New Setup Comments/Advice Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VPI

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here but I've been reading around on this forum for a couple weeks now. I'll detail my plans below and hope for some sage advice/info/corrections. This will be used mostly for milling and only occasionally as I unfortunately have another 50 hr/week job.

This all started with a 58", 11' silver maple log I have left from a tree that I had cut down in my yard. It was dying and dropping branches regularly during mild storms. I was going to have someone come pick it up, mill it and split the lumber with me (some bench and table slabs as well as 1 bys) on barter, but after thinking on it, I decided to mill it up myself. I have run a friends Granberg mill with a MS461 and 32" bar several times in the past and grew up cutting firewood with my dad for a dual woodstove household. I also have 20 acres with 12 acres being woods and have my mind on milling lumber for a small cabin in the near future. I plan in practicing on smaller wood before milling the big maple. I understand this big tree is an anomaly so I do not plan to buy an outfit large enough to tackle it, rather I'll buy a smaller but still versatile setup. I plan to "top cut" three sides of the maple, then essentially notch or square cut chunks from each side using until the mill setup fits both vertically and horizontally.

I will be purchasing a 48" Granberg MKIV (for future versatility) and a True Timber Edging device (runs on 2x6 board). I have narrowed the saws to a 395XP or the MS661. Leaning toward the 395XP for lack of electronics, better oiler (or so I have read) and better air filtration. I plan to purchase a 42-48" bar at a later date. However, I still can't make the final decision on which saw. Service is great for both brands in my area. I have also been looking for used/reconditioned but have not had any luck.

Next would be the bar/chain selection. I would prefer a 36" bar in .375" and .050 gauge but this combo is only found on the 32" bar with Husky. If I go 36"/.375/.063, will this be a problem in trying to keep my kerf as narrow as possible with the addition of a 48" bar in the future? I plan to buy some Oregon ripping chain due to great deals I've found at the local Caterpillar dealership.

Finally, fuel mix ratio. 40:1, 32:1? I've read myself in a circle.

So there it is, let the levees overtop. Thanks in advance.

It averages 58" on the stump end. The other end, which would have been 11-12' off the ground is about 58" by 48". This log shows no rot on either end. I already milled up the upper part of the tree and it was more solid than I expected with just a small bit of rot where an old branch caught water and it gradually seeped into main part of tree. This tree was limbed back by previous owners several times throughout its lifetime and only about 1/4 of its branches filled out with leaves each year. I counted about 90 rings. I really hated to cut it down but it got to be too much of a hazard. I'm sure there's some metal waiting for me in it so it'll have its revenge.

Hello all,

First post here but I've been reading around on this forum for a couple weeks now. I'll detail my plans below and hope for some sage advice/info/corrections. This will be used mostly for milling and only occasionally as I unfortunately have another 50 hr/week job.

This all started with a 58", 11' silver maple log I have left from a tree that I had cut down in my yard. It was dying and dropping branches regularly during mild storms. I was going to have someone come pick it up, mill it and split the lumber with me (some bench and table slabs as well as 1 bys) on barter, but after thinking on it, I decided to mill it up myself. I have run a friends Granberg mill with a MS461 and 32" bar several times in the past and grew up cutting firewood with my dad for a dual woodstove household. I also have 20 acres with 12 acres being woods and have my mind on milling lumber for a small cabin in the near future. I plan in practicing on smaller wood before milling the big maple. I understand this big tree is an anomaly so I do not plan to buy an outfit large enough to tackle it, rather I'll buy a smaller but still versatile setup. I plan to "top cut" three sides of the maple, then essentially notch or square cut chunks from each side using until the mill setup fits both vertically and horizontally.

I will be purchasing a 48" Granberg MKIV (for future versatility) and a True Timber Edging device (runs on 2x6 board). I have narrowed the saws to a 395XP or the MS661. Leaning toward the 395XP for lack of electronics, better oiler (or so I have read) and better air filtration. I plan to purchase a 42-48" bar at a later date. However, I still can't make the final decision on which saw. Service is great for both brands in my area. I have also been looking for used/reconditioned but have not had any luck.

Next would be the bar/chain selection. I would prefer a 36" bar in .375" and .050 gauge but this combo is only found on the 32" bar with Husky. If I go 36"/.375/.063, will this be a problem in trying to keep my kerf as narrow as possible with the addition of a 48" bar in the future? I plan to buy some Oregon ripping chain due to great deals I've found at the local Caterpillar dealership.

