New wood stove vs Buck Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caterpillardoc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m planning on getting a wood stove this year and wondering how new stoves differ from the old Buck type stoves. I had a Buck stove years ago and what I remember is they heat very well, could be loaded up to burn 8-10 hours and generally the room they are in will be hot. How are they different from the new EPA spec stoves?

With the new stoves if you have really good dry wood you'll get more out of it then the older style stoves. That being said I wouldn't trade my old one for a brand new one as I like to be able to burn anything and i mean anything.

Great input here. However, in addition to dry wood you must remember that as the EPA standards are lowered, manufacturers make stoves cleaner burning, they are also increasing efficiency. The one downside to maximizing the efficiency is the chimney must be optimized! Less heat loss up the stack can result in more sensitive draft scenarios.

Here is what I would recommend:

1) Make certain you have AT LEAST the minimum stack height required in the Owners Manual
2) Use black double wall stove pipe from the stove to ceiling support box or wall thimble
3) Locate the stove to minimize the number of offsets (elbows) as it impinges flow
4) For wall exits or masonry installs, use to 45's back to back to minimize impingement or flow
5) For masonry installations, use ONLY insulated chimney liners, which will help satisfy requirements for clearances specified in NFPA 2.11

BKVP

Latest posts

Back