New Saw suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReddTigger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So about me, been in the automotive business for years and always have quality tools.. buy the best you can and they'll outlast you, (hopefully)

Started doing firewood for a local group that has bonfires monthly. my 20 year old poulan died and needed a replacement, so I went and got a MS261CM (october 2019) as this was considered a perfect fit for a single saw for my needs..
then my needs changed..
I traded in my ms261cm for a 362cm (January 2020) as it was needed for a bigger job then the 261 could handle. I've outfitted the 362 with 25/20/16 in bars but still seemed heavy for light work.
It's a great saw but cutting up small stuff all day wears on my 50yr old back..
I picked up a MS180 (March 2020) which is a feather, and i am happy with what it does but feels like a toy compared to the MS261Cm I had..
but I feel like I'm not fully outfitted..I'm cutting a lot more wood for other people and things and thinking maybe making some side money this way..

I do not have another manufacturers dealership close enough to go with husky or others, but I am very happy with my Stihl dealer and the products.

in a couple of months I will have saved enough for something else..

my dealership still has a MS241cm that I can pick up for a small saw.. or I could get another 261cm as i really liked that saw...
or I could trade in my 362 for a 462cm or even bigger.. 661,, but that may be overkill..

I do prefer the M-Tronic they seem to work well for me.

my question is..

what would you choose to do and why ?

Some of us find that a 70cc saw with a longer bar like 28+ inch keeps us from bending over so much and saves us back pain. i prefer my 372 with 28" or ever 36" bars over my 50cc saws with 18" bars. The weight of the saw bothers me less, within reason, if I just don't have to bend over. A well balanced saw also helps with less fatigue.

You came to the wrong group of guys, the next thing you know you'll have 50+ saws and the biggest problem will be running them enough to keep the fuel systems from gumming up from the cheap fuel we have nowadays. Just kidding. I have a 660 and love it. For what you NEED, it may be over kill. For what you WANT it may be just right. When I bought my 660 it was as a medium size saw because I have at least 10 bigger ones.I like big saws.

So about me, been in the automotive business for years and always have quality tools.. buy the best you can and they'll outlast you, (hopefully)

Started doing firewood for a local group that has bonfires monthly. my 20 year old poulan died and needed a replacement, so I went and got a MS261CM (october 2019) as this was considered a perfect fit for a single saw for my needs..
then my needs changed..
I traded in my ms261cm for a 362cm (January 2020) as it was needed for a bigger job then the 261 could handle. I've outfitted the 362 with 25/20/16 in bars but still seemed heavy for light work.
It's a great saw but cutting up small stuff all day wears on my 50yr old back..
I picked up a MS180 (March 2020) which is a feather, and i am happy with what it does but feels like a toy compared to the MS261Cm I had..
but I feel like I'm not fully outfitted..I'm cutting a lot more wood for other people and things and thinking maybe making some side money this way..

I do not have another manufacturers dealership close enough to go with husky or others, but I am very happy with my Stihl dealer and the products.

in a couple of months I will have saved enough for something else..

my dealership still has a MS241cm that I can pick up for a small saw.. or I could get another 261cm as i really liked that saw...
or I could trade in my 362 for a 462cm or even bigger.. 661,, but that may be overkill..

I do prefer the M-Tronic they seem to work well for me.

my question is..

what would you choose to do and why ?
261 and 462 should cover just about anything that comes your way. I am a Husqvarna guy but those are 2 stihls that I would buy if I needed any more saws.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I would go with the 241 and 362. There’s something to be said for a 462 with a 28-32, but if the 362 meets your needs I wouldn’t spend the money on the 462.

The 261 and 462 will be the perfect team.
I cut my own firewood for a lot of years and had an 026 Pro and an MS460.
They were perfect.
If you don't get the 462 you wonder what it would have been like.....................

462 with 25" or 28" bar = not bending over so much

(I'm 58)

He already owns a 362c. I’d say instead of loosing the money on trading the 362 towards a 462, send it out to get ported. Then buy the 241c.

He already owns a 362c. I’d say instead of loosing the money on trading the 362 towards a 462, send it out to get ported. Then buy the 241c.
It's only a 2 month old saw. And I got 2 years warranty. My dealer traded me well in the 362 and I'm sure he'll do the same if I went to a bigger saw.
If I keep the 362 after warranty I may alter it.
They were perfect.
If you don't get the 462 you wonder what it would have been like.....................

(I'm 58)
That was my original intention. If I needed bigger to get the additional 462.. but things changed before my wallet could adjust and needed a saw more capable then the 261..

Well, that's the situation I was in. I had a cherry 026 and bought a new 036 Pro. I just wanted more schnort......... I had the exclusive rights to gather up the butts on a log landing on evenings and weekends after the loggers left for the day. Some of the butts were big, some twisted knots of beautiful "all-nighters" as I call them. So I sold my 036 before the warranty expired and bought my 460. Never regretted it one bit. EXCEPT................ that I really liked the 036 and would have liked to have all three saws.

T
They were perfect.

(I'm 58)
I have a 261 on my horizon.

Back