New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pdqdl, Yes, thank you. Except that I still don't understand why the crane didn't warn the operator of a dangerous situation. Heck, my new to me spider talks to me before an uh oh moment is about to happen. BTW, my curiosity simulator warned me not to post this, but I ignored it.......
Thanks again for your reply. You are right - I should have been more observant.

We don't know the final details of what was said, who screwed up, nor whether it was idiots or otherwise. This whole conversation about the crane was an exercise in observation and knowledge, intended to show at least one member here that publishing snap judgements about a failed operation with a very limited experience is unwise.

well damn, way to twist things into your favor

I call that "seeing the facts" and not making silly presumptions. Guessing is ok, but be sure you identify where you don't know the facts. If you would be a bit more cautious with your shotgun answers, your statements wouldn't have quite so many holes in their logic.

here is the video of the incident
see that, outriggers in the air from an overload, also see how nothing is moving till the rear outrigger snaps? the crane was in the air well before the video starts, notice how the pick is NOT moving, almost like it wasnt even cut yet, hmmm, too much pre tension? see that boom deflection, wayyyy too much pre tension, see how easy it would have been for the operator to get out and look into the back yard to see the pick?
as far as im concerned I am done with this topic, it is not benefiting anyone or anything other than your ego @pdqdl

Excellent work finding that video! Thanks.
Of course, that documents what I was saying all along. My ego feels considerably refreshed now that you proved true what I said happened. :cheers:

Since the outrigger in the rear wasn't fully extended to the side, it predisposed the truck to tipping front end up-and-over onto the side. When the crane's weight was mostly perched on that left-rear outrigger, the whole assembly was twisted off the rear of the truck, because it wasn't built to carry that much weight in the off-perpendicular angle the force was being applied. When that happened, the rear of the crane settled somewhat violently and the crane stopped tipping onto it's side when the fully extended boom crashed into the ground.
Quite frankly, it did happen a bit slower than I thought. I kinda imagined that it took about 5 seconds to tip up, break the outrigger, and then fall. The angle of the load is exactly as I described.

Now if you would start answering the many questions I have posed to you, I'd be more receptive to your comments about my huge ego. Unless you would like me to go back and show you all your misstatements and post my unanswered questions at you again, I'd suggest that you do drop it. Your statement reveals, however, that you haven't learned anything from it.

if you are as smart as you say, then lets see your crane operator cert, otherwise you are talking out your ass like you accuse me of

I have made no such accusations, nor have I claimed any level of intelligence. I've not even made any assertions about my relative skill at crane operations. That response (along with your previous ego comments) sure sounds like a personal attack against me.
(It is also a stated policy that members are not under any obligation to provide any proof of any claim on this website. So don't even think about asking me for any "certifications")

All I have done is politely pointed out faults with your comments and I gave you a personal challenge to prove your competence at evaluating crane lifts, which I must say, you failed completely.

It's OK here to criticize someone's content, but when you start attacking the person, then you are crossing the line. I'll advise you to carefully discern between defending your statements and "punching back", as you have promised to do.

You are not in my weight class, and you should be a bit more restrained; this is a fight you cannot win.

Kindly show me a load chart that displays the proper scale for a partially extended outrigger. Especially valuable if you can ID the crane in question and find the right chart. Otherwise, you need to button up a bit.

Again, you are displaying your ignorance. As mentioned before, outrigger scales are not present on every crane. Ooops. There went that crazed notion. And even if there was, the outrigger scale doesn't tell you anything until the cut log hits the cable.

You don't even know if it was catching a cut log that caused the problem. A simple operator error is often the cause of a turned over truck. There you are, operating at close to the limit, and you pull the wrong lever or go the wrong direction.... EGAD! and over you go.

I don't guess you thought of that, did you?
pdqdl is much more calm and controlled in his responses to the zin. having no filters and being sick an tired of the vast knowledge that he doesnt have, i would have responded in a much more abrupt manner.

pdqdl is much more calm and controlled in his responses to the zin. having no filters and being sick an tired of the vast knowledge that he doesnt have, i would have responded in a much more abrupt manner.

I haven't always been so nice. These days, I'm expected to set the standard if I am also going to enforce it. Besides, it's actually more fun to be nice than to be scornful. I'd much rather have an opponent left speechless because I have taken away the opportunity to retaliate with more vitriol.

Besides, if I'm ever wrong about something, it's a lot easier to fix my errors if I haven't been vile all the way down the path to Mistaken-land. Crow is much easier to eat if you haven't dressed it first with habanero sauce & spoiled anchovies.

That's a really nice stand of wildflowers. They don't look too "wild", however.

No, not too wild. These people have been here panting stuff and working on the gardens for 50 years or something like that. The lady does most all of the gardening. It’s crazy.

