New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
** Can I start by asking what exactly is that in those jars to the left? Remains of the guy who broke the concrete slab? A piece of dinosaur?

Usually a catch up day, Saturday.

Had the roof plumber around to look at some of my own repairs, picked up some cash, cut some firewood for home & sale, mowed the lawns, tried not to get cranky at the kids, passive aggressived my neighbours for getting someone else to cut some of my trees that overhung their fence, they did a terrible jobs & likely charged more, still have to go & clean up the poor pruning cuts & blend it in so doesn't look like a bad haircut.

Tried all day to get down for a surf, have a new wetsuit still to get in water with, short daylight hours now, snuck home at 1600 to grab my board, kids caught me, had to take the whole family to the beach & by that time had missed the daylight....

So all in all, the usual unproductive productive Saturday.

My right hand man has picked up a government conservation job a few hours away, much to my dismay. Will be a pay drop for him & likely a slower pace, but in a region he would like to potentially buy land. He's at an age (late 20's) where restlessness is normal & his friends are always chopping & changing jobs, so not unexpected despite us being a mean team. So certainly will be a business adjustment in the short - medium term, but am hoping we'll work together in the future.

Conversely has thrown forward some long terms plans for myself & family. Hoping to move the business, or at least most of the equipment 5000kms across the country & over ocean to set up in Tasmania. Have a good friend over there whom has a tree business running part time in conjunction with his full time job. Aiming to combine forces & achieve some good things. He's done pretty well setting us a business while only hitting it part time, my arrival & equipment has the potential to supercharge things a bit, hopefully.

Can be a xenophobic island population down there, so am hoping can get my foot in the door teaming up with a 'local' & really run with it.

So with all that preamble, going to be a very busy & likely stressful 12 month period coming up.

But if can pull it off, will be well worthwhile to take the family home to this....

(couple of photos from our trip over there this summer)

home-1-jpg.1087479

gerygon-acropolis-jan-23-jpg.1087480

rt-3-jpg.1087483

home-jpg.1087488

rt-4-jpg.1087487

home-jpg.1087489

home-jpg.1087490
Some beautiful shots as always. I like the "sock glove" on your little one. Is that you with the snake chaps?

You're willing to leave your lucrative business on the mainland to try something new? Good luck!!

The jar is full of old banana peels! My wife's idea for watering some of her plants.

Some beautiful shots as always. I like the "sock glove" on your little one. Is that you with the snake chaps?

You're willing to leave your lucrative business on the mainland to try something new? Good luck!!

The jar is full of old banana peels! My wife's idea for watering some of her plants.

Ha ha. Yes, we forgot his gloves & wind chill was significant.

Usually wear the gaiters for scrub & mud in Tassie, the main venomous snake there (Tasmanian tiger snake) is a passive bugger with only small fangs), my partner is pedigree Italian & they are renowned wusses with our wildlife.

It’s certainly a big move & I feel equal parts fear & excitement, which is good.

Environment, climate & a social change is the driver for us. My partner is a academic type, we can hopefully live close to a bustling small city where there is those work opportunities, while be moments from the wilderness & endless outdoors that the island offers. Have lived & worked there previously, loved it.

** Can I start by asking what exactly is that in those jars to the left? Remains of the guy who broke the concrete slab? A piece of dinosaur?

Usually a catch up day, Saturday.

Had the roof plumber around to look at some of my own repairs, picked up some cash, cut some firewood for home & sale, mowed the lawns, tried not to get cranky at the kids, passive aggressived my neighbours for getting someone else to cut some of my trees that overhung their fence, they did a terrible jobs & likely charged more, still have to go & clean up the poor pruning cuts & blend it in so doesn't look like a bad haircut.

Tried all day to get down for a surf, have a new wetsuit still to get in water with, short daylight hours now, snuck home at 1600 to grab my board, kids caught me, had to take the whole family to the beach & by that time had missed the daylight....

So all in all, the usual unproductive productive Saturday.

My right hand man has picked up a government conservation job a few hours away, much to my dismay. Will be a pay drop for him & likely a slower pace, but in a region he would like to potentially buy land. He's at an age (late 20's) where restlessness is normal & his friends are always chopping & changing jobs, so not unexpected despite us being a mean team. So certainly will be a business adjustment in the short - medium term, but am hoping we'll work together in the future.

Conversely has thrown forward some long terms plans for myself & family. Hoping to move the business, or at least most of the equipment 5000kms across the country & over ocean to set up in Tasmania. Have a good friend over there whom has a tree business running part time in conjunction with his full time job. Aiming to combine forces & achieve some good things. He's done pretty well setting us a business while only hitting it part time, my arrival & equipment has the potential to supercharge things a bit, hopefully.

