New to tree planting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djhansen04

Reaction score
I recently bought a home with a few acres with it and i planted white pines down one of my property lines. Im not sure if i chose the right time to do it but they were cheap 1-2 ft tall. Early in the summer i also planted some apple and pear trees. Im wondering if i should do anything for them for winter. The fruit trees came from a pot and the pines came from the ground and directly planted back into the ground. They are all in the open as it was a hay feild.

Transplants that did well through the summer should be fine through winter. But critters may take a toll. Deer, rabbits, mice--these may be the real threat. Check with a local nursery or with your county extension agent for recommendations. Chickenwire or 2" x 4" welded wire fence will keep the deer off, but spiral wrapper (or something similar) may be necessary to keep rabbits or mice from chewing the bark and girdling the fruit trees especially.

Back