New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PTO winch comes incredibly handy
we are looking to get some land, log it and clear some areas to build a house and shop, im looking at those skidding winches as they seem super useful, and for the price of a dingo I can get a small tractor to run the winch, loader, grapple, anything I need on a tree job, without destroying yards
what winch and tractor combo do you run? anything you would change?
bigger the better for the loader and winch, BUT you lose the ability to fit through a gate, the skid would probably do better on hills but sorta one use for double the price the way I see it

Time to bump those prices! How much are you looking to increase? Pretty easy to justify it now with the cost of diesel fuel, inflation, and the necessary rise in cost of labor
Considering I’m already low on my hourly, and combined with the factors you’ve mentioned; I’m going to shoot for 15 to 20%. Business is strong, but a salesman at another company told me their leads have died off recently.

MDS was a big proponent of using a tractor on jobs just a few years ago, but now look what he uses. Just assuming, but he’s not going back any time soon either. Lol

You’re 100% right there. I was just talking about that with one of my guys yesterday. He worked with me ten years ago for a year or so. I was saying how much things have changed as I was loading wood with the mini giant and they were raking. In the old days a guy or two would’ve been tied up hooking chains. Sometimes one on the ground and one waiting in the truck to unhook. It worked well for the times though. A huge step up from the lift gate/dump truck of 25 years ago lol.

I know what Mike is saying about how useful that winch is though. When we need it, it’s a life saver. The guys are generally amazed at its power. Just different. It’s like comparing a lift to a bucket.

Best part about the tractor these days is having it around the yard to load topsoil, stacks of plywood, etc., without having to take one of the other machines off their trailers.

we are looking to get some land, log it and clear some areas to build a house and shop, im looking at those skidding winches as they seem super useful, and for the price of a dingo I can get a small tractor to run the winch, loader, grapple, anything I need on a tree job, without destroying yards
what winch and tractor combo do you run? anything you would change?
bigger the better for the loader and winch, BUT you lose the ability to fit through a gate, the skid would probably do better on hills but sorta one use for double the price the way I see it
1656773451872.png
1656773485784.png

I own the new holland 33hp with a uniforest winch. Jake, with whom we regularly subcontract, runs a 37ish hp John deer with Farmi winch. Both have weighted tires and front grapples. My grapple is a little larger for carrying bigger (or more) wood. His closes a little tighter for grabbing brush. Both weigh 4000-5000 pounds.

We don't often deal with small gates in our context. But I will say that a tractor with the right tires is much less invasive on lawns than a tracked mini skid. It's just a bit heavier. Their ability to run up hills is the same and, unlike my mini, they have gears and will move a lot faster. My mini has a 25hp Kubota so the tractors are significantly stronger and can carry much heavier loads. They can also lift material much higher and better load trucks.

I sometimes use the winch to skid logs (it has 3 slides so we can skid 4 logs at a time) but most often I use it for felling opposite leaners and fishing out material in areas that aren't as accessible with a mini loader.... or just getting big tops to the chipper.

The uniforest winch is rated for 7,000 lbs of pull, so if you have a high enough tie in point you can pull huge trees where you want them. You need to know what you're doing, and how to hinge properly, and we sometimes will use both tractors to pull something particularly big and scary (pictured).

If your context doesn't involve a constant need to fit through narrow gates, a tractor with winch and grapple has more advantages- and is cheaper- than a mini loader.

I recently priced out a new LS 33 hp tractor for 23k. Not sure if that came with the loader arms but adding a grapple (1500-4000) and wallenstein winch (4-5k), brings it around to 30k. A new dingo without a grapple is pushing 40k now. But there are a lot of used tractors around too (at least easier to find than a mini). I bought my used new holland for around 10k. Don't forget to have a 3rd function kit installed too so you can use a grapple.

A bigger tractor (40hp plus) will really move some wood and be better at moving full size saw logs if you're into selling logs. They are just harder to transport to the job and are heavier on lawns. I've never sold a piece of wood so I wouldn't know. The 30-40hp range seems to be a good fit for residential tree work. Also my tractor takes up all of my 16' dump trailer.

When I worked in Los Angeles I had never heard of a skidder winch and probably would have thought that using a tractor for tree work would have been unusual. A mini skid would have been amazing there.

All in all, I'd say in the right geographic context, a tractor with a skidder winch and grapple is a highly underutilized tool in residential tree work with incredible benefits.

Nice! I love that it has a little dozer blade on it. You're going to make your money back quick!
This is the beginnings of the "second crew". One guy with pickup truck and grinder can go off and grind stumps all day, and use the push blade to leave them in nice piles.

The next day he takes the dump trailer and mini loader and grabs all the piles. One or two days a week he's back with the main crew.

Picked up the new grinder today. Rg55's were out of stock with none coming in the foreseeable future, vermeer 382 are out till September
View attachment 1000358
Good machine , buy a full set of teeth and bolts for around $400 and keep them on your truck. Those teeth are awesome and easy to replace. The heat shield on the exhaust will break off after several months probably. I had our tires filled with a special foam so we never get a flat. Those rims are easily bent.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day!

Worked on finishing the mini giant/dump trailer setup today. That’s two stacks of twelve sheets 3/4” plyboard in there. I knew it would work. Been slowly working towards dialing in this setup for a while now. So glad I went with the 16’ trailer now!
B1702849-8E9A-4939-83E1-B6D36D4261C9.jpeg4FFA5D1A-4474-407D-80FD-AF3A6BED9B01.jpeg87436296-EEAC-4339-A22A-EE87A4401E51.jpeg

I knew from day one I was going to saw off this stupid hitch thingy. I might need to get the avant wheel things Helms posted up the other week, but for now it’ll work.

