New saw running lean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowmow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Experts,

Looking for some guidance on my new chainsaw which seems to be running lean out of the box. Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Filled the oil reservoir will fresh 2-cycle oil.
2) Checked the spark plug - looks fine. As always, I tightened it until it starts to get easier, then back off a quarter turn.
3) Reversed the chain to put a fresh edge on the wood.

In spite of having everything right, I'm having a difficult time getting it to run rich enough. I can keep it running on ether while tuning, but even then it bogs down after a while.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

The sparkplug needs to be adjusted with a Langstrom encabulator wrench. Then the chain on the blade must be lapped to the drive shaft. Only then can the lean setting be addressed. My preferred methodology for this is to secure the saw in a work vise and spin the crankshaft with an air impact wrench. Ensure that the saw is level prior to attaching the electrodes or you will get a false reading.

JQ

Thank you JQ. I think you are onto something. The impact is working better than I expected and I am able to cut at a decent rate with the impact running, though the vise does get in the way a bit. Will need to check eBay for a used Langstrom encabulator. They seem to be getting harder to find since the malls all closed up.

Thank you JQ. I think you are onto something. The impact is working better than I expected and I am able to cut at a decent rate with the impact running, though the vise does get in the way a bit. Will need to check eBay for a used Langstrom encabulator. They seem to be getting harder to find since the malls all closed up.

Those Langstrom Encabulators are hard to get. I have an extra, on sale. Send an SASE and $99.99 and I will ship it the next day.

Hey Experts,

Looking for some guidance on my new chainsaw which seems to be running lean out of the box. Here's what I've tried so far:

2) Checked the spark plug - looks fine. As always, I tightened it until it starts to get easier, then back off a quarter turn.

In spite of having everything right, I'm having a difficult time getting it to run rich enough. I can keep it running on ether while tuning, but even then it bogs down after a while.

I don't think you can be helped! It's you, not the saw!

Hey Experts,

Have you checked and adjusted the muffler bearings?

Have you checked and adjusted the muffler bearings?
After extensive looking, it appears that mine doesn't have the adjustable type muffler bearings - feeling kind of gypped. Hoping there's an upgrade kit - nothing beats a muffler with adjustable bearings. Hoping MontanaResident has one to go with the Encabulator - I think they're univeral as long as you have the Whitworth-inch-metric type.

I think you will find that if you drill a 1/32 passageway from the output of the oil pump to the crankcase it will give you the proper ratio of 32 to 1. It should also set your idle at 3200 RPM. If this idle causes the chain to turn all the time I usually just stick the end of the bar in the ground between cuts. Will also clean any sawdust off the chain.

Hey Experts,

If your serious and it's not an april fool joke, your better putting it back in the box and paying someone to do your cutting. You will live longer.

Latest posts

Back