New To Me MS 261C-M - Muffler gaskets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacrider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently found an MS 261C-M for sale and couldn't say no. Based on the serial#, it appears it was built in 2016 and has the newer style of clutch cover.

It was really dirty and needed a great cleaning and basic maintenance. I have replaced the plug, fuel filter, chain sprocket, chain catcher, bar, chain, etc. Cleaned out the clutch and greased the needle bearings. Blew out the air filter. I removed the muffler to clean the spark arrester and have a look at the front of the piston - and it looks nice and clean. After lots of cleaning, it's starting to look pretty good. I drained the gas tank and refilled it and it started up perfectly. I did a M-Tronic reset just to be certain. Quick test cut and it rev'd up nicely. Before I go out to do any serious cutting, it needs a quick hand sharpen and I'm good to go.

Only real question is should there be a metal gasket between the muffler and cylinder? The plugs in the front of the muffler that you have to remove to get to the two torx bolts looked like they hadn't been removed before. From the IPL, it looks like there is a part# 1141 149 0600, but it wasn't on this saw. Did this version not have a gasket? This muffler has the screen that slides in from the right side and fastened with one torx bolt.

If someone can confirm if required, that would be great. Many thanks.

Ok thanks, I do in fact have parts 20 and 21, but the part identified as #19 is for what seems like a specialized set of models. I have a basic 261 C-M. I have a couple of other wearable parts on order, so I will add this gasket and see if it is supposed to be there. Thanks for your response.

Ok thanks, I do in fact have parts 20 and 21, but the part identified as #19 is for what seems like a specialized set of models. I have a basic 261 C-M. I have a couple of other wearable parts on order, so I will add this gasket and see if it is supposed to be there. Thanks for your response.
Seems OK to me. I have a feeling it would not hurt one bit to install that gasket. It is seldom that I ever run into a saw engine that does not have one unless the owner lost it or failed to install it because it takes a little extra effort.

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered it and will install it next week.

Cold day in the forest here today. -20 degrees C. To stay warm, you have to work hard.

Latest posts

Back