New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atta boy. Did you feel like you underbid the job at 2500 to begin with. That was a big tree!

That's a money log!

I have a great log buyer that we work with. Mostly just covers trucking when we do these multiple pine removal jobs.
I was pretty stoked it worked out better than I anticipated.

I would have bid the tree around 3500 but I took a gamble on the wood value and it surprisingly paid off! We did have to drop off the wood but it wasn't too far.

Does your log buyer come to you with a grapple truck?

Ice Station Zebra this morn….

(yes, there is hardy eucs up here)

View attachment 1010152

Snowy Mountains (New South Wales) - one of the ski resorts (Perisher), transferring to the oversnow to go up to another little tucked away ski area.

Modest mountains, but unique, riding through gnarled snow gums is not something you can do anywhere else. Nice to get away back to the mountains & spend some time backcountry, guys working like demons back home, keeping the wheel turning. Was climbing out of a cirque today, kind of in a though provoking spot (ice falling from cliffs above, weather changing, trying to not to slide on the variable surface) & trying to explain how to deal with a gearbox gremlin on one of the trucks.

Lol. Sounds riveting.

I am still working in Morris/lakeside CT. Cutting more dead ash trees than I can shake a dried out petrified baseball bat at. Lol. I think I’ve hit a “honey hole” of these petrified, evil trees!!

Good work and money though. My new/old guy is a ground beast, any more importantly we laugh our asses off all day. The way it’s supposed to be.

pine job canceled, did a big part of a chipping job, got 2 brush piles and a sycamore down, 1 dump trailer load of logs and 84 yards of chips so far, another load of chips and half load of logs to go (roughly)
bid a large poplar that is over primaries, been topped before, and has lots of deadwood (neighbor to the chipping job and the hackberry we did yesterday)
all in all a really productive day, 70 yards of chips today, 14 yesterday (they got 84 yards for free), 7 yards of logs, ripped most of the logs down the middle so we could chip the bigger stuff, spent all day chipping sycamore, my nose feels better than ever!

I was pretty stoked it worked out better than I anticipated.

I would have bid the tree around 3500 but I took a gamble on the wood value and it surprisingly paid off! We did have to drop off the wood but it wasn't too far.

Does your log buyer come to you with a grapple truck?
That's awsome. I'm glad it worked out.

We have a log truck owner operator we call to haul to the log buyer. I pay the log truck driver $300 to haul. I'll haul the junk peices in my dump trailor and all the money logs go to the log buyer. I suppose if it was more than one trip that $300 price tag would go up.

Pa giant can lift some weight. That's incredible.

I guess that's how you minimize the dreaded ash cleanup debris. Rig everything down.

We are on a 15 dead ash tree removal job. We are felling everything and we will probably have a half day of just cleanup debris.

The baby giant is nice for everyday tree work but it definitely slows to a halt when we have to deal with heavy trunk wood. Any thoughts on a bobcat A300 "wheels that steer" or would you go with a larger Giant MDS?

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 0
I really have no experience or knowledge of the A300 type machine. Sounds interesting, and I’ve heard of them, that’s about it.

Far as the big giant goes, my dealer was telling me that the comparable model to mine (smogged out) is 102k now with no attachments. Ouch. I paid 80k for just my machine.

Pa giant can lift some weight. That's incredible.

I guess that's how you minimize the dreaded ash cleanup debris. Rig everything down.

We are on a 15 dead ash tree removal job. We are felling everything and we will probably have a half day of just cleanup debris.

The baby giant is nice for everyday tree work but it definitely slows to a halt when we have to deal with heavy trunk wood. Any thoughts on a bobcat A300 "wheels that steer" or would you go with a larger Giant MDS?

Do you have the BM grapple rake? I hear from everyone they’re sweet. I gotta get one eventually here.

*sorry, forgot the “rake” part lol

Do you have the BM grapple rake? I hear from everyone they’re sweet. I gotta get one eventually here.

*sorry, forgot the “rake” part lol
We do actually. It has its place. Best used in winter when the ground is frozen. It really shines on blacktop while doing town work or cleanup on driveways. On the lawns it tends to only get the big stuff with the smaller debris left behind perfect for the leaf blower. The scoops however stay on the machine going to every job. They are worth there wait in gold. We use the sh!t out of them.

Off topic but branchmanager.com sells the qc coupler. We just picked one up and it's a game changer. Why didn't I think of this!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-210340_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220818-210340_Chrome.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 0
I really have no experience or knowledge of the A300 type machine. Sounds interesting, and I’ve heard of them, that’s about it.

Far as the big giant goes, my dealer was telling me that the comparable model to mine (smogged out) is 102k now with no attachments. Ouch. I paid 80k for just my machine.
Ya thats about the same info I have aswell. I may have an opportunity to buy one in the future as the guy I purchased the 19xpc from retired and after this season is getting out of the game completely. We will see.

I would love your papa giant with the teli option. That was a smart decision to buy that bad boy.

I'm starting to not have enough room around the yard I rent. I think my next step is buying a property. Does it ever end!

Love seeing and hearing about all the dead Ash removals. Wish I could say I missed all the cleanup, but I don't. :surprised3:
Western Massachusetts is at peak EAB half are alive and half are dead. It's an all out ash bash!

I used to hate white pines due to how unpredictable they were, Now I hate ash trees. Once dead the unions turn to partical bourd.

One day I will post the ash tree that almost got me while climbing last year. That was the sole reason I got the spider lift. Can't do tree work when your dead.

We have a bmg rake and the one for the root grapple. They cut down dead ash cleanup considerably. Well worth the investment!
I have the scoops too. We've actually never used them!

Oh and thr quick connect coupler is top notch!

Latest posts

Back