New (to me anyway) Montgomery Ward splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon65

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought a Montgomery Ward splitter from a neighbor that is moving this past weekend for $100.
I changed the engine oil and put in a new spark plug and it seems to be running great, then I adjusted the linkage on the lever so that the autoreturn worked, initially you could set the lever in the detent but the valve was not opening enough to move the cylinder.

Before I picked it up another neighbor made off with the gallon bottle of hydraulic fluid, but before doing so he filled tank up to the vent hole, meaning if I tip the splitter at all with the valve open it spills out. Other than being a mess I assume the extra fluid is not hurting anything? I am tempted to add a 45 degree elbow and a vent/dipstick style cap if the extra fluid level is not an issue. Is it worth the effort to add a oil filter on the return line for this splitter? It apparently has a strainer on the return line that goes inside the tank.

Only other issue I have is the skinned hose, the short one between the valve and bottom of the cylinder. It sounds like the easiest way to deal with those is just have someone like an auto parts store make one? or does someone sell them pre made to fit?

I was able to download the engine and splitter manuals online. Any other tips or modifications I should consider?

Thanks,

Jon

LS1-2.jpgLS2-2.JPG

Attachments

• Photo Mar 23, 9 36 04 AM.jpg
    Photo Mar 23, 9 36 04 AM.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 12
Hi All,

I just bought a Montgomery Ward splitter from a neighbor that is moving this past weekend for $100.
I changed the engine oil and put in a new spark plug and it seems to be running great, then I adjusted the linkage on the lever so that the autoreturn worked, initially you could set the lever in the detent but the valve was not opening enough to move the cylinder.

Before I picked it up another neighbor made off with the gallon bottle of hydraulic fluid, but before doing so he filled tank up to the vent hole, meaning if I tip the splitter at all with the valve open it spills out. Other than being a mess I assume the extra fluid is not hurting anything? I am tempted to add a 45 degree elbow and a vent/dipstick style cap if the extra fluid level is not an issue. Is it worth the effort to add a oil filter on the return line for this splitter? It apparently has a strainer on the return line that goes inside the tank.

Only other issue I have is the skinned hose, the short one between the valve and bottom of the cylinder. It sounds like the easiest way to deal with those is just have someone like an auto parts store make one? or does someone sell them pre made to fit?

I was able to download the engine and splitter manuals online. Any other tips or modifications I should consider?

Thanks,

Jon

View attachment 896708View attachment 896710
AG supply has some premade hoses . probably the cheapest, if you can match what you got

At only $100 you can,t go wrong . Quality syn oil for the ambient temps you receive is best . The internal strainer is to pick up any ferris metal particulate and should be checked seasonally . A Quality inline Wix filter of proper flow rate would give you some more oil , that helps with overall performance and cooling . The hoses are available stock items , a little longer again helps with cooling and shock absorption your outer sheathing is breaking down however your braid seems sound . Ensure your oil is clean & clear & reservoir level maintained to prevent cavitation to protect the pump .Keep an eye on your piston rod seals for weeping , some have a preload adjustment of the packing . Pressure guages can help diagnois system performance within the system . Have fun , nice find bud !

I had the exact same splitter a decade ago, briggs engine blew soon after buying it but replaced it with a harbor freight predator, repacked the cylinder following year and easily split 10 or so cord before selling it off for what I had invested in it. I kinda miss it but my back doesn't, just too low! Nice little machine to move around though and split everything I put on it.

Back