New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
played with my chipper for the first time today, what can I say, it chips wood into smaller bits, clutch is taking some getting used to (can kill it with one finger, but takes two hands and bouncing on it to "over center")
maybe needs backing off the adjustment a little?

played with my chipper for the first time today, what can I say, it chips wood into smaller bits, clutch is taking some getting used to (can kill it with one finger, but takes two hands and bouncing on it to "over center")
maybe needs backing off the adjustment a little?
Start slowly engaging it in low rpms. Gently raise rpms while engaging it. Takes a minute. That 250 is a bear of a chipper. Great machine... you'll also want to get another couple sets of knives and flip them every few weeks depending on how much you're using it. This should be it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132321708877?hash=item1ecefd0b4d:g:6~0AAOSwisVZsY-c

Comes with bolts too, which you'll want to replace regularly.

Start slowly engaging it in low rpms. Gently raise rpms while engaging it. Takes a minute. That 250 is a bear of a chipper. Great machine... you'll also want to get another couple sets of knives and flip them every few weeks depending on how much you're using it. This should be it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132321708877?hash=item1ecefd0b4d:g:6~0AAOSwisVZsY-c

Comes with bolts too, which you'll want to replace regularly.
thanks for the link, according to the pervious owner the knives are a year old, but the edge feels almost the exact same as the new edge (knives havent been flipped yet)
I might go flip them, and adjust the anvil anyways, some of the chips coming out were quite large, mostly smaller but some more "mulch" than chips
I would think the 140hp cummins would have enough low end torque to spin up that disk at idle easier than it does, gotta slip it for 30-45 seconds, maybe I should be "bumping" it?

The only thing I would worry about is the auto feed kicking in more and the potential for the chips to kind of barf over tailgate without the extra torque of the diesel. I’m sure it’ll be fine, especially if you keep it sharp, but that was one of my concerns when considering the gas option.
gas is a hard no.

thanks for the link, according to the pervious owner the knives are a year old, but the edge feels almost the exact same as the new edge (knives havent been flipped yet)
I might go flip them, and adjust the anvil anyways, some of the chips coming out were quite large, mostly smaller but some more "mulch" than chips
I would think the 140hp cummins would have enough low end torque to spin up that disk at idle easier than it does, gotta slip it for 30-45 seconds, maybe I should be "bumping" it?
A new knife is exceptionally sharp. I've cut a finger gently touching one. I'm surprised if it's in decent shape after a year. We flip or change our chippers knives at least once monthly.

Big chips is a sign that the knives are dulling or the anvil is either rounded out or too far. You really only 1/16th of an inch max space between anvil and knives. It's almost like scissors.

You have yourself a nice chipper for a good deal at 15k. At least in 2022 prices.

A new knife is exceptionally sharp. I've cut a finger gently touching one. I'm surprised if it's in decent shape after a year. We flip or change our chippers knives at least once monthly.

Big chips is a sign that the knives are dulling or the anvil is either rounded out or too far. You really only 1/16th of an inch max space between anvil and knives. It's almost like scissors.

You have yourself a nice chipper for a good deal at 15k. At least in 2022 prices.
then id say they are dull, id think for what they do "sharp" is sharp enough (scissors sharp for example)
should be more like a razor blade?
I will have a look at the anvil and see how it is, just gotta figure out a pin to hold the top feed roller up (all my pins are missing)

@tree MDS I recall you having a flag setup on a chipper so you could see it when reversing it behind your chip truck, can you post up a pic, I might be doing something similar with mine here soon, its hard enough to back up behind my F350, with no bed and a back window to see out of

@tree MDS I recall you having a flag setup on a chipper so you could see it when reversing it behind your chip truck, can you post up a pic, I might be doing something similar with mine here soon, its hard enough to back up behind my F350, with no bed and a back window to see out of

You mean like the little orange plastic rods that go into the pipe on the fender? No, I know what they are but have never had them. You can probably get those at a TSC or something like that. Like training wheels for backing up lol. Probably a life saver if you have a real small chipper, or an air compressor or something like that back there.

26001 and up with less then 10k trailer = class b
26001 over 10k trailer = class a
16k to 26k (in illinois ) = class c non cdl(each state has control over under 26k requirements) Add a 10k or less trailer you are still class c add 10001 and you are class A cdl.
Less then 16k standard car license. You are also allowed up to 26k gross combined weight truck and trailer. So 10k truck can pull 16k trailer no cdl.... Ford ranger can pull 20k (makes sense right?)

Now if your truck has a gvw of 33k u plate it 26k u need a cdl they go off actual gvw. You can plate it under weight you still need the proper license but you pay less registration cost but you must not weigh more then the plate. There are 2 different overweight tickets, over registered weight then over gvw.
A bucket truck with chip box is very easily going to want to weigh more then 26k and only being able to chip a couple yards vs fill the box will be very annoying. You can only play with dot so much b4 they bend you over....
But you can be a person who has never driven anything bigger than a sedan, buy a 30,000 gvw motor home, hook up a 20 foot (13,000gvw) trailer and drive away on a regular license in Michigan. A few states require additional licensing. I'm not bitter about this issue as you can tell. :omg:

But you can be a person who has never driven anything bigger than a sedan, buy a 30,000 gvw motor home, hook up a 20 foot (13,000gvw) trailer and drive away on a regular license in Michigan. A few states require additional licensing. I'm not bitter about this issue as you can tell. :omg:

I dunno… think about it, those dudes are old, maybe they deserve a free pass to drive a 30,000 lb, 400hp motor home with a grand Cherokee on back while wearing shorts, drinking a beer and yelling at the old lady… just seems so American. Maybe hit Yellowstone. Lol

I dunno… think about it, those dudes are old, maybe they deserve a free pass to drive a 30,000 lb, 400hp motor home with a grand Cherokee on back while wearing shorts, drinking a beer and yelling at the old lady… just seems so American. Maybe hit Yellowstone. Lol
if you are in california, you would drive one of those climate destroying monsters, but you would be towing a tesla just to be PC.

You mean like the little orange plastic rods that go into the pipe on the fender? No, I know what they are but have never had them. You can probably get those at a TSC or something like that. Like training wheels for backing up lol. Probably a life saver if you have a real small chipper, or an air compressor or something like that back there.
Was someone else then
Just looked at a 55ft bucket on a topkick, 1992, unknown brand of bucket (nameplate is hard to read) model is "h829" on the plate, insulated, square tube, non pistolgrip controls, any brand idea? (I'm thinking a lift-all, which has parts and service thru altec)
I inspected the entire truck, boom is solid, no movements it shouldn't have, I flew it and it felt good, getting it Sunday if it's not sold by today

Attachments

• 20220520_101904.jpg
    20220520_101904.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
I can feel it coming… within a few weeks now!!
I gotta get the chipper and bucket truck paid off first, no more buying for me!
it seems you do lots of bucket work, how do you like it? mine is 55ft (shorter than I think I need, but can do a good portion of my work, I needed a chip truck and for the same price I got a bucket, so its a win win
any tips for a bucket? I cant find anything on lanyards, ive heard the normal 6ft "shock pack" lanyard is a no-go, what do you use?

Back