New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bid on a dozen or so removals today for a municipality. I've never sold piece of wood in my life but I wonder if these walnut logs could fetch a couple bucks?View attachment 1009187

That's my 2022 Tacoma rental. I've put 1000+ miles on it in the last 2 weeks. I'll be sad to give it back tomorrow! Really nice little truck to get up and go.

My guys took out about 25 (mostly) red pines and ash today. It's unbelievable what hiring 2 extra guys can do to speed up your production (5 total).

I would bring a buyer in to look at them. We sold a walnut log this summer for $2,750. It was a yard tree that did not have any metal in it. 28 dbh, it made a 10ft veneer log and had a 7ft saw log yet ontop of that. The veneer portion of log he paid $10/bf. Has to be absolutely perfect for veneer though. Not something that happens every day in residential tree service lol.

That's probably the secret. Get a buyer to bid it first.

When you show up at the veneer mill with a truckload of logs, they know they got you by the balls. So they don't offer too much, unless perhaps they actually need more logs. Around here, walnut trees grow like weeds.

That's a pretty cool wood chip market you have in Australia!

We actually have another walnut removal tomorrow and I am attempting to sell the log. 36 inch but seems to have some defects. Tree is very large and bid low at 2500 so I hope to get something for the log. We'll see how it goes!

20220809_150628.jpg

Had another worker join the "jackknife" club today. Apparently forgot he was towing it. At least he didn't bust the radiator. Honestly he is a super valuable employee so I didn't razz him up too bad!
20220811_091719.jpg

My old truck & chipper combination was very predisposed to jackknifing. I fixed that problem by adding about 16" to the chipper tongue. It keeps the truck corners from hitting the radiator and any higher parts of the chipper. The tongue can now sweep under the truck bed until it comes into contact with the rear crash bar, which is very close to perpendicular to the truck. I got VERY tired of my guys poking holes in the radiator with the corner of the truck.

That makes backing in & out of tights spots a whole lot easier, despite being a longer chipper. It does, however, pull the chute out of the bed a bit, too. We get more escaped chips, but if it was a big problem, I could extend the chute, too.

So the pictures don’t really show the lean, but it really was bad and looked like the tips could hit the pool (maybe). So I called cute sounding sis up (7:45 this evening, now) and told her that I really didn’t think it was gonna make it through the night realistically. And I would try my best to drop it with the echo with 20” bar and new chain, but it wasn’t going on my insurance if it went wrong cuz of bro’s cuts.Meanwhile the brother was feverishly digging up his pot plants directly underneath it.

Anyway, all turned out well and I made $500 in 20 mins - and I got some entertainment out of it (could’ve done without the super sweaty handshake on the way in, but something had to me unpleasant about the whole deal. Lol.2E2E132D-A7AA-4748-BA68-0DE6667E100A.jpeg7B955673-2594-4FED-A2C9-B0C05529BD44.jpeg8B3CEDF3-2660-41D2-8982-37D9854E136B.jpeg

Haha is that the bar from his saw stuck in there?

Lol, oh yeah. I was gonna walk till I spied the echo and started looking at the chain and he assured me it was brand knew, as I could see. While he was digging up plants under the tree I fired it up to see what I’d be working with. Not bad, just a loose new chain, but **** it.

So the pictures don’t really show the lean, but it really was bad and looked like the tips could hit the pool (maybe). So I called cute sounding sis up (7:45 this evening, now) and told her that I really didn’t think it was gonna make it through the night realistically. And I would try my best to drop it with the echo with 20” bar and new chain, but it wasn’t going on my insurance if it went wrong cuz of bro’s cuts.Meanwhile the brother was feverishly digging up his pot plants directly underneath it.

Anyway, all turned out well and I made $500 in 20 mins - and I got some entertainment out of it (could’ve done without the super sweaty handshake on the way in, but something had to me unpleasant about the whole deal. Lol.View attachment 1009410View attachment 1009411View attachment 1009412

Hilarious!!

Anyway, all turned out well and I made $500 in 20 mins - and I got some entertainment out of it (could’ve done without the super sweaty handshake on the way in, but something had to me unpleasant about the whole deal. Lol.View attachment 1009410View attachment 1009411View attachment 1009412

In between resuscitating his dope plants, imagine how long it will take old mate to clean up those felled trees.

Jobs like that where a women saves a man from his own stupidity are always entertaining. I try not to laugh when I get a call "Well, my husband has a chainsaw...."

