New saw for me - thanks dad ;)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad your dad taught you investment in quality. He'll be with you forever.

Id much rather limb with a 500 than something small.
Maybe unless branches are only willow size.

What would you do in this case?
I'm not exactly sure. I don't know the fella that lost his dad. Maybe you do? I lost my dad years ago in 05. He died at a young age of 60. I wouldn't want anything to happen to anything that reminded me of him and we did not get along until about four years before he passed. Between my brothers and I. I'm the one that inherited most of his firearms and every time I look at one or take one to the range or in the field hunting. It reminds me of the good times we spent together at the range or hunting and who tought me proper firearm safety and responsibility as well as good morel hunting ethics. Nothing wrong with having something that reminds us of the ones closest to us. The death of one close comes to us all. Sometimes a little earlier than we would like. Im not exactly sure what you meant in your comment that some people are getting upset about. Thats why I find the comment interesting. Hard to judge ones character over the internet. Not everyone is as they appear or come across and not everyone reads one another the same. I've made stupid jokes and comments on this forum before and some people just took it as if I was a rude a**hole! I guess they just didn't get that it was just a joke. Some people have thick skin, others have skin thinner than kerosene.
"If" you're comment didn't at all offend the man it was directed at? I wouldn't do anything in this case. If it did offend him? I'd apologize like a g*d d*m man! If you not sure? Id ask he himself if he was offended then go from there. Its not a big deal really in the whole grand scheme of things! 👍

Will elaborate tomorrow...its 1AM here!
No need. Its really none of my business and very rude to talk about others without including them in the conversation. Especially when there is deceased involved. You asked me what I would do in this case and I told you what "I" myself would do. Take it or leave it with a grain of salt Pard.

Thankyou, that is all.👍

I lost my father almost a year ago (1/31/22). He lived a great life and taught me a ton. He was a "quality" guy and wasn't afraid to spend money on quality products. I had the privilege to work with him in a family business for almost 20 years. He left me a small amount of money and he always told me to pick something up after he passed. Yesterday, I purchased a Stihl 500i with a 20" bar.

Congrats my friend. Every time you pick up that saw, you pick up the strength of your family.

I like the idea of the new saw to remember your dad. If it ever blows up you just hang it on the wall and it's no less special.
This old saw is one of only 3 items in my possession that belonged to my grandfather who died in 1971 before I was born. I fixed it up and tracked down several parts. It runs OK but seems to need a carb rebuild (I think I put a diaphragm in it over 20 years ago, it seems to not supply a consistent flow of fuel to the engine.)
Anyway, it's a connection to a grandfather I never met. Even if I ever messed up and melted the piston, it would have the same meaning.

20221224_101742_HDR.jpg

Some people can’t handle weight, I hope the OP has many years of joy cutting with his new beast of a saw.
I definitely get that. No argument here. Im just saying a 500 with a 20" bar isn't at all what some would consider a heavy power saw. A 660 wearing Pro Safety five points, Pro S FW bars, and a standard weight .63g 32" power match is a heavy saw when compared to a half wrap 500 spinning a .50g 20" loop. Im sure he'll just absolutely love that 500! I know I definitely would! That thing is going to have a serious set of stones fir a bone stock power saw! Especially with a 20" bar! Im happy fir the man and his memories to come! Im not looking fir an argument. 😉 👍

My parents are 93 & 88,have some of the usual problems which accompany age.I'm blessed that both are still here,and it will be rough when they go.I'm getting along in years myself (59) and had a major scare last winter (Covid,with 104 fever,blood clots which stopped my heart 3 times,was revived,bronchial pneumonia,woke up 2 days later in ICU after a medically induced coma,no idea who or where I was,on a ventilator the first 3 days,31 days in hospital total,lost 30 pounds while there,no solid food for 22 days.Intensive physical therapy the last 14 days to get strong enough to get released.)

But I went home mid January,recovered,gained most of the weight back (and my strength) by mid April,was using my saws,cutting,splitting,stacking wood by early May.It wasnt easy by any means,but you have no idea how grateful I am to EVERYONE,especially the nurses & medical staff for still being alive,actually stronger now than before all that crap happened late Nov. 2021.
Never was a very religious or spiritual man but I wake up every morning give thanks for still being here.

Nasty? He lost his father.....and now you (and other tree hugers) want him to get attached to things that reminds him of his father....

That way he will never (or at least will take him longer...) get over him.

My advice is that he should take advice(s) from other (hobby) arborist or lumberjacks on this forum....and not so from tree huggers here.

Life happens.....and we have to shuffle trouhg it!

What a ridiculous response!

Besides the garbage you wrote in relation to sentimental attachment to memorabilia, do you really think a so-called 'tree-hugger' would be a member of a chainsaw forum?

Have you thrown out all the photos of any members of your family who have died? If not, why not?

I lost my father almost a year ago (1/31/22). He lived a great life and taught me a ton. He was a "quality" guy and wasn't afraid to spend money on quality products. I had the privilege to work with him in a family business for almost 20 years. He left me a small amount of money and he always told me to pick something up after he passed. Yesterday, I purchased a Stihl 500i with a 20" bar. I know the 500i is more than what I need, but I really just wanted to buy the best and not second guess anything. My family has 4-5 acres of woods with a lot of work to be done. I have other bars that I can use with this too, but I'm really liking this 20" setup for now. If you parents are still alive, reach out to them today and tell them that you love them.

View attachment 1048650
Very sorry for your loss. I lost my father a few years back also and I got the majority of his tools handed down to me. Even though I had most of what he had already I still kept everything. Each time I use one of his tools his memory comes to the forefront of my thoughts. "There goes dad helping me again", I think.

I know it's not necessarily the 500i you bought, it's following the advice you took from your father about quality tools that is the meaning behind your message. Most people seem to understand and appreciate that.

Please ignore the certain individual who is very obviously simply an azzh*^e. Sorry, but I just had to say it.

Oh, just got my 500i a couple of weeks ago, man you're in for a treat!

Nasty? He lost his father.....and now you (and other tree hugers) want him to get attached to things that reminds him of his father....

That way he will never (or at least will take him longer...) get over him.

My advice is that he should take advice(s) from other (hobby) arborist or lumberjacks on this forum....and not so from tree huggers here.

Life happens.....and we have to shuffle trouhg it!
Hey bud don't be a buttwipe. No tree huggers here. If the guy wants to honor his father, who are you to crap on his gig? It sucks to lose a parent to age, war, disease. We all lose in the end. We ALL keep going. Isn't there enough bad **** being said without stumblebunnies like you just taking a whizz all over somebody just to make your voice heard? Stay in your lane bro.

My point was...why "invest" into something that can fall appart to honour/have memory on that person...

In my case.....I am thinkering with an idea to buy katana to my father....

He mentioned it countless times in past 20yrs.....

And when he will one day unfortunately pass away (he is 78yrs old now)....I will have something that will remind me of him till my death some day

Daily used chainsaw is not something that you can lean memories on...

And I am typing for a third time now that my intention was not to atrack OP with anything...

I dont know... Am I interacting with "slow lane" users here?

Back