new to me 036 adventure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebay is a great place (sometimes) for parts but it sucks for things like bikes and boats, etc. have you seen what older stihl saws are listed for on ebay? facebook marketplace is the best place for used stuff now. it's killing craigslist off. having said that, yes dirtbike prices are sky high now like everything else. this is actually my daily rider.
PXL_20210826_191322706.jpg

back to OEM top end kits. what does everyone think of the OEM Kolbenschmidt top end kit vs the Mahle top end kit for the 036? nothing out there for Mahle that I can find except for one very expensive kit from Australia. Kolbenschmidt kit (NOS cylinder, piston, rings and wrist pin) are available but about 265.00 shipped.

nice. mine came with a shot chain and beat 16" bar. I was going to do a 25" but was unsure if the 036 would handle it so I bought a barely used 20" stock rollamatic take off bar and chain. it was dull but did not look like it had even been re-sharpened. works pretty good.

what's the story with the pop up top ends? is it for more compression? I don't think they came stock with that did they?

nice. mine came with a shot chain and beat 16" bar. I was going to do a 25" but was unsure if the 036 would handle it so I bought a barely used 20" stock rollamatic take off bar and chain. it was dull but did not look like it had even been re-sharpened. works pretty good.

what's the story with the pop up top ends? is it for more compression? I don't think they came stock with that did they?

They come stock on some saws like the 028 Super, but not the 034.
It is for an extra bump in compression, just like old 2 stroke kits came with a small chamber head these pistons have a little dome. You can make your own pop up piston obviously by cutting the base down and machining the piston.

this is my 1st saw with 3/8 chain. ordered a new Pferd file in 13/64. it came in thursday and made a big difference. been de branching and cutting up logs last couple days. when the chain is sharp this saw works great. this morning I hit a piece of steel wire that was imbedded and got to sharpen again. I like this better than the husqvarna system.
PXL_20220617_175532989.jpg

so, when I ordered my chainsaw parts a while back, I felt compelled to order a pair of felling spikes. I've learned a couple of things. don't really need long spikes (the ones I got aren't super long) for oak. I suspect the long ones are for trees with really thick bark like old doug fir.

also learned that all felling spikes are not equal. when I ordered these there were pictures, but no brand names listed. the inside one came in a bag that said Holzfforma. the outside one is a different brand and seems ok so far. I did get a refund. I just put the stock OEM one back on the inside. seems fine for oak.
PXL_20220617_190054125.jpg

so, when I ordered my chainsaw parts a while back, I felt compelled to order a pair of felling spikes. I've learned a couple of things. don't really need long spikes (the ones I got aren't super long) for oak. I suspect the long ones are for trees with really thick bark like old doug fir.

also learned that all felling spikes are not equal. when I ordered these there were pictures, but no brand names listed. the inside one came in a bag that said Holzfforma. the outside one is a different brand and seems ok so far. I did get a refund. I just put the stock OEM one back on the inside. seems fine for oak.
View attachment 996760
The small OEM spikes are all you'll need on a 036

The small OEM spikes are all you'll need on a 036

But, it could be those spikes are for the yet to be announced new event at the next round of Stihl Timbersports?
You have seen knife throwing, axe throwing? Leave the bar and chain off the saw and hurl your 036 with zombie fighting spikes at the butt end of log- closest to centre wins!

I noticed that when I tried to start the saw last night and again this morning to no avail that the spark plug was very wet. so, when I emptied the fuel tank, I removed the spark plug and gave the starter about 20 pulls to clean out any fuel that might be in the crankcase. then I put the spark plug back in and with an empty fuel tank I put it on choke and the saw fired right up and ran good for a few seconds.
My guess would be a leaking inlet needle (below the metering diaphragm/lever) in the carb. Happens a lot, and the pressure building up in the tank (especially in warmer weather) will cause the engine to flood when it is not running...
Great place you have! My saw of choice is a 034 AVS (same saw w/o decomp).

sorry if I'm driving you all crazy but..I'm going thru a tank of fuel about every 35 to 40 minutes cutting these trees up. for every tank of fuel, I'm using about 3/4 tank of bar oil. chain and bar are getting oil but not a huge amount and the chain and bar get pretty hot. oil flow screw is turned all the way open. seems that different bar oils may flow differently. was using "Extreme" brand from rural king but it was in quarts which was expensive. bought a gallon of walmart's Black Max at 10 bucks a gallon, very sticky but does not seem to flow as well to the bar. thinking about a gallon of Echo at 13.00.

what bar oil do you all use?

Latest posts

Back