New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my chipper back from my fabricator friend. What a beast! I was concerned about weight but I put it on a scale today and it's about 8,000 lbs.

I'm in it about 24k. I'm pretty happy with that. It's going to be nice going from 12" sub 100hp chippers to an 18" 200hp. Will still pull the smaller ones around with my smaller dump truck.

View attachment 1036993View attachment 1036994
Wow you really put some tlc into that Vermeer. Looking good. Now time to pay for it all!

Wow you really put some tlc into that Vermeer. Looking good. Now time to pay for it all!

Yup! I wouldn't have purchased it if I hadn't randomly seen a marketplace ad for it while I was at a conference in Philly. It was an unexpected spur of the moment bargain.

It took away a good chunk of my winter cash cushion though. The thought of stopping for the winter and having the guys collect unemployment sounds kind of nice. Do you do that every year?

I like to run two scabbards. Its fallen off a few times but only when I don't pay attention when a tooth gets cought while taking the saw out of the scabbard.

Zin basically answered the question.

I'm so ready for the season to be over. Parking the equipment December 15th for the winter. Anyone else burned out?

Yeah, I hate it when a tooth gets caught on my inside scabbards just enough to unhook it from the pipe and then drop it on the top of my foot. Seems like the safetree ones wear in and it doesn’t happen as much after a while.

I can’t afford to take the winter off anymore or I would. We usually keep going at least part time until it gets to be too much (think mid January/February). Even then I’ll still go out occasionally just to offset bills somewhat (I just REALLY hate it).

Yup! I wouldn't have purchased it if I hadn't randomly seen a marketplace ad for it while I was at a conference in Philly. It was an unexpected spur of the moment bargain.

It took away a good chunk of my winter cash cushion though. The thought of stopping for the winter and having the guys collect unemployment sounds kind of nice. Do you do that every year?

Yeah, seems like you’ve been going pretty hard this year! I’m sure you could use a break!

I’ve been meaning to ask you, do you do any spraying or feeding, and if not why?

I like to run two scabbards. Its fallen off a few times but only when I don't pay attention when a tooth gets cought while taking the saw out of the scabbard.

I'm so ready for the season to be over. Parking the equipment December 15th for the winter. Anyone else burned out?

I'm so ready for the season to be over. Parking the equipment December 15th for the winter. Anyone else burned

Yeah, seems like you’ve been going pretty hard this year! I’m sure you could use a break!

I’ve been meaning to ask you, do you do any spraying or feeding, and if not why?
I should really get on that applicator license! It could be a nice niche as no one else does it around here. Do you?

Once in a while I do miss the sunny socal weather, Jeffy. But I am really thrilled to be away from all palms, yuccas, and agave!

Yeah, I hate it when a tooth gets caught on my inside scabbards just enough to unhook it from the pipe and then drop it on the top of my foot. Seems like the safetree ones wear in and it doesn’t happen as much after a while.

I can’t afford to take the winter off anymore or I would. We usually keep going at least part time until it gets to be too much (think mid January/February). Even then I’ll still go out occasionally just to offset bills somewhat (I just REALLY hate it).
For us my brother has a one year old and he enjoys the time off. For me I can't justify all my equipment rusting up from running full production in the winter.

It always seems like it's twice the effort with half the reward. Of course I'm available to clear a drivway if a tree is blocking one of my clients. I take out my rust bucket 96 dodge 2500. The only reason I still keep her on the road is the fact it's got a 12valve under the hood. It's probably the worst business decision I've ever made keeping it. We all have that one truck we just love driving.

Attachments

• 20210323_161817.jpg
    20210323_161817.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
This was last Friday's Job. We had this tree on the ground in about 3.5 hours. It took the rest of the day for cleanup, chipping, log hauling, and transporting equipment back to the yard.

For us, we can't afford to not have a lift. Climbing was our business model for ten years but I'm not looking back.

Attachments

• 20221202_102415.jpg
    20221202_102415.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Ya, we do take the winters off. It's great for moral and it gives my brother and me some rest and time with the family. Although no more GF for me. We broke up over the summer. I've been working damn near every day since. I'm a workaholic! I love it!

This was last Friday's Job. We had this tree on the ground in about 3.5 hours. It took the rest of the day for cleanup, chipping, log hauling, and transporting equipment back to the yard.

For us, we can't afford to not have a lift. Climbing was our business model for ten years but I'm not looking back.
When did you get the lift ? How is it? I’m buying one

I want me a lift lol, I think CMC is coming out with a 100ft
side note, I bought a GRCS thinking id use it a ton, only used it on 2 jobs, job 2 was more trouble than its worth to set up, job 1 was used because no crane access
EVERY time I look at a "grcs" job I end up getting a crane for it instead, gonna use my GRCS on this next crane job tho to pull all 3 spars together I think, maybe, maybe not , gonna see once im up there

parked the bucket truck on grass (like always) for a few days due to rain, well some dummy parked on a hill and didnt move the truck before it rained, so ive spent all day getting it un stuck, lots of chips and pulling with the dodge and it finally moved

Took out a bunch of dying spruce and ash today at a housing development. Also got word that I was awarded a 3-4 day tree removal contract for my township. Just need to fill in the week before Christmas and that'll be it for the year. Call volume is way down. I assume similar for you guys?

Busted the brand new belt on the vermeer 1800 today. The guys learned not to feed huge stuff when the rollers are spinning at full juice. My oh my that thing is a beast.

Busted the brand new belt on the vermeer 1800 today. The guys learned not to feed huge stuff when the rollers are spinning at full juice. My oh my that thing is a beast.
I need a new belt on my bandit, currently has 4 V belts on it, should just be one wide belt like yours (I imagine yours has the same style)
I wonder what difference it really makes
also probably going to take the pulleys off mine and sand blast them, and clean em up a little
finally got ahold of bandit on a manual for this thing, hopefully they get back to me with it one of these days, would like to have the manual accessible to anyone running my machine

Got set up for the last trees on the current camp mission. Had to blow the leaves off their motocross trail and dump some chips with mini g to get over some particularly rocky areas with roots sticking up, etc. . Filled in a few major dips in the trail just enough to get us what we needed for access. Rainy now, I think it’s supposed to pour pretty good overnight, so will be good to be set up for tomorrow and just go to work.
E0DA1282-BCCA-4BC4-8C95-1DA56C09A4D8.jpeg13BAD6EC-5902-401F-B7EE-36BCB56276C8.jpeg

When did you get the lift ? How is it? I’m buying one
This past June. It's been a huge asset and a big money maker. We have 3 other local outfits that sub us for ash trees they cant reach or don't want to risk climbing. It has totally changed our work into a sustainable career. The Easy Lift is great. I would say the biggest pita is greesing the boom/ tower.

The EAB ash trees is what justified it for us. They are literally everywhere.

Got set up for the last trees on the current camp mission. Had to blow the leaves off their motocross trail and dump some chips with mini g to get over some particularly rocky areas with roots sticking up, etc. . Filled in a few major dips in the trail just enough to get us what we needed for access. Rainy now, I think it’s supposed to pour pretty good overnight, so will be good to be set up for tomorrow and just go to work.
View attachment 1038399View attachment 1038398
Ya the rain is definitely keeping production down. Leta get some freezing Temps to harden up the ground. Just no white stuff until the end of the year. Lol

Looks like a muddy job. You will have fun on Wednesday morning. Raining now as I write this at 7:25pm Tuesday evening

Back