New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He paid out of pocket, I guess he has a huge deductible.

I'd love to hear what some of you guys might have priced that job at. We were at $4200.00. With final clean up it took us an entire day. I believe I was priced to low.

I hired my buddy to come in with the kobota Digger. First time working with him so we took it slow and safe.
Ol' Stuart was well impressed with the Bandit eating the logs! I did see a saw take off with the bole at the end there....

What size Kubota was that?

Not knowing the market there or the specifics of the site, would probably say somewhere between $3-4000.00, using own crane to lift sections of the building.

He paid out of pocket, I guess he has a huge deductible.

I'd love to hear what some of you guys might have priced that job at.
Too bad. If it was a claim you could just invoice the insurance for your hours.

Tractor 150 hr
2 Groundsman @ 150 hr ea
Chipper 200 hr
Chip truck 150 hr

8 hr job, bill the ins for $6000

The insurance companies I’ve dealt with seem to always require a written estimate. At least that’s been my experience. It is a premium service, of course (wink, wink).

I was pricing it as if old Stuart was paying out of pocket and I wanted the work.

Yes it requires a signed contract showing the rates. If out of pocket there's no way he would sign it and I would feel bad charging the old man too much anyway

I think I'd be lucky to get $2500 - $3000 here. If a crane was needed $4200 would be accurate. Hard to say for sure from a video though.
I totally agree with your assessment. My buddy charged 1,200 for the excavator which took some money away from the bottom line. I wanted to give him some work and it was a fun little job.

A lot of tree companies popping up everywhere.

The insurance companies I’ve dealt with seem to always require a written estimate. At least that’s been my experience. It is a premium service, of course (wink, wink).

I was pricing it as if old Stuart was paying out of pocket and I wanted the work.
I also priced it a bit competitive knowing that he wasn't going through insurance.

My issue with storm damage work is it takes precedent. All scheduled work suffers. It has to be worth it at the end of the day if you are going to put your whole schedule on hold. Not to mention the risk goes way up!

Too bad. If it was a claim you could just invoice the insurance for your hours.

Tractor 150 hr
2 Groundsman @ 150 hr ea
Chipper 200 hr
Chip truck 150 hr

8 hr job, bill the ins for $6000
That's what I would have charged if I had to do it over again. We have more Than enough work, not getting a job like this would be doing us a favor.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this kind of work at a hourly rate. 1/2 day and full day rate. That way there is no room for error.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this kind of work at a hourly rate
Yeah just tell em your emergency hourly rates and if they ask how long will it take, send them that video you made. A lot of the emergency contacts around here have minimums so if your using your friends tractor put an 8hr min on it

That's what I would have charged if I had to do it over again. We have more Than enough work, not getting a job like this would be doing us a favor.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this kind of work at a hourly rate. 1/2 day and full day rate. That way there is no room for error.

I wish I could get 3k a day everyday we rolled out. Five days a week over ten months that's $600,000. I could make do with that.

I wish I could get 3k a day everyday we rolled out. Five days a week over ten months that's $600,000. I could make do with that.
But just imagine all the taxes you get to pay!

Helped a friend from church this afternoon with this uprooted leaner. My uniforest winch pulled it right back. Would have been a muddy mess getting the bucket to it. I think it would have become a permanent fixture in their yard.
20230402_144210.jpg

We had quite the microburst late yesterday afternoon. Trees down everywhere. Spring is hitting quite nicely after a lean winter. Time to build up some income to pay those taxes.

Getting top dollar for your work is one thing, giving it away to your competition is another. Is the fine line of business as I see it.

To true.

Sometimes I think with potential long term clients, have to ease in with a slightly lighter quote, then they see the quality & volume of work they are getting & stick with you after that. Along with spreading good word.

But just imagine all the taxes you get to pay!

Helped a friend from church this afternoon with this uprooted leaner. My uniforest winch pulled it right back. Would have been a muddy mess getting the bucket to it. I think it would have become a permanent fixture in their yard.
View attachment 1071736

We had quite the microburst late yesterday afternoon. Trees down everywhere. Spring is hitting quite nicely after a lean winter. Time to build up some income to pay those taxes.

Also too true about bloody taxes.

More you work, more you pay for all those lazy ****ers that don’t want to work….

(along with a few useful things).

What are the tax rates like in aussieland?

Is it true the goverment pays for workers comp? Is there free universal healthcare?

They are burdensome, unless you are a large enough company to pay expensive bean counters to make you sure avoid tax.

To start with, have to add GST (10%) on everything, which throws up your prices, gives you a major bookkeeping / accounting burden & has to be paid to tax office monthly or quarterly.

Then there is compulsory superannuation for employees, currently 10.5% of their gross wage, rising to 12% in next few years.

Workers comp insurance is paid by the business, premiums depend on you wage turnover. They follow businesses pretty hard on maintaining workers comp cover, which is one thing I agree on & am happy to pay for.

My basic insurances are over $2,600 per month.

If you actually turn over a profit, then there is income tax, sliding scale depending on ‘salary’. When I was an employee on a good wage, I saw 62 cents out of each dollar in a good fortnight, 52 when I got paid bonuses or worked too many hours.

Higher education you also pay for yourself.

Health care, yes, universal in theory, but a above a certain income, you are expected to maintain private health insurance cover.

When the federal government eased some of the GST burdens on small businesses during Covid, things when gangbusters. Now the tax office is calling those debts in & driving business over the edge.

The market has been pretty much destroyed here though. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a "tree guy". lol.
Same here in Fairfield county CT. Old timer told me last year “this business goes up and down like a yo-yo.” Same thing happened after sandy and all the storms. Guys got in …. Guys got out

If I bring the bucket , chipper , chip truck , skid steer and two guys I figure at least $400 hour which still sounds cheap. That’s $3,200 for the day. But I don’t think I’ll get that this year …

Back