New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a few smaller jobs today. Someone did an oopsie. It's funny the places stray falling limbs find themselves. View attachment 1020329

Two crews, baby!! Lol. You know you opened yourself up to this. I’m sure it’s still paying off, but I can see why you’d be hesitant to buy something that costs as much as your house.

dropped these 2 small oaks today, and got a new hydraulic return line on my bucket truck, old one separated the jacket from the braids right at the bucket, and sprung a leak raining AW32 everywhere, such is life, rest of the hoses are fine
500i with a 28" bar sure is handy for starting cuts for the 881, saves the arms
these guys got taken down so they could put a porch and pool in, as well as let the light in
oh, and no cleanup

1664332754317.png

1664332764856.png
1664332785671.png
1664332792429.png
1664332841421.png
1664332859598.png
View attachment video-bd35adc5-7edb-4447-b9ca-674cf21306e7-1664324811.mp4

Two crews, baby!! Lol. You know you opened yourself up to this. I’m sure it’s still paying off, but I can see why you’d be hesitant to buy something that costs as much as your house.
yup! This was about a $300 fix. Someone's coming early today to replace it.

Thankfully the income from 2 crews more than makes up for it. I can't believe how much my business credit card runs each month though.

Another certified arborist moved near our corning location. It'll make 4 in the region, 2 of which are part of our company. I really want to hire him but it makes me nervous to bring on another guy before winter. We're only booked until about the first week of November now. After a couple miles of that gravy train ROW job, it was postponed due to budgetary reasons.

But such is business ownership. If it was easy, everybody would do it!! You gotta love the fight!

You going to go for 2 crews in the spring???

I think I’m over the two crews thing. Doesn’t seem like it’d be worth it to me.

New plan is to eventually pay the stuff I have now down and start banking some money for retirement. Just enjoy working. Money really isn’t all that important to me, believe it or not.

just got off the phone with bandit, finally got part numbers for new tach, autofeed wiring harness, and updated pigtail, as well as disk bearings, hopefully here in a few weeks I will have autofeed working, so that will be nice
also going to probably fab up a weld on feed table, to replace my bent folding one, should be like new once im done with everything, will sharpen the knives and probably flip the anvil while im at it
need to drain fuel tank and clean it, so far new hyd filter, fuel filters and water seperator, even after repairs I will have less than 20 grand into this chipper, its already paid for itself anyways

First problem with the 19xpc. Blew a tire that had a bubble on the side wall going 60mph. All I saw was white smoke in the rear view. It was quite the experience. 125psi and a 10k chipper it made a boom. A farmer working in his field a mile or so away hopped in his truck to investigate the noise. He claimed the ground shook echoing like crazy in the vally we were in. Pretty wild.

If you ever had the pleasure to try and change a tire of this caliber and weight you know what I was in for. I had no Idea! What a **** show.

Chipper sat on the side of the road for 30hrs waiting for the tire shop to order the right size tire and mount it. I had it on this evening at around 7pm.

Broke out the 1390xp today. How nice it is to have a back up chipper. The show must go on.

Attachments

• 20220927_180512.jpg
    20220927_180512.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220928_144258.jpg
    20220928_144258.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220928_192238.jpg
    20220928_192238.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
First problem with the 19xpc. Blew a tire that had a bubble on the side wall going 60mph. All I saw was white smoke in the rear view. It was quite the experience. 125psi and a 10k chipper it made a boom. A farmer working in his field a mile or so away hopped in his truck to investigate the noise. He claimed the ground shook echoing like crazy in the vally we were in. Pretty wild.

If you ever had the pleasure to try and change a tire of this caliber and weight you know what I was in for. I had no Idea! What a **** show.

Chipper sat on the side of the road for 30hrs waiting for the tire shop to order the right size tire and mount it. I had it on this evening at around 7pm.

Broke out the 1390xp today. How nice it is to have a back up chipper. The show must go on.
yikes!! Must have been a spendy tire to boot.

Yeah, will probably go back on the hamster wheel for the winter!

What's your winter plan?
Will turn Google ads back on in a few days, they've been off since about March. For the month of October I plan to work 4 days then 2 days of bids, taking deposits for anything booked into December - February to keep them committed and to have some cash flow in case of long periods of heavy snow.

It doesn't hurt to have 10-20% of 3 months worth of income in my pocket going into winter. Anything more that 20% and I feel like I'm working for nothing once the job is actually done

Will turn Google ads back on in a few days, they've been off since about March. For the month of October I plan to work 4 days then 2 days of bids, taking deposits for anything booked into December - February to keep them committed and to have some cash flow in case of long periods of heavy snow.

It doesn't hurt to have 10-20% of 3 months worth of income in my pocket going into winter. Anything more that 20% and I feel like I'm working for nothing once the job is actually done
Not a bad idea with the deposits. It's always irksome when someone commits and then backs out. I can see how a deposit could curtail that.

I keep hearing it's going to be a snowy winter. I'm semi tempted to close shop at Christmas time and sit around and sip coffee all day til March!

I hear you. My 19xpc has been down all week. Last Friday the valve that runs the top feed roller (one of the two that the feed bar runs) jammed up inside. We have been using the 250 since last Saturday (bandit has been dicking my dealer, was supposed to have been sent via next day air Tuesday, now I’m hoping to have it Monday). Thankful to have a backup chipper, but it’s not anywhere near the same. 80% percent of the wood I picked up today would’ve been ground up in 20 mins.

And look, my Log truck boom is leaking too! We’re dropping that off at a Palfinger dealer up in MA tomorrow. Lol. Gotta love it!
81521E83-4DBD-4AD7-968B-FD0CB9186915.jpeg

Oh yeah, and the valve down by your leg that manually runs the telescope function on the Mini G has been frozen up for a couple weeks now too, so been running without that function. Left MTE a message today wondering whatever happened to fixing that. I guess it was to late for the 9:00 to 3:30 guys.

Oh, and I found out why my favorite ground guy that was on parole (and doing great) and living in a sober house hasn’t been in since Saturday. Sounds like the poor guy relapsed and overdosed. Poor Mike is gone. I found out yesterday morning when his mom texted me. (We had talked Wednesday evening trying to figure out where he was).

I still had to print up his pay stub from last week this afternoon. I don’t know who to make the check out to now. I texted his poor mom earlier but haven’t heard back yet.

What a week. I’m officially bummed, but doing okay. Just very saddened.

Back