New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
picked up an omni block and a 28" bar for my 500i today, also spent $100 on motomix (for the 500i not gonna risk pump gas in it, also all my stuff is running better on it during these hot days)
got a large pine tomorrow thats gonna need the 28"
that blue pulley and carabiner combo is super useful, the omni is on a 5/8" sling, but I have a 100ft spool of 1/2" tennex tec on order to make slings for the onmi and ISC blocks, and for the 2 rings sitting in the corner of the picture
1656704442339.png

We did overload the 115 ton crane a bit and the operator was not a happy camper.
and he shouldnt be happy, the cranes have a black box just like a plane, overload it and lose your insurance
saw a guy on facebook complain about it, "overloaded past 120% 128 times" or something along those lines, took it in for service and the shop called his insurance company and they dropped him on the spot

Nice ute, must be robbing the good folk of Tennsee blind.....

One thing always careful with tree work related equipment is not to much bling, sure new gear is good, strong, practical & fit for purpose is great, but overt extravagance, particularly in the private market, can cause people to question why they are paying such a rate. Of course ratty, beat up & worn out gear also doesn't install confidence the other way.

I'll admit you have seem to have balls kid, even if they haven't dropped, but all this talk of the 'hell gnarly trees that no-one else will touch....', don't oversell yourself. One day your going to get pointed at a real gnarly thing that is going to spank the confidence right out of you. In an adult life in the vertical world, not just trees, I've seen many confident people get beaten up & some never recover their nerve.

Develop a quiet confidence, undersell, over deliver.

It’s a long way to the top, if you wanna rock ‘n’ roll.

and he shouldnt be happy, the cranes have a black box just like a plane, overload it and lose your insurance
saw a guy on facebook complain about it, "overloaded past 120% 128 times" or something along those lines, took it in for service and the shop called his insurance company and they dropped him on the spot

Hahaha. There’s a whole bunch of jokes in there for me, but I’m just gonna let it go.:laugh:

new toy: 2004 ram 2500 24 valve cummins 6 speed 4wd quad cab, interior is mint, exterior is also mint, 2nd gear hill starts all day with the dump trailer and it doesnt have an issue
View attachment 999924

Lol… Pa’s tree service looks like it’s really coming along. Now if he can just keep the scrawny, Virgin pimpled back boy in check, he’ll be good.

Great company to work with.
lucky, re-scheduled with my company after they never showed up got a call this morning that its a no-go, trying to pull some strings but ive got another crane company (that doesnt do trees but will come out and see what they can do for using the ball as an overhead tie in) and a contract climber coming out to look at it, I feel bad for the customer as I have had to re-schedule about 5 times now
all this because I upset another tree company when I refused to let him on my job

lucky, re-scheduled with my company after they never showed up got a call this morning that its a no-go, trying to pull some strings but ive got another crane company (that doesnt do trees but will come out and see what they can do for using the ball as an overhead tie in) and a contract climber coming out to look at it, I feel bad for the customer as I have had to re-schedule about 5 times now
all this because I upset another tree company when I refused to let him on my job

Lmao. Is this this still that same spindly little tree you posted up pics of weeks ago? Lol, that thing is like a 2 on the difficulty scale. :laugh:

It was 3800 lbs. It did most of the work in that courtyard. The production difference between a smaller self propelled unit and a big diesel is incredible.

We've had the contract for a couple months waiting for school to get out. We did overload the 115 ton crane a bit and the operator was not a happy camper. We all learned new words over the comms. Took smaller picks after that. All picks were at least 100' out. Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience lifting grinders with cranes!

Just really lifting my units around with the HIAB truck crane, which was always the plan, having both track loader & stump grinder on the tool truck together gives that capacity to get everything done at once, more efficient, cuts out the hassle of ramps & the need for sub-contracting another machine. Distances are quite large as well in our state, so reducing the travel time always important - think last time I got a crane in, 3 hours travel for 1-1.5hrs work, & they only charged for part of the travel.

It is pretty cool placing the grinder right on a stump in front of you with the crane remote in your hand. Had a look at a job last night lifting a water tank off a tall stand, was considering craning myself up with remote to rig it, but ran out of light, so will go back with two person crew.

Property owner also had a Thomas 35DT, bought it with the property. First time have had a chance to look at one close up. Seems like a solid machine, controls were simple to operate. Track drive system seemed like it could be a weak point though, good thing about the Vermeer is the drive system is basically a scaled down version of the full size track loaders.

Just really lifting my units around with the HIAB truck crane, which was always the plan, having both track loader & stump grinder on the tool truck together gives that capacity to get everything done at once, more efficient, cuts out the hassle of ramps & the need for sub-contracting another machine. Distances are quite large as well in our state, so reducing the travel time always important - think last time I got a crane in, 3 hours travel for 1-1.5hrs work, & they only charged for part of the travel.

It is pretty cool placing the grinder right on a stump in front of you with the crane remote in your hand. Had a look at a job last night lifting a water tank off a tall stand, was considering craning myself up with remote to rig it, but ran out of light, so will go back with two person crew.

Property owner also had a Thomas 35DT, bought it with the property. First time have had a chance to look at one close up. Seems like a solid machine, controls were simple to operate. Track drive system seemed like it could be a weak point though, good thing about the Vermeer is the drive system is basically a scaled down version of the full size track loaders.

I've actually never seen another Thomas 35DT. Funny, you found a Canadian machine out in rural Australia. We beat the life out of ours every day and it keeps going strong. I have had some issues with the track drive system- front idlers breaking off, throwing tracks, etc. I'll eventually consider buying a second mini skid as we're creating a mini skid platform between the cab and body of the chip truck we're building. A new mini skid is quite spendy around here. I think Dingos are running close to 40k now and I bet Vermeer is a little more.

I actually use my New Holland tractor as the primary forwarding equipment though. We don't have to worry about getting through small gates around here. The PTO winch comes incredibly handy. We use it to fell large leaners regularly.

You use your equipment setup very cleverly. What is the capacity on that knuckleboom crane?

Latest posts

Back