New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, man. That means a lot to me. I know with as much time in these trades (and life) as you have in, you know what it’s all about.

Mike was just a good natured guy. His issues never really kept people from loving him. His spirit always shined through. We had become genuine friends.

I guess the hardest part about it is that in the month that he was back, and really himself, it reconnected our bond and all the good times we’d had working and laughing together. So many memories and jokes that are basically going to be all lost or tainted with sadness now.

Like I said, I’m fine, just bummed.

Oh, and I found out why my favorite ground guy that was on parole (and doing great) and living in a sober house hasn’t been in since Saturday. Sounds like the poor guy relapsed and overdosed. Poor Mike is gone. I found out yesterday morning when his mom texted me. (We had talked Wednesday evening trying to figure out where he was).

I still had to print up his pay stub from last week this afternoon. I don’t know who to make the check out to now. I texted his poor mom earlier but haven’t heard back yet.

What a week. I’m officially bummed, but doing okay. Just very saddened.
God damnit. I'm so sorry for your loss. Those drugs really can take ahold of you. I feel for his mom! Sounds like you were a real supporter of Mike.

God damnit. I'm so sorry for your loss. Those drugs really can take ahold of you. I feel for his mom! Sounds like you were a real supporter of Mike.

Thanks bud.

Yeah, I guess I was supportive of him. He was a great guy. Leaves behind a beautiful teenage daughter and many other family and good people that loved him. Everybody liked Mike. My girlfriend, my mom, other workers, customers, everyone. I don’t know the Mike in his dark stages, but from what I’ve seen, he wasn’t the type of guy people were disgusted when they saw him coming, Pretty impressive for someone carrying a horrible addiction around like that. That’s about all I’m gonna say about it. Another good man down.

Thanks for listening to me guys - I needed to vent.

Mike from last Saturday. The last job he ever worked… RIP brother. Those demons can’t touch you any longer!!7A0FDF6B-B912-43F2-A610-55A68B25312B.jpeg

Thanks bud.

Yeah, I guess I was supportive of him. He was a great guy. Leaves behind a beautiful teenage daughter and many other family and good people that loved him. Everybody liked Mike. My girlfriend, my mom, other workers, customers, everyone. I don’t know the Mike in his dark stages, but from what I’ve seen, he wasn’t the type of guy people were disgusted when they saw him coming, Pretty impressive for someone carrying a horrible addiction around like that. That’s about all I’m gonna say about it. Another good man down.

Mike from last Saturday. The last job he ever worked… RIP brother. Those demons can’t touch you any longer!!View attachment 1020985
Don't mention it.

What a great picture to be his last on the job. I bet his mom would love to see that picture. RIP Mike.

Hes looking down on the MDS and all his loved ones.

Thanks bud.

Mike from last Saturday. The last job he ever worked… RIP brother. Those demons can’t touch you any longer!!View attachment 1020985

Well that is a very **** outcome.

Bloody drugs.

Oh, and I found out why my favorite ground guy that was on parole (and doing great) and living in a sober house hasn’t been in since Saturday. Sounds like the poor guy relapsed and overdosed. Poor Mike is gone. I found out yesterday morning when his mom texted me. (We had talked Wednesday evening trying to figure out where he was).

I still had to print up his pay stub from last week this afternoon. I don’t know who to make the check out to now. I texted his poor mom earlier but haven’t heard back yet.

What a week. I’m officially bummed, but doing okay. Just very saddened.
Sorry to hear that.

On a brighter note…

Dropped the log truck off at the palfinger dealer up in MA today. Met the owner and his foreman. Seem like really good guys, and they’re going to look into a few other issues with it for me while it’s up there. Got a mini tour and also saw some serious eye candy on the equipment front as well… omg!:surprised3:

F21DAE3C-5CC0-4DBE-AADE-21679F65DC7C.jpeg73BDCCC0-E168-4DA2-B935-A3A69A6E2064.jpeg2402AF88-7BBA-4722-B8BD-88D65957334E.jpegB68C5EEE-2E2C-4E1C-A5E6-A0F8B33B862B.jpeg

Attachments

• 75D3B1A7-470D-449B-B18E-18454859D3FB.jpeg
    75D3B1A7-470D-449B-B18E-18454859D3FB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I think maybe I’m going to look into this KB crane/grapplesaw truck thing more. There’s quite a waiting list and I do have some payments that are getting older. Really would be nice to have a full chessboard of pieces to work with.

The hamster is running hard. Lol.

Let’s face it, after what I’ve been through with employees in the last couple years (culminating with the recent tragedy of Mike), I just don’t think it’s worth it to move forward trying to hire more of these guys.

I have always thought that I would be better off moving to a more machine based company and slimming down on personnel (not that I have many guys now anyway). Running a KB out of the spider seems like the answer to it all for me. I can be crane operator, climber, spider/bucket operator, whatever. So much more efficiency and so many people cut out… it really does seem like the move for me (that’s if I can even pull it off).

Sometimes I just see things, and it’s clear as day. This is one of those times. I’m gonna try and move towards this.

I’m a firm believer in that something good should come out of tragedy. Those of us that are left standing should look at life with new purpose. For me I’m not afraid to go a little deeper, live a little bit more. Cuz we never know when it’s coming for us.

Besides, I finally got operating the log truck down and it’s time to move on. Two year plus waiting period allows me the opportunity to pay off a couple (hopefully few more) things. I have been thinking forward to this move for many years now. Hopefully it’s time. I mean **** it, right!!!

Be careful on decks guys.
20221003_100624.jpg
Today big Dave was pruning a crab apple with a polesaw from this deck. When he leaned on the railing it gave way and he fell 10 or so feet.

A fractured wrist, shattered elbow, and a life flight to the ER later, we are none the better for a skimpy $500 quick trim job. He is my main bucket operator and we will be missing him big time, possibly until the spring.
1664824388332.png

Stay safe.

Be careful on decks guys.
View attachment 1021522
Today big Dave was pruning a crab apple with a polesaw from this deck. When he leaned on the railing it gave way and he fell 10 or so feet.

A fractured wrist, shattered elbow, and a life flight to the ER later, we are none the better for a skimpy $500 quick trim job. He is my main bucket operator and we will be missing him big time, possibly until the spring.
View attachment 1021523

Stay safe.

Damn, buddy!! I’m so sorry!!

I hate to see good hardworking people have things like this happen to them! Thinking of all of you!!

Nice start to the week with an 11 1/2 hour day here (mostly because the giant dealer was working on trying to fix the telescope valve for what felt like five hours, so we couldn’t chip (had the machine right behind the chipper kind of. I would’ve moved it, but had no idea it would take so long. Still not fixed. Sounds like it’s another big hydraulic manifold/gonna have to go to their shop thing. Wtf?

Anyway was a cold, quiet (without the fun Mike), but good day. Crazy hill setup. See if the grcs vid works..
C4ACFC90-D412-4124-B0B7-9A8DDD86EB17.jpeg

FFEB72D3-77E2-40E9-8B21-3FBE06389E80.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8133.MOV

The first year of owning the baby giant. We had a leak out of that manifold. Took 4 times to the previous dealer "Newtown Power Equipment' to finally fix the leak. They put a new hydro manifold under the joystick. Was something like 7 grand to replace. Warranty covered it. Once you get the kinks worked out it should give you thousands of worry less hours.

The first year of owning the baby giant. We had a leak out of that manifold. Took 4 times to the previous dealer "Newtown Power Equipment' to finally fix the leak. They put a new hydro manifold under the joystick. Was something like 7 grand to replace. Warranty covered it. Once you get the kinks worked out it should give you thousands of worry less hours.

Yeah, MTE has been working on it. They have a windshield we’ve gotta schedule putting in my V6004t tele too. Just found it cracked a while back. Insurance claim, but I still have to pay the $1000 deductible. No biggie. They do seem like a solid company. I haven’t been there yet. Road tech stayed there most of yesterday trying to figure it out. I was happy with his effort anyway.

At least we can still use it till they get the part in house and schedule it with me. Just no telescope function.

Got my top feed roller valve in the 19xpc tonight. Seems to be working sweet again. I even painted it up lol.
1B0D4D33-8F17-4C71-A9FA-1463B631B35C.jpeg

Back