Newbie and looking to buy a 50-60cc saw (no brand loyalty, just looking for the best banger for the buck).

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had pretty good luck with an Echo 590 and 20" bar. FAR better luck than with a 660 clone fitted with a BB kit and 28" bar!

Looks like you made up your mind, maybe before the post.

Both Echo models you mentioned I'd buy before the lower-end Husqvarna. The "clamshell" designed saws don't make my list of desired saws.

If you need a bigger saw, get one, but 60 cc will fine for a majority of jobs.

Keep bar length near the center or even toward the shorter end of the spectrum for more saw power, longer bar if bucking wood near the ground to save your back.
Nah, just made up my mind that I wanted to buy a quality saw that could fell an occasional big boy (25+", yes thats big for my area haha) and it looks like from what Ive been reading/watching, the CS-590/620 seems to be a beast for the buck.
I spoke to my local shop (Lawn and Coates) about it and he said that they could sell me one but that they mainly stock and sell Stihl since we've got a huge Stihl facility here in Virginia Beach.
He said a comparable Stihl model was the MS362 but that it was necessarily a pro saw.
They could sell me the CS-620P for $599, but he said go ahead and get it from HD since I can pick it up for cheaper. They have no issue servicing them or helping me out if anything comes up.
The owner used to work for HD before working here too.
All this to say, He talked me into the CS-620P, the PW full wrap may buy you a little more protection (e.g. stuff banging into the clutch cover), but its really only beneficial to lefties (which I am not), and gets in the way of guys looking to cut as low as they can on a tree.

Yeah, i was talked out of getting the full wrap.
If I was a lefty I would get it but I went with the CS-620P.

Good choice. I have the full wrap on my 500i - wasn't a choice, just the first 500i I came across was a full wrap. I'm not a faller, I'm a firewood guy, and so far it's just gotten in the way. I cut down a scrench to fit under the handle.

Planning on getting some property with forest, so keeping the full wrap, but I definitely wouldn't be seeking out a full wrap if it didn't come with one.

This is some good insight to full wrap handles. I have actually been looking to put one on my 620. There have been a few trees that I wish I had it. However, I’m not a faller by any means so it sounds like I’ll just leave well enough alone.

While I got you guys...
1) Do you guys just search around for ethanol free gas?
2) When you put your saws in layup do you guys drain the gas reservoir then run the saw until its empty? Any other layup actions? I'm hoping the user manual sheds some light but figured I'd ask.
3) Does anyone know of a case that fits the CS-620P? the Echo site says the cases say the cases they make dont fit this model (lame).
4) Any other pointers you guys have, please share, I'll take em'!

While I got you guys...
1) Do you guys just search around for ethanol free gas?
2) When you put your saws in layup do you guys drain the gas reservoir then run the saw until its empty? Any other layup actions? I'm hoping the user manual sheds some light but figured I'd ask.
3) Does anyone know of a case that fits the CS-620P? the Echo site says the cases say the cases they make dont fit this model (lame).
4) Any other pointers you guys have, please share, I'll take em'!
Some guys on here recommend premixed fuel by Stihl or Husqvarna (or other brands) because they’re ethanol free and 93 octane, but they’re expensive. Other people on here are dead-set against using those fuels. It’s up to you and your budget. I use both of those brands of mixed fuel with no issues at all.
For layup maintenance, some suggest filling your tank all the way, some suggest emptying it and running the engine until it dies. My Stihl manuals recommend emptying it out and running it. It also suggests to clean the saw well and sharpen the chain.
As far as a case goes, I bought a drip tray from Tractor Supply Co and put a scabbard on the bar of my main saw. It prevents drips from making a mess, if that’s what you’re worried about. If you’re wanting to protect the saw, there are large universal cases available on Amazon and eBay. I’ve seen the Husqvarna cases at TSC and Lowe’s as well.
I’m not a logger or a pro in any respects. I’m sure others will chime in with a lot more experience and knowledge than me. I’m just speaking to my personal experiences. I hope it helps.

I use pre-mix at 50-1, -my saws have pre-mix full and ready to go, to save money, take off bar and chain and store saws in any plastic box that has a lid as mud wasps can make a mess in your saws. Read your manuals over a few times and stick to mfg start and stop instructions.

There's an app called Pure Gas that will tell you where to get ethanol free gas.
Used the app.
Man, theres 3 stations within 35mins of me.
Went to the closest one today to find it only had racing fuel ethanol free, 110 octane and $11.50/gallon hahaha.

Read Echo's manual and they state I can use up to 10% ethanol, use at least 87% octane.
Drove around for gas as each station only had a sticker on the pump that stated "Contains Ethanol", others had the percentage portion cut out, and when asked, couldn't tell me how much ethanol was in their fuel...

The closest Gas station has 10% ethanol marked, and I picked up some 93 Octane.
I may get premix for the first few tanks, and for flushing/running dry when putting in layup.
Dad runs stihl, and said he just mixes 87 octane 50:1 oil ratio, no problem.

Have the CS590 with the 18" bar. Powerful and light saw.
Only complaint is the oddