New to this, Please Critique my Gear,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
r0ck2r0ck2 - How well are you liking the Petzl Avao saddle? I've been looking at that saddle, and Bailey's has a good price on them today, but this is the only thread I found on AS which mentions the Avao. Do you have any major dislikes with it? Thanks in advance!

Git yourself a nice extendable pole saw 4 -5 meter/yards so very handy can sort many a lower limbs or that tip top twig or save a you limb walk climb and can rescue that hooked throw bag just outta reach

ta the black sabbath clip heres some more Ozzy going off,,,, oh ops some cuzzin at the vids end

Set aside some money for a hands on class. I'm in Canada so I've gone to arbor canada courses. Find something close to you. A two or three day class can be paid for in a good days work. Last class I went to paid for itself in no time. With experience comes confidence.

thanks for the replies.
i'll try to be brief.

the longest day i spent in the avao was my 1st removal and was about 5 hours of harness time.

i think there are better saddles than the avao and if i had it to do over i probably would've popped for something a bit more pricey.

the avao is good with spurs and a flipline but for the spread out deciduous trees i've been in i think a progressive bridge would be a bit better.
i was getting my hips crushed by the lanyard carabiners so i switched to dyneema loops and that seemed to solve the issue.

i like the many attachment points. i like the weight. it holds my chainsaw well.
i would like to climb in a treemotion for a day to see how much of a difference $250 would make.

as for the later replies.
a pole saw is definitely on my list of gear when the spring comes again to the northern tundra.
i'm looking at the wood poles as they are light as s#|+

i've been working with 3 different crews and have been trying to practice as much as weather will allow.
i'm learning a lot and am trying my best to keep my place and not get hubristic.
it's hard as i really love being in the trees and spend soo much time studying that i'm dying to test out my knowledge.
my girlfriend seems genuinely interested in all of it.. i showed her 5 friction hitches last week.
i tried my best to explain rigging forces, to explain tree biology as i understand it.

a very patient woman.

the climbers i have been working with appreciate my hustle and have been taking me to school when they can.

i'm still hoping to get a class in when i can afford the time and money.

thanks again.

Back