Can be a xenophobic island population down there, so am hoping can get my foot in the door teaming up with a 'local' & really run with it.

So with all that preamble, going to be a very busy & likely stressful 12 month period coming up.

But if can pull it off, will be well worthwhile to take the family home to this....

(couple of photos from our trip over there this summer)

home-1-jpg.1087479

gerygon-acropolis-jan-23-jpg.1087480

rt-3-jpg.1087483

home-jpg.1087488

rt-4-jpg.1087487

Nice pictures. Pretty country. Great picture of the kids bedtime reading. What stove is that?

I was originally planning on rigging this tree of heaven log off of this locust, but on closer inspection that looks like a terrible idea!

20230605_102005.jpg

I believe there is a green button on the control panel that does the same thing, no?
might be harder to get to than the pedal actually
We used the sd64 again today and I did find that button. Still a pain though

I was originally planning on rigging this tree of heaven log off of this locust, but on closer inspection that looks like a terrible idea!

View attachment 1088060

too bad they have those timers on the pedal, theoretically if they didnt shut off after say 5 seconds you could wedge a brick in there and forget it

Lol, you mean with the lavender yoga pants and fuchsia top? :laugh:

That must be him!!
Somehow, I was under the assumption that Rabid k9 is a woman??? On pg 1 of this thread you said something about it being for "good dudes" and Rabidk9 said "rules me out." I must have misinterpreted. Either way, a super classy pro arborist!

Looks like the old mad max log truck is not going to work out. It's going to cost too much to get it road worthy again. Hoping to get back most of my 13k between the price of the truck and hefty towing bill. There are some local guys who would part it out. Quite the unfortunate learning experience. Maybe the whole log running thing was not a great idea anyway with the price of diesel. Perhaps I dodged a bullet!

View attachment 1088060

Looks pretty sketchy! I'd be selling a cabling job. Were you able to get it down ok with a plan b?

Somehow, I was under the assumption that Rabid k9 is a woman??? On pg 1 of this thread you said something about it being for "good dudes" and Rabidk9 said "rules me out." I must have misinterpreted. Either way, a super classy pro arborist!

Looks like the old mad max log truck is not going to work out. It's going to cost too much to get it road worthy again. Hoping to get back most of my 13k between the price of the truck and hefty towing bill. There are some local guys who would part it out. Quite the unfortunate learning experience. Maybe the whole log running thing was not a great idea anyway with the price of diesel. Perhaps I dodged a bullet!

Ha ha!! 'Good dudes' was tongue in check comment about more being a ‘bad dude’….

Been called many things, but never a woman!! Happily a red blooded man. I do like the ladies though.

Been a lot of thinking & pre-stressing about how to move family, life & everything across the country for me. After discussion with my friends over there, confident we can build something good & solid. It's just a mountain of work to get there.

Ha ha!! 'Good dudes' was tongue in check comment about more being a ‘bad dude’….

Been called many things, but never a woman!! Happily a red blooded man. I do like the ladies though.

Been a lot of thinking & pre-stressing about how to move family, life & everything across the country for me. After discussion with my friends over there, confident we can build something good & solid. It's just a mountain of work to get there.
haha I stand corrected. Definitely didn't see any feminine tendencies!
Are you going to sell your current business?

haha I stand corrected. Definitely didn't see any feminine tendencies!
Are you going to sell your current business?

Still not sure of the best approach.

Have some potential pretty good opportunities over on the island state & the inbred bastards don't like to really work that hard, so teaming up & putting in the extra effort do normally could be quite lucrative. A big part of that is arriving with the current equipment, plus I really like my gear & am not ready to part with it, nor duplicate it at present.

Ideally, would like to keep the existing business running to help pay for the move, but the hard variable in all that is keeping the right people you trust, so can't see this option working.

It seems goodwill / client bases are worth less these days & it would cost me more to buy my gear back, than what I would get for it as a business package, so my current train of thought is to move with the most important equipment, leave some items behind to allow the wood stockpiles to be sold off, potentially get something for the client base or develop some arrangement with other local businesses.

There is a lot to play out & going to seek a lot more professional advice to look at the possible scenario's.

To be honest, will be really sad to say goodbye to a lot of clients who have become friends over the years & the standards that have been set. One thing I noted when working & travelling in Tasmania last summer was the different standards & attitude towards trees & treework, particularly in relation to tree care side.

Latest posts

Back