New to me (MS251c and MS180c): seeking the good to know

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem I see over and over with these saws is the owner lets the clutch drum bearing disintegrate and it ruins the saw.. Over, and over, and over. Try checking it once in a blue moon .

Also, if you let them sit the carburetor gets a bugger in it and needs to be replaced. Try cranking it for a few minutes once in a blue moon.

Typically if you are a professional you didn't buy it to start with. It will last a homeowner forever if he isn't an idiot.

I picked up the 180 (free) doing some carpentry repairs at a friend's house, and I just picked up the 251 yesterday for $75. The 251 has a bar, but no chain or clutch cover. The 180 doesn't run, yet, but the 251 starts right up and sounds great. I think the 180 has just been sitting hardly used for so long it needs an internal cleaning and fuel filter. The air filter has hardly seen any use
Anyway, I plan to keep and use these saws as (independent) minor tree/shrub service equipment. I've done some researching, but haven't seen any long term assessments much less real world performance review. Are these good saws to invest in over time? Ease of use and maintanence scale 1-10? Is that 251 strong enough for (personal) seasonal firewood cutting (up to 20" trees or so)? Any quirks or handicaps I should know about with either of these? Recommendations for improvement/s if any?
I've had a couple of DCS520i's for the past near three decades and it's all I've used for anything and everything. The current saw still runs great and has plenty of power, but it gets finicky on the air filter cleanliness and it's harder to find parts at reasonable prices. Oh, and really it's kinda heavy for multi hour use. IOW's, I'm hoping I now have two saws that will match the demands and also alleviate the minor quirks I've had/got with the Makita.
What do y'all think?
Thanks so much!!

Back