New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta put some skin in the game at some point if you ever wanna get anywhere imo.
I didn't start making real money until I got myself into some payments and realized I need to pay my bills.

The first 3 years "2014" I had no debt/no equipment but charged 45 per hour for chainsaw labor and 60 per hour for climbing. Can't make any money doing that.

Are you on track with your savings to pay cash for those summer of '24?

Lmao. Yeah, that's a thrill a minute right there, slaving it up by hand while saving up to pay cash for the equipment you currently need.:laugh:

That's gonna be a lot of cash for the spider lift and crane. Unearthing the Mason jars alone should keep Pimples busy for a while come purchase time LOL.

Lmao. Yeah, that's a thrill a minute right there, slaving it up by hand while saving up to pay cash for the equipment you currently need.:laugh:

That's gonna be a lot of cash for the spider lift and crane. Unearthing the Mason jars alone should keep Pimples busy for a while come purchase time

These things never cease to amaze me with their reach and the places they can operate. The height is especially nice when being able to cut and toss the entire 90’ tree is pretty much the only viable solution.

View attachment 1053808
I guess the Omme has to do yoga every once and a while. What a stretch.

Spending the day at the golf course with some friends
View attachment 1054716View attachment 1054717

Nice. Now is that a perfect job for the BM rake once you get a few bigger pieces out? Seems like it would be.

I'm in the process of ordering the rake for my mini G. I figure anything that saves labor (when usable) is a good investment for that kind of money. I actually could've used it this week. Plus it should be pretty easy to find a spot in the dump trailer for it. I like the fact that you don't have to take the grapple off to use it too.

Nice. Now is that a perfect job for the BM rake once you get a few bigger pieces out? Seems like it would be.

I'm in the process of ordering the rake for my mini G. I figure anything that saves labor (when usable) is a good investment for that kind of money. I actually could've used it this week. Plus it should be pretty easy to find a spot in the dump trailer for it. I like the fact that you don't have to take the grapple off to use it too.
It was a huge help! I can't imagine not having one now.

These frigid days are the only ones where we can safely get equipment in and out without destroying the fairways.

I'm looking to mount one of our chippers on a rubber tracked excavator carriage. Will make jobs like that much easier than having to lumber a dump truck around. Looking for a machine without an engine on the cheap.

Going to swap out for fresh plywood soon. These have become beat up and water logged. I'm curious MDS what thickness and how many you use typically? I've been using 5/8"

I think 3/4” “CDX” (non pressure treated) is what most people use. I could be wrong though. Never tried 5/8. Seems like it might be too weak?

You don’t even wanna know how many sheets of plywood I have all together lol. Lately, with the new mini (and running the lift on single sheets mostly), I’ve been getting away with just 24 sheets on hand.

The 5/8 seem to do ok under the mt55 which is pretty light. They don't do so well under the 87-48aj

The 5/8 seem to do ok under the mt55 which is pretty light. They don't do so well under the 87-48aj

I’d like to have at least two mats that are smooth on one side and cleated on the other for breakdancing with the omme. Plywood works sweet when wet, but sometimes not so much when dry. Problem is at some point it’s just too much stuff to drag around with you.

Closing my books for 2022. I keep records on how much I spend on each piece of equipment. It always surprises me how much I spend- and helps me evaluate which things to keep and which to replace.

Most of my equipment is older (newest truck is 2007). Everything is well maintained and kept in good condition.

The f650 dump, Vermeer 1800, and f750 bucket were restoration projects so they cost a bit more. I'm really happy with how they turned out. The only thing that's financed is the f750 bucket, which I still owe about 25k on.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 5.29.25 PM.png

For me the biggest loser is the 2003 f350. It's a crew cab flat bed. I bought it for 8k in 2021 and replaced the tranny and front end in 2022. It seems to always have issues. In fact, as I type it's sitting at my yard unable to start.

Anyway, doing an exercise like this helps me to recognize that I need to charge what jobs are worth- and how valuable and costly equipment is!

I'm also really grateful for a handful of GREAT mechanics. The guy I keep the busiest usually gets to it the day I hand it off.

I think 3/4” “CDX” (non pressure treated) is what most people use. I could be wrong though. Never tried 5/8. Seems like it might be too weak?

You don’t even wanna know how many sheets of plywood I have all together lol. Lately, with the new mini (and running the lift on single sheets mostly), I’ve been getting away with just 24 sheets on hand.
I thought I was smart and bought a bunch of treated 3/4 a few years ago...big mistake. It doesn't last any longer and is heavy as hell. 3/4 CDX is the way to go. 5/8 is too weak. 1/2 is ridiculous.

I’d like to have at least two mats that are smooth on one side and cleated on the other for breakdancing with the omme. Plywood works sweet when wet, but sometimes not so much when dry. Problem is at some point it’s just too much stuff to drag around with you.
That's what we use with our lift. 2 mats "smooth on one side" to turn on and the rest we just drive over the lawn unless its really wet.

Closing my books for 2022. I keep records on how much I spend on each piece of equipment. It always surprises me how much I spend- and helps me evaluate which things to keep and which to replace.

Most of my equipment is older (newest truck is 2007). Everything is well maintained and kept in good condition.

The f650 dump, Vermeer 1800, and f750 bucket were restoration projects so they cost a bit more. I'm really happy with how they turned out. The only thing that's financed is the f750 bucket, which I still owe about 25k on.

View attachment 1055116

For me the biggest loser is the 2003 f350. It's a crew cab flat bed. I bought it for 8k in 2021 and replaced the tranny and front end in 2022. It seems to always have issues. In fact, as I type it's sitting at my yard unable to start.

Anyway, doing an exercise like this helps me to recognize that I need to charge what jobs are worth- and how valuable and costly equipment is!

I'm also really grateful for a handful of GREAT mechanics. The guy I keep the busiest usually gets to it the day I hand it
I'm going to use this idea. Thanks. I love how organized you are.

We use the scoops was more Than the bm rake. The rake really Excells when the ground is frozen or there is snow on the ground.

It's also great for town work when you can sweep it right off the road.

View attachment 1055116

I'm also really grateful for a handful of GREAT mechanics. The guy I keep the busiest usually gets to it the day I hand it off.
Does this include fuel ?

View attachment 1055116

Lol, lot of Ford’s in there…

Back