New Saw Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labans

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some help picking a very lightweight but powerful small chainsaw, 14" in size. I just don't know the brands well enough to know which brands are A+. I currently run 40+ year old Partner S55 that is a wonderful, powerful beast, but it is heavy and not a good
saw for cutting the limbs or small trees.
Thank you

I’ll “Echo” the 3510, I recently bought one and it is super light, about 10 lbs with bar/chain/fluids. Mine did run like crap out of the box had to pull limiters and tune it. If you needed more saw but still light, I’d seriously consider the echo 4910.

Huskie 540i either top handle or rear handle depending on your preference. I'm going all battery for saws less than 50cc and 16" bars, save my little echo 2511.

Stihl and Husqvarna tend to be A+ IF you are buying their professional grade saws. Not that their other saws are bad...but a professional Echo is going to be better than a "homeowner grade" Stihl or Husqvarna.

@Tigwelder83 's suggestion for a (higher power) battery saw is a good tip. I'll convert to all battery for in-tree saws in the next year (big chunk of change...but I'm convinced it will be worth it). However, I wouldn't want a battery saw all day long in the woods when I'd normally use 6 tanks of gas.

I almost bought a Husqvarna 543XP for doing grapevine and small invasive shrub removal. I have a Stihl MS261 that is great for that .... when it starts. It has been a bear to start sometimes - even after having it back at the shop. If I were buying that size again, I'd probably get a Husqvarna 550XP. The 543XP would do that stuff and be lighter to carry around the woods which is why I looking at that.

Stihl and Husqvarna tend to be A+ IF you are buying their professional grade saws. Not that their other saws are bad...but a professional Echo is going to be better than a "homeowner grade" Stihl or Husqvarna.

@Tigwelder83 's suggestion for a (higher power) battery saw is a good tip. I'll convert to all battery for in-tree saws in the next year (big chunk of change...but I'm convinced it will be worth it). However, I wouldn't want a battery saw all day long in the woods when I'd normally use 6 tanks of gas.

I almost bought a Husqvarna 543XP for doing grapevine and small invasive shrub removal. I have a Stihl MS261 that is great for that .... when it starts. It has been a bear to start sometimes - even after having it back at the shop. If I were buying that size again, I'd probably get a Husqvarna 550XP. The 543XP would do that stuff and be lighter to carry around the woods which is why I looking at that.
I have 3 battery units. A 540 husky, 200 stihl for the ground, and a h65 battery pole saw. Awesome saws, raced the 200 against a stihl 241, and beat it fairly is a 6" biscuit contest

Back