New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lmao. Better get some “hands on” training under your belt first. The “cranes” Could be scary for you at first, Pimples. Lol
have been around equipment and cranes my whole life, removing a tree with a crane just mixes 2 things im extremely comfortable with, nothing about it scares me any
except one thing, that damn oak tree is dead, crispy dead (as in knock limbs off the top by being aggressive with your flipline on the way up, just gonna ride the crane ball)

Going to demo that 87-48aj again Friday. Doing bids today I was thinking how much easier some of these jobs would go with it

buying another truck this week if the guy doesnt sell it out from under us, normal pickup this time, 2004 ram 2500 SLT 24V 5.9 cummins, NV5600, 4x4, 150K miles, SRW, one tiny rust spot over driver rear tire (tyre for the upside down clowns)
other than the one rust spot its spotless, fresh oil change, fresh fuel filter, and almost new tires, also has a trailer brake controller
Judging by the way you talk and act, I wouldn’t call anybody a clown.

Yep, never quite stacks up with this kid. We have various similar restrictions around probationary licenses for younger drivers, heavy vehicles etc. No way you would have pimply sixteen or seventeen year old piloting a 30,000 lb weapon down the open highway.

A law upon themselves down there in Tenseee.

I'm 47 now, but WAY back when I was in grade school there was a kid named Lance that was a grade ahead of me that was pretty tall for his age. His dad was a farmer. Our town was a small town of maybe 700 people in west central Indiana. I clearly remember riding my bike down to get the mail one day in 2nd grade. When I got to the stop light (the only stop light in town), I sat there at the corner waiting for the light to change. I look up and see Lance driving a loaded grain truck down the highway through town. His dad was in the field running the combine and Lance was running loads to the grain elevator. Here, grain trucks can be, and normally are registered as farm equipment making them exempt from most traffic laws. Lance now owns a cattle business and last time I heard he was farming a little over 25,000 acres. He's probably got a couple of other farming related businesses as well. I'm not exactly sure how he's doing, but another friend of mine used to work for him during the fall. One day he didn't get the corn head up far enough while crossing a water way and he ran the head into the ground on the far side bending it. Lance told him to head home for the rest of the day but be back to the field by daylight. he had a brand new combine waiting for him when he showed up, so I'd say Lance is doing alright. As a bit of a side note, it's not the cost of the machine that caused me to take notice of this event. It's the fact that you just can't find one available for sale or rent in October, especially not a new one.

You guys are to much. Haha

Going to demo that 87-48aj again Friday. Doing bids today I was thinking how much easier some of these jobs would go with it
It sure is a weapon. I climbed a lot of dead trees before I came around to buying the 87-48aj. It all comes down to what is your life/coworkers life worth. Being in peak E.A.B. where we live made the decisions even easier. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I only have 30 hrs on the unit. Not an expert yet by any means but happy to help.

Attachments

• 20220616_112309.jpg
    20220616_112309.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I had fun with a crane today... Actually it can be pretty stressful! I can't imagine owning one. If I had half a million dollars lying around I can think of other ways to spend it.

A spider lift on the other hand...

View attachment 999478

I though it was just me that found stump grinders awkward to rig up for lifting. Ungainly things with hoses everywhere, they really should come with an attachment point. How did you move the big trailer unit around in that courtyard?

sg-1-jpg.999732

Attachments

• SG 1.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 97
I though it was just me that found stump grinders awkward to rig up for lifting. Ungainly things with hoses everywhere, they really should come with an attachment point. How did you move the big trailer unit around in that courtyard?

sg-1-jpg.999732
Looks like we rigged ours very similar to yours on the axle. We actually had 3 stump grinders going in that courtyard. Saves on crane fees!

The old rayco is quite beast. We used my mini skid to move it around.

Looks like we rigged ours very similar to yours on the axle. We actually had 3 stump grinders going in that courtyard. Saves on crane fees!

The old rayco is quite beast. We used my mini skid to move it around.
What does the trailer grinder weigh? A pack of stump grinders. Would have been quite the ruckus in that courtyard. Was that job undertaken during school holidays or weekends? Just asking because have to schedule my school jobs around 'out of school' times, for obvious reasons. Why was that courtyard getting cleared?

Actually basket rig the new Vermeer, tried attaching to wheels, aside from the hassle of four slings, there is also a hydraulic wheel motor and hoses under each wheel, so lots of parts not wanting to damage. So have managed to find a narrow slot at each end where can fit slings through for each lift (Is lifted on & off truck each time, so had to dial in the technique).

Can be tricky getting the balance right lifting the grinders, slightly different head position changes the whole weight distribution, my old Rayco loved to tried & roll on it's side, the bastard thing. Don't know how I relented to buy another grinder after that devil.

Back