Perfect setup to go with a tracked lift in my opinion.
View attachment 1000402View attachment 1000403View attachment 1000404View attachment 1000405
Looks like you have aftermarket ramps. With my dump trailor, bwise had upgradable aluminum ramps that stowed In under the trailor. I see where the ramps would go. The steel ramps are just so heavy. Great setup BTW. The one regret with my setup is not going to the 16' dumper. I have a 14' dump trailor.

You kinda helped me decide on a 16 footer, so I thank you for that!!

That trailer was the one 16 footer Rochester had in stock at the time when I changed my mind (thanks in part to you).so I jumped on it.

Not super happy with the PJ, but it does it’s job so far anyway. I think I would go back to Cam if I could have a do-over.

The problem was, cam wouldn’t derate even a 14’ to under 10,000 here, so my hands were kinda tied.

View attachment 1000347
View attachment 1000348

I own the new holland 33hp with a uniforest winch. Jake, with whom we regularly subcontract, runs a 37ish hp John deer with Farmi winch. Both have weighted tires and front grapples. My grapple is a little larger for carrying bigger (or more) wood. His closes a little tighter for grabbing brush. Both weigh 4000-5000 pounds.

We don't often deal with small gates in our context. But I will say that a tractor with the right tires is much less invasive on lawns than a tracked mini skid. It's just a bit heavier. Their ability to run up hills is the same and, unlike my mini, they have gears and will move a lot faster. My mini has a 25hp Kubota so the tractors are significantly stronger and can carry much heavier loads. They can also lift material much higher and better load trucks.

I sometimes use the winch to skid logs (it has 3 slides so we can skid 4 logs at a time) but most often I use it for felling opposite leaners and fishing out material in areas that aren't as accessible with a mini loader.... or just getting big tops to the chipper.

The uniforest winch is rated for 7,000 lbs of pull, so if you have a high enough tie in point you can pull huge trees where you want them. You need to know what you're doing, and how to hinge properly, and we sometimes will use both tractors to pull something particularly big and scary (pictured).

If your context doesn't involve a constant need to fit through narrow gates, a tractor with winch and grapple has more advantages- and is cheaper- than a mini loader.

I recently priced out a new LS 33 hp tractor for 23k. Not sure if that came with the loader arms but adding a grapple (1500-4000) and wallenstein winch (4-5k), brings it around to 30k. A new dingo without a grapple is pushing 40k now. But there are a lot of used tractors around too (at least easier to find than a mini). I bought my used new holland for around 10k. Don't forget to have a 3rd function kit installed too so you can use a grapple.

A bigger tractor (40hp plus) will really move some wood and be better at moving full size saw logs if you're into selling logs. They are just harder to transport to the job and are heavier on lawns. I've never sold a piece of wood so I wouldn't know. The 30-40hp range seems to be a good fit for residential tree work. Also my tractor takes up all of my 16' dump trailer.

When I worked in Los Angeles I had never heard of a skidder winch and probably would have thought that using a tractor for tree work would have been unusual. A mini skid would have been amazing there.

All in all, I'd say in the right geographic context, a tractor with a skidder winch and grapple is a highly underutilized tool in residential tree work with incredible benefits.

Being a rural region, have used tractors regularly & still do, mostly for getting pulled out of bogs!! 100hp is a normal size machine here.

My take is tractors, by design, do best at pulling, the front end loader addition works, but isn't their strongest point. The instability & imprecision is what turns me off tractors in our work situations. Every time we have one on a job, it's nearly rolled, so am always wary of them. A forestry winch would certainly be useful though & I do like the faster ground speed.

Have toyed with the idea of buying one for my father, who is technically retired & thinks earthmoving equipment begins & ends with tractors, so he can do firebreaks & slashing etc as an add to the business. However, he is so rough with gear, it would get demolished & invariably be out of action in no time.

Plantation harvesting recently, the owner bought his 85hp John Deere over with FEL. He charged in there after seeing what we had been doing with the 35hp Vermeer & it's rigid mount rotating grapple, & promptly had it on two wheesl, unable to move what the Vermeer could in rough ground. The rigid rotating grapple really unlocks so much potential of the well built compact tracks, like the Vermeer. My grapple bucket sits there barely used these days.

For mine, a larger, dedicated front end loader, around the 13-14 tonnes will be the game changer. Huge lift capacity & ground speed, much more manoeuvrable & stable in rough conditions.

Well outside my budget (this unit well north of $500K new), but a slightly more compact version of this 20 tonne government machine we were working with is a serious workhorse....

fel-1-jpg.1000447

fel-2-jpg.1000448

Attachments

• FEL 1.JPG
    9.9 MB · Views: 78
  • FEL 2.JPG
    FEL 2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
M
View attachment 1000061Fleet pic from the other day. Did that double trunk spruce on the left and a maple behind it with the crane. Climbed and bombed another spruce that big off in the distance. Climbed a Norway maple in the backyard as well.

Chugging along through the season, gotta bump my prices up some. Just feel like I’ve been doing stuff too cheap, getting almost every job I look at. The tree industry is definitely a marathon and it feels good to make it this far, but to continue the progression, I need to bump my prices up.
I feel like prices should go up 20%-25%. Equipment prices are up 25%, fuel is double and any good labor is up 50% from a couple of years ago. All the small bull **** we need to operate is up also you just probably don’t realize. All the bar oil , chains, ropes , filters , oil, brakes and ext… taxes and insurance arw to follow. You’ll probably loose work, pretty competitive where I am. If we don’t get a storm this year I think a lot of companies will shake out. Too many Mexicans running around anyways sort of killing the industry . Pretty sad .

Back