Oh, and they bought the five acre property for 13k back when. Pretty cool.

putting new mid rollers (or whatever morbark calls them) and front idler pulley bearings on my boxer
lost a mid roller bearing, then a front idler wheel bearing, tracks are off, machine is pulled apart already, going to be an easy fix and play with it more tomorrow once thats done, then stick my fourwheeler in the shop and put a new ignition coil on, once thats done then an oil change in the mower, need to do oil changes in everything, maybe time to start buying 15w40 in 5 gallon buckets

Bid on a dozen or so removals today for a municipality. I've never sold piece of wood in my life but I wonder if these walnut logs could fetch a couple bucks?Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 9.41.10 PM.png

That's my 2022 Tacoma rental. I've put 1000+ miles on it in the last 2 weeks. I'll be sad to give it back tomorrow! Really nice little truck to get up and go.

My guys took out about 25 (mostly) red pines and ash today. It's unbelievable what hiring 2 extra guys can do to speed up your production (5 total).

Walnut is common around here. The mills won't even buy a city tree.

I've got two veneer mills within driving distance of my shop, and I've never managed to sell them a log. You gotta be in the business and be a regular producer, otherwise the buyer just rips you off. It's been quite a few years since I tried contacting them, but the logs I had wouldn't hardly pay for the fuel to deliver them.

I see a number of defects in those trees. I'm sure a savvy tree harvester could get some money out of them, but I've only managed to sell one log in all the years I've been cutting them down. That being said, I never had a giant prizewinner, either.

I have made no such accusations, nor have I claimed any level of intelligence. I've not even made any assertions about my relative skill at crane operations. That response (along with your previous ego comments) sure sounds like a personal attack against me.
(It is also a stated policy that members are not under any obligation to provide any proof of any claim on this website. So don't even think about asking me for any "certifications")

All I have done is politely pointed out faults with your comments and I gave you a personal challenge to prove your competence at evaluating crane lifts, which I must say, you failed completely.

It's OK here to criticize someone's content, but when you start attacking the person, then you are crossing the line. I'll advise you to carefully discern between defending your statements and "punching back", as you have promised to do.

You are not in my weight class, and you should be a bit more restrained; this is a fight you cannot win.
You can't buy class and you pdqdl have class.

I think zin is in his own weight class and this whole teaching moment went right over his head. We were all 13 years old at one point in our life. Can't say you didn't try!

You can't buy class and you pdqdl have class.

I think zin is in his own weight class and this whole teaching moment went right over his head. We were all 13 years old at one point in our life. Can't say you didn't try!

I haven't given up. I'm trying to set an example, and maybe that will cause a conversion. The guy is obviously going to grow in the business, and there is no point in making enemies when he might become one of our best members.

He certainly put in the work to find that crane video, eh? He wants to win these conflicts, and he's willing to work for it. If he just learns that being right is the best way to win an internet fight, then he'll be a convert.

Don't say that class thing too often or too loud. You might stir up some of my many detractors. I've got quite the history of irritating folks for the fun of it. I've been trying to change my habits, so your comment is quite appreciated.

Nice looking property! Keep up the pictures!

Yeah, those pics are so nice I'm thinking that he's got a special camera on that. The wildflowers in front of the trimming shot shows some real photographic talent, in my opinion. I'm thinking they should have posed less, though, and captured some falling wood in that scene. Few things can beat a well framed action shot.

Walnut is common around here. The mills won't even buy a city tree.

I've got two veneer mills within driving distance of my shop, and I've never managed to sell them a log. You gotta be in the business and be a regular producer, otherwise the buyer just rips you off. It's been quite a few years since I tried contacting them, but the logs I had wouldn't hardly pay for the fuel to deliver them.

I see a number of defects in those trees. I'm sure a savvy tree harvester could get some money out of them, but I've only managed to sell one log in all the years I've been cutting them down. That being said, I never had a giant prizewinner, either.

Don’t look at a job without calculating how much extra can earn in the ‘product’ coming out of it - be it mulch, fuelwood, feature or structural timber.

Many jobs might just be a handy $4-500 on top, other jobs will double the earn of the job. Have a ten day job (first stage) quoted while on ‘holiday’, 2-4 20 cube truckloads of acacia mulch per day to come out, being sold to an organic garlic farm for part of their compost blend, who then on-sell to one of the countries largest supermarket chains.

Ha! That's funny. I wish I could get paid for our mulch.

We are lucky if we can find someone to take it for free, otherwise we pay for disposal. There are a few companies that are set up for processing their own mulch into saleable mulch, but that takes a much bigger operation than mine.

You see, in this part of the world, tree grow like weeds, and there are ample supplies of tree companies. Chippers are common, and there are lines of trucks waiting to dump their accumulated mulch. Some of the guys take the time to turn the wood into firewood, and a rare few will even process it into lumber. The market for those products isn't too good, either.

Back