Ha! That's funny. I wish I could get paid for our mulch.

We are lucky if we can find someone to take it for free, otherwise we pay for disposal. There are a few companies that are set up for processing their own mulch into saleable mulch, but that takes a much bigger operation than mine.

You see, in this part of the world, tree grow like weeds, and there are ample supplies of tree companies. Chippers are common, and there are lines of trucks waiting to dump their accumulated mulch. Some of the guys take the time to turn the wood into firewood, and a rare few will even process it into lumber. The market for those products isn't too good, either.

Yep, our eucs & acacia's do pretty well in the weedy habits & there is plenty of tree business's.

Not many work outside the box though. The alpine countries of western Europe provide some more efficient examples of biomass re-use than new world like US & Au.

Have to work at creating these markets to to waste in dollars.

That's a pretty cool wood chip market you have in Australia!

We actually have another walnut removal tomorrow and I am attempting to sell the log. 36 inch but seems to have some defects. Tree is very large and bid low at 2500 so I hope to get something for the log. We'll see how it goes!

View attachment 1009390

Had another worker join the "jackknife" club today. Apparently forgot he was towing it. At least he didn't bust the radiator. Honestly he is a super valuable employee so I didn't razz him up too bad!
View attachment 1009394

Had to really put a bit of time in to develop a steady market, if wanted to go full industrial, there is a much bigger industry than the dedicated tree industry for the taking.

Biomass & wood product are big time in the future.

Extended drawbar is one of the features could never do without on a chipper, especially once you chuck them on bigger trucks.

Yep, our eucs & acacia's do pretty well in the weedy habits & there is plenty of tree business's.

Not many work outside the box though. The alpine countries of western Europe provide some more efficient examples of biomass re-use than new world like US & Au.

Have to work at creating these markets to to waste in dollars.

I don't understand why we aren't just taking all the wood down to a central processing plant that burns all the green waste and turns it into electricity. I don't know what a ton of coal costs, but i'll bet that it's a lot more than the three tons of wood (roughly equivalent heat value) that routinely gets thrown away.

The same is true for trash, by the way. I've read about European trash processing plants that strip out the metals and the glass, and burn all the rest for energy. Then they have a bitumen-like product left over that they can pave the roads with. Or so I've read...

Changing it up with a little commercial project today. Nice early Friday for a change.

We’re supposed to log into this property management place’s app and take pictures when we arrive and when we leave, etc.
FE018D72-94F8-4705-BF30-F319057A1C3E.jpeg
8E730012-40B2-4319-9313-696D8D560E0F.jpeg
816E0BBD-6091-4B24-B028-A97AA5FE0AD2.jpeg57114108-0FE0-4DCE-81EF-0702C45691B4.jpeg

Attachments

• F9C7870E-93F2-4463-AAF8-67EAD9F8BB4E.jpeg
    F9C7870E-93F2-4463-AAF8-67EAD9F8BB4E.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
My guys took downIMG_20220812_163532643_HDR.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg
that big walnut today. Pretty tricky access. Turned out to be a couple nice logs. They dropped off at the mill and we will find out Monday if they will fetch some coin. It will be the first piece of wood I ever sold in 15+ years of doing this.

I'm actually out in California now enjoying some tacos at my in laws. Here's to hoping nothing explodes while I'm gone.

I don't understand why we aren't just taking all the wood down to a central processing plant that burns all the green waste and turns it into electricity. I don't know what a ton of coal costs, but i'll bet that it's a lot more than the three tons of wood (roughly equivalent heat value) that routinely gets thrown away.

The same is true for trash, by the way. I've read about European trash processing plants that strip out the metals and the glass, and burn all the rest for energy. Then they have a bitumen-like product left over that they can pave the roads with. Or so I've read...
As an old broad who heats 95% with wood, even the 1/2 inch and smaller branches become BTUs. And pine needles, too, as they are good for starting a fire in the wood burner. And the bark that I peel off gets the same treatment.

Helmstein do you ever have these three red lights come on and then the controls don't work? This happens once in a while and I don't know why they come on or turn off. I actually repelled out of the lift the other day because I couldn't figure it out
View attachment 1001542
Helmstein it turns out it was two bad diodes that was causing the easy 87 to stop randomly multiple times a day

I get the idea that most, if not all of these lifts come with little glitches of some sort that need to be worked out.

That’s why I’m using my new one solely the rest of the season, while it’s still under warranty.

Back