Finally, fuel mix ratio. 40:1, 32:1? I've read myself in a circle.

So there it is, let the levees overtop. Thanks in advance.
The chain gauge has no affect on kerf. This is just the thickness of the drive link. The .063 will actually oil better. I have a 661 with a 36" bar. Wish I would've gotten the .063. The saw does very well but I haven't done a lot of milling with it. Just a few projects. I don't think you'll go wrong with either saw.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Got a quote on a 661 yesterday evening with a 36" bar for $1175. The same dealer, who has been in business at this location for 30 plus years, is also a Husqvarna dealer. He said he doesn't stock the Huskys anymore since they started selling in the big box stores. He said the quality of the saws has decreased. I'm going to talk to a more Husky exclusive dealer to get his perspective. The electronics are really bothering me, warranted or not. On the Stihl, it carries a 1 year non-commercial warranty and if you buy a 6 pack of the mixing oil for $14, you get an additional 1 year warranty for a total of 2.

Got a quote on a 661 yesterday evening with a 36" bar for $1175. The same dealer, who has been in business at this location for 30 plus years, is also a Husqvarna dealer. He said he doesn't stock the Huskys anymore since they started selling in the big box stores. He said the quality of the saws has decreased. I'm going to talk to a more Husky exclusive dealer to get his perspective. The electronics are really bothering me, warranted or not. On the Stihl, it carries a 1 year non-commercial warranty and if you buy a 6 pack of the mixing oil for $14, you get an additional 1 year warranty for a total of 2.
Both husky and stihl had some growing pains with the auto tune/m-tronic in the beginning. Both seem to have everything figured out now. Typical for new technology. My 661 is great. You really have to consider model as much as brand. Pretty significant difference between the pro saws and homeowner/farm-ranch offerings. Not trying to sound rude but you'll probably get more reliable information from these forums than most dealers could give you. Maybe find a local dealer or saw enthusiast and see if you could run some saws.

Go with the 395XP , 50" Cannon bar x .404"pitch x .063" gauge, fuel 50:1
After each cutting pass clean your air filter, and use an auxiliary oilier.
FInd a dealer who actually knows his sh%t about commercial saws!

395 is a better saw to mill with. 32:1 for milling for me. Keep it tuned down to about 12.5k stock or muffler modded.

Go with .063 chain whatever you decide on. Wider groove doesn't plug with chips as easy.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have a new development...

A different less local Husky dealer is recommending the 390XP over the 395XP. Said he has a customer who runs a chainsaw Alaska style mill 30 hours a week and traded his 395Xp for a 390Xp and absolutely loves it. Said it has more torque and uses much less fuel. It seems he also bought a bunch of the 390XP's on a volume deal so he may be pushing this model for other reasons.

Will the 390Xp be able to run a 40-50" bar if I expand to that in the future?

Thanks for the replies so far. I have a new development...

A different less local Husky dealer is recommending the 390XP over the 395XP. Said he has a customer who runs a chainsaw Alaska style mill 30 hours a week and traded his 395Xp for a 390Xp and absolutely loves it. Said it has more torque and uses much less fuel. It seems he also bought a bunch of the 390XP's on a volume deal so he may be pushing this model for other reasons.

Will the 390Xp be able to run a 40-50" bar if I expand to that in the future?
Maybe this dealer could put you in touch with this guy. Would give you a chance to see for yourself. I haven't run any bars that long but I'm sure it could on occasion.

I'll be picking up a new 395XP with a 36" bar tomorrow - $1187 plus tax. I'll definitely cut some easier wood for a couple weekends in order to break in before slapping it on the mill.

Thanks again for all the advice and comments.

I'll be picking up a new 395XP with a 36" bar tomorrow - $1187 plus tax. I'll definitely cut some easier wood for a couple weekends in order to break in before slapping it on the mill.

Thanks again for all the advice and comments.
Congrats! Don't forget to put up some pics

That is the premium oil which is all I will mix with at the one station that has Non-Ethenol gas. Not for the longer warranty. Mines been ported and mm'd ;for the longevity of my 2 stroke power tools. I got started with Stihl and to stay with bar/chain combos that cross match it is all I buy. Works well enough 4 me.
Your mileage may very

Latest posts

Back