New ms261cm chain usually tight when cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctcowboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got a new MS261cm and noticed a smell the first time starting it.. and subsequent times its still there.. I thought it might be a "new saw smell" but its been too long... Ive got 2 tanks through it and I know chains tighten when they get cold etc but something just doesn't seem right...(yes chain brake has been released). I shouldn't have to loosen the chain prior to each use should I? After use it prob has a little more sag then perfect and its oiling correctly as far as i can tell...The chain does loosen up after a couple revs but something is def holding it back until the chain gets spinning... I dont want to cook the new saw... I have a 25 yo ms170c (since new) and 2 husky 455 ranchers (10 years) and have never seen this...Could this be a chain brake issue or stuck clutch or am i just being a paranoid new daddy?

Yes, you should check the chain before each use. Tighten or loosen or leave as is, as necessary. I check for sag as an first indicator, but the final check is -- does it rotate easily?

Yes, you should check the chain before each use. Tighten or loosen or leave as is, as necessary. I check for sag as an first indicator, but the final check is -- does it rotate easily?
Yes I check the chain before each use...So far in the dozen or so cold starts-- it doesn't freely rotate with my hand when cold...(or with the side of a screwdriver) In 40 years of using saws i've not seen this.. The 2nd time I used it I took the bar and chain completely off bc I thought the chain brake was stuck...If the chain was sagging to good when hot- and it tightens up so tight i cant hand spin it when cold- im gonna be forced to loosen it on startup-- then tighten it... just seems excessive compared to any saw ive owned... I can go out and hand spin any cold saw i have- new chain or not-- but not this saw?

How does the clutch/ sprocket turn if you have the bar an chain off? Next,where do you have the oil set at? I just checked mine and it turns freely. If nothing else I would take it back to the dealer being a new saw. Good luck.

How does the clutch/ sprocket turn if you have the bar an chain off? Next,where do you have the oil set at? I just checked mine and it turns freely. If nothing else I would take it back to the dealer being a new saw. Good luck.
oil is wide open.... ill check the sprocket when its cold--- (its 10 out so shouldnt take long)

Saw cooled down-- double checked chain-- have slack but wouldnt budge even with tool-- pulled bar and chain-- sprocket and clutch drum cant be spun by hand...they are tight as ****-- id pop the clip but bc this saw is new im heading to the dealer as something isnt adding up here...

Saw cooled down-- double checked chain-- have slack but wouldnt budge even with tool-- pulled bar and chain-- sprocket and clutch drum cant be spun by hand...they are tight as ****-- id pop the clip but bc this saw is new im heading to the dealer as something isnt adding up here...
Yep. That doesn't sound good. Let the dealer **** with it.

Metal expands when it gets hot snd contracts when it cools.

A relatively tight chain when warm will turn into a really tight chain when cooled.

I always give the chain some slack after cutting if I am going to leave the bar and chain on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I glossed over your post right before mine.

Did you check the brake? Pull back on the handle...

I just got a new MS261cm and noticed a smell the first time starting it.. and subsequent times its still there.. I thought it might be a "new saw smell" but its been too long... Ive got 2 tanks through it and I know chains tighten when they get cold etc but something just doesn't seem right...(yes chain brake has been released). I shouldn't have to loosen the chain prior to each use should I? After use it prob has a little more sag then perfect and its oiling correctly as far as i can tell...The chain does loosen up after a couple revs but something is def holding it back until the chain gets spinning... I dont want to cook the new saw... I have a 25 yo ms170c (since new) and 2 husky 455 ranchers (10 years) and have never seen this...Could this be a chain brake issue or stuck clutch or am i just being a paranoid new daddy?
Well, things shrink when extremely cold…
sorry, couldn’t resist 🤣

Latest posts

Back