New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helmstien has some good advice.

I think what you've done so far is pretty exceptional when other kids your age spend all their time playing video games. I appreciate that you are a real "go-getter" willing to take risks on a business and be your own man.

That said, at your age and experience level you should stick with smaller, easier jobs. You could easily market a brush chipping service and "small jobs" and do well. Funny thing is that stacking small, easier jobs can be a better money maker than doing the difficult ones. With just you and your equipment you can easily make 1000-1500 per day like that. Getting a stump grinder will help you with this strategy too.

If I can be painfully honest with you, I'm trying to imagine a customer, after having larger companies turn them down, be willing to hire a 16 year old for a large, dangerous tree. If I can be totally frank, it seems immoral of them to put you at that kind of risk.

An overconfident attitude is what gets people seriously injured or killed and I'm concerned about you.

I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails. I think your work ethic is pretty awesome and I know you can do really well with the right strategy. I just don't want you to die.
I find it interesting, that I get the big trees that nobody else will do
my day rate is $1500 for big jobs, or for stuff like view clearing $150 per hour (when customer is adding work as we go)
we stay busy enough for half the income to go to the house and bills, and the other half to buy equipment regularly!
typically we work slower but also much safer than anyone ive met that does tree work

to add to my last post:
I wouldnt even be able to afford fuel if I stuck to small trees, I get one every few months vs large multi day jobs every day, would have to get a different career and sell out of trees if I had to stick to the small jobs
even tho I hate large trees, they are also lots safer than small trees IMO (normally farther from houses, and much sturdier)

Do you get to take home your own custom pfanner protose hard hat at the end?? Some high viz shirts with the camp logo??:laugh:
got my own protos, paid for out of pocket
no fancy camp high vis, although we are getting some custom high viz made with my logo and phone number soon

also, a protos can survive a 60ft fall, dont ask

Did it fall off you scrawny head? Lol
slice cut a cedar top, and my chin strap wasnt buckled (I forgot it, or it came undone due to a twig, the world may never know)
here is the culprit, sucker got bendy by the time I was taking a top out of it
1653777338082.png
rigging out chunks after helmet recovery
1653777411386.png

Oh right, that must’ve been that other big nasty you posted pics of lol “they all ran from it”!!! :laugh:
not this time, was a neighbor that was impressed by our work, basically name your price and the customer you are working for does the selling

got allot of jobs in that neighborhood

Nice pic. Where’s the after?

I could get a pic of me doing that while smoking a cigarette and posting on AS with my wraptor. Doesn’t mean you did anything. Just saying.

Nice pic. Where’s the after?

I could get a pic of me doing that while smoking a cigarette and posting on AS with my wraptor. Doesn’t mean you did anything. Just saying.
removed 2 trailer loads of brush and dead wood, stacked the rounds for the neighbor (about a cord of limb wood for him)
1653780296507.png

Here’s a pic of my back up/trimming/under cdl chipper. 2004 250xp with quad rollers, hyd chute and JD 125 diesel. That was my second chipper. We painted it 11 years ago.
5B1C12EC-FF76-437B-B5DF-4C5C9FBFC489.jpeg

You are so far out of your league in this thread you don’t even have an idea. I for one am losing patience. You come across as annoying and belittling to the work we have spent our entire lives doing… you and that hodge podge beginner setup really should consider going over to the 101 thread for a few years before posting here anymore. Show some respect. You’re just trying (and succeeding at) to be annoying at this point and I think you know that. Put in your time, then come back maybe. Just my two cents. Nobody really wants to hear it.

Back