New Stihl bar, chain hard to turn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm still new to maintaining a chainsaw. Got a Stihl MS250 that finally needed a new bar after 15 years. Bought the same bar, and the chain is new and matches my old chain. Both are the same gauge 0.063.

I installed it but the bar would not turn by hand. I also noticed I kind of had to push the links into the bar as I was tightening the chain.

Started the chainsaw, gave it throttle, it didn't move. I gave it throttle again and it broke loose and started spinning, and cut great.

Turned her off and tried turning the chain by hand. It's possible but it's definitely harder to turn than my old bar was. Is that normal? I could turn the chain on my old bar with just one finger. With the new one I have to grab it with my entire hand and really pull. It is smooth though, just hard to turn.

Wasn't sure if this was normal, for a new bar to need broken in. I tried spraying some oil in the links and that helped a hair.

Thanks all for the advice.

Hey all, I'm still new to maintaining a chainsaw. Got a Stihl MS250 that finally needed a new bar after 15 years. Bought the same bar, and the chain is new and matches my old chain. Both are the same gauge 0.063.

I installed it but the bar would not turn by hand. I also noticed I kind of had to push the links into the bar as I was tightening the chain.

Started the chainsaw, gave it throttle, it didn't move. I gave it throttle again and it broke loose and started spinning, and cut great.

Turned her off and tried turning the chain by hand. It's possible but it's definitely harder to turn than my old bar was. Is that normal? I could turn the chain on my old bar with just one finger. With the new one I have to grab it with my entire hand and really pull. It is smooth though, just hard to turn.

Wasn't sure if this was normal, for a new bar to need broken in. I tried spraying some oil in the links and that helped a hair.

Did you put the new chain on it or your old one? It sounds like the chain might be the wrong gauge, the drive links might be buggered, or it could just be because it's a new bar and it has tighten clearances.

Thanks for responding pal. I checked both boxes - they're both the same gauge. I put the chain on my old bar but didn't even run it. I was installing it when I saw my old one was bowed so uninstalled. Ya maybe it just has tighter clearances but was alarming for it to stick like that!

If everything is correct it is probly just the paint needs to be wor off. Put chain on little loose and run it a bit then re tighten and see how it is.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

And do you mean the sprocket on the end of the bar? I counted it has 11 teeth like the original! I even held them side to side and turned them in unison to check ha!

They seemed OK to me? But appreciate you wanting to check for me

Attachments

• 20210319_195529.jpg
    20210319_195529.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 75
  • 20210319_195535.jpg
    20210319_195535.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 20210319_195540.jpg
    20210319_195540.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
The pic may be misleading, but it seems like the pitch of the sprocket does not match the pitch of the chain?
Get a new sprocket with the pitch of the chain/bar combo...

Back