New to me Stihl wood boss 024 AV not turning off.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsreliance

Reaction score
I just got this saw and it fires right up but won't shut off. I check the black ground wire and it looks attached on both ends. the other wire looks pretty good too.
I have to choke it out to kill it currently so not using it (plus waiting on the new air filter). Is there some good photos or a good diagram that is easier than the manual?
I'll try and get some better photos. Maybe it was not put together correctly? I'm missing a part? thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_6264.JPG
    IMG_6264.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6265.JPG
    IMG_6265.JPG
    902.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6266.JPG
    IMG_6266.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6430.jpg
    IMG_6430.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6431.PNG
    IMG_6431.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Looks correct. Use an ohm meter to test the continuity of the wires and metal spring. It could be the wire is broken inside the bullet crimp since it moves up and down and it's old. Follow the green wire and make certain it's screwed into magnesium. Pull lightly on the ends of the wires to make certain they don't pull out of the crimps.

took it all part and checked it with a continuity checker. For some reason the previous owner pinched the black wire on the edge of the carb. Replaced black Wire and now works fine. thanks for all the help! hope my air filter gets here soon

Got to like those easy fixes....

Where did all the flocking go from the air cleaner? Are those holes open to the intake? If so I wonder what the intake side of the piston looks like.
my guess is that is sat for some time and then when it was "cleaned" by the previous owner it got vacuumed off. I couldn't see any sign of it. Glad I was able to order a new filter (kinda hard to find).

Yes, the OEM filters and the rubber components for that series is expensive and hard to find. I see they have after market rubber isolators now. Keep an eye on the intake boot as old as it is.

OOooooopppsss.
That is not the saw of the original poster!!!
Yes, sorry, the amazing part on those pictures, the piston and cylinder were in excellent condition. Every rubber part on the saw was bad. His Dad bought the saw for him new so he wanted it fixed. It was $200 by the time I got all the OEM parts and pieces shipped and then some labor. Those are not the most enjoyable saws work on especially that boot.

Yes, sorry, the amazing part on those pictures, the piston and cylinder were in excellent condition. Every rubber part on the saw was bad. His Dad bought the saw for him new so he wanted it fixed. It was $200 by the time I got all the OEM parts and pieces shipped and then some labor. Those are not the most enjoyable saws work on especially that boot.
Yeah, whenever I find a ripped boot, there is usually some bad av mounts.

Back