New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the feed back. We will see.

On another note MDS. I meant to send this to you sooner. This takes care of that well placed zerk on your 254t. We got sick of jamming it up with wood so we threw a 90° on ours. Solves the problem!

What is it with grease nipples in ridiculous locations on otherwise well designed machinery?

Stump grinder cutter wheel pillow block bearings - face down in the dirt, maximum wear & tear, always blocked up or torn off.

Fireground.

fg-jpg.990020

Attachments

• FG.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 134
Yikes. Almost looks like treeman’s hell.

You must have a much better labor pool over there. Most of what we get here seems pretty pathetic to me. Of course admittedly I suck at the whole interviewing/hiring thing. I tend to just grab whatever I can get and try them out. I don’t see what the difference is, really, they’re all bound to disappoint for the most part anyway.

Anybody out there have any thoughts on why my top feed roller on the 19xpc seems to be working intermittently?
if its like my 250, look at the hydraulic system on the infeed chute, there should be 2 wires, remove the plugs and clean, screw back on (if its like mine, there is a Philips screw in the back of the plug that holds it in place)

You get off the fence and order a new bucket or lift yet, or are you going crane?
Nothing for right now. If I z
You get off the fence and order a new bucket or lift yet, or are you going crane?

I'm not doing anything right now but if I did it would be a rear mount terex 60/70 with a super short wheel base and a locking rear end. That truck would be very nimble. For me I could bring two trucks to the job. Tow the mini with the bucket truck and chip truck. Go back and get the wood later.
I think we have one more good year of ash trees in my neck of the woods so I probably wouldn't buy a lift.
I'm definitely not ready for a crane but I do believe that if you are in the tree REMOVAL business and can swing a crane its a huge money maker.

Anybody out there have any thoughts on why my top feed roller on the 19xpc seems to be working intermittently?

Not sure if your 19xp has the drum housing sensor (on the access hatch)? The seven pin plug is usually my first port of call for feed roller / auto feed jumpiness, a good clean of the plug & socket usually works wonders.

That & material binding around the roller bearing shaft, but that is usually bottom roller.

The 2015 1390xp recently ticked over it's 1000 engine hrs. Scored it with new motor, has been a weapon of a chipper for it's size, with the 142hp Cat, demolishes hardwood up to 18" horizontal with the oversize infeed.

Keep it well maintained & engine hours low with efficient machine feed chipping, much of our work is off road & in dusty / muddy conditions, or bashing through overgrown tracks, so keep a protective coat of grime to keep paint protected from sun & scratches. Twice a year wash brings out the showroom Bandit green.

The usual Bandit hydraulic weeps around the pressure relief valves & the ridiculous light alloy toolboxes Bandit use **** me, but otherwise a well engineered machine, perfect for it's purpose. Shackled to a 120 tonne (264k lbs) GCM Scania warhorse, it's 4 tonne (8800lbs) ball weight is irrelevant, so the extendable drawbar & hydraulic jack they did away with on newer models of this size machine are great features couldn't do without. Replaced the chute ram & manual jockey leg, re-welded a couple of brackets around tail lights, replaced bottom feed roller bearings, other than that, standard chipper maintenance.

Watched a large tree company 'crew' flap around with a Bandit 18XP today trying to clean up a medium storm damage tree today while up in city to service crane. Embarassing & painful to watch, no wonder they bugger their chippers so quickly. Ran non-stop for three or four hours, maybe 30 mins max of chipping time, clutch engagement & rev control was the very actualisation of the Bandit cartoon. Smashing the infeed with a small Schaffer articulated loader for good measure.

1390xp-jpg.990236

Attachments

• 1390XP.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 97
The 2015 1390xp recently ticked over it's 1000 engine hrs. Scored it with new motor, has been a weapon of a chipper for it's size, with the 142hp Cat, demolishes hardwood up to 18" horizontal with the oversize infeed.

Keep it well maintained & engine hours low with efficient machine feed chipping, much of our work is off road & in dusty / muddy conditions, or bashing through overgrown tracks, so keep a protective coat of grime to keep paint protected from sun & scratches. Twice a year wash brings out the showroom Bandit green.

The usual Bandit hydraulic weeps around the pressure relief valves & the ridiculous light alloy toolboxes Bandit use **** me, but otherwise a well engineered machine, perfect for it's purpose. Shackled to a 120 tonne (264k lbs) GCM Scania warhorse, it's 4 tonne (8800lbs) ball weight is irrelevant, so the extendable drawbar & hydraulic jack they did away with on newer models of this size machine are great features couldn't do without. Replaced the chute ram & manual jockey leg, re-welded a couple of brackets around tail lights, replaced bottom feed roller bearings, other than that, standard chipper maintenance.

Watched a large tree company 'crew' flap around with a Bandit 18XP today trying to clean up a medium storm damage tree today while up in city to service crane. Embarassing & painful to watch, no wonder they bugger their chippers so quickly. Ran non-stop for three or four hours, maybe 30 mins max of chipping time, clutch engagement & rev control was the very actualisation of the Bandit cartoon. Smashing the infeed with a small Schaffer articulated loader for good measure.

1390xp-jpg.990236

1390xp-jpg.990236
We have a similar way of doing things. We will cut and stage brush all day and then run it through the chipper with machine. It's efficient and most days the chipper warms up and cools down longer than actual chipping time. Our 1390xp is a 2012 with 730hrs. It likes soft wood at capacity. Your 142hp 1390xp I can imagine is a real beast! I love the hydro jack. Havent seen that on a 15" machine. I hate when I hear a chipper running with nothing going through it.

Check out my mudflaps from Australia. The previous owner of Bandit tree equipment sent them to me. I've got the coolest mudflaps in the states! It's the little things in life, right?

Attachments

• 20220505_134143.jpg
    20220505_134143.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
We have a similar way of doing things. We will cut and stage brush all day and then run it through the chipper with machine. It's efficient and most days the chipper warms up and cools down longer than actual chipping time. Our 1390xp is a 2012 with 730hrs. It likes soft wood at capacity. Your 142hp 1390xp I can imagine is a real beast! I love the hydro jack. Havent seen that on a 15" machine. I hate when I hear a chipper running with nothing going through it.

Check out my mudflaps from Australia. The previous owner of Bandit tree equipment sent them to me. I've got the coolest mudflaps in the states! It's the little things in life, right?

Low hours for a 2012. Steel wheel arches on the chipper as well, mine has the same light alloy ones as toolboxes. They have held up, but certainly not the same durability as rest of machine. I like the extendable drawbar for reversing with larger vehicles.

Truck bin is blinging!!

You must have a much better labor pool over there. Most of what we get here seems pretty pathetic to me. Of course admittedly I suck at the whole interviewing/hiring thing. I tend to just grab whatever I can get and try them out. I don’t see what the difference is, really, they’re all bound to disappoint for the most part anyway.
I feel like I'm pretty lucky about employees for the most part. They are either guys who I have picked and trained myself or they're guys who my sons have "filtered" before I talk to them. I probably don't spend as much time training the new guys as I have in years past. I just don't have time to spend training ground guys. Once they get to a certain level.....then I will spend more time on whatever I want them to focus on. But we don't waste a lot of time on crappy people. We pay pretty well and I expect things to be perfect. I am always saying...I am not paying you to be fast....I'm paying you to be perfect. A little speed doesn't hurt but be safe and perfect.

So apparently there was enough play in the feed bar linkage to cause this little “chicken wing” (as the bandit guy called it) to cause it to hit the back of the second feed roller detent valve and not fully actuate. There’s two valves and both are linked together on this machine. It looked like a new little paint chip where it was hitting the cap. I think the play just got too extensive finally. I ground the “wing” just so it had minimal clearance and did a load and a half of chips yesterday and zero issues. Hopefully that was all it was. I wish every fix was that easy lol. Next would be checking pressures, etc., which isn’t a big deal, but probably a trip to my mechanic for all that. 35120EDE-DC6F-45DF-8B22-4D3EC0E769B7.jpeg

Yeah, super clean looking chipper! Nice. That chip body is beautiful too!! I like how the roof is set up so you can get a loader in. Does it have vents?

Latest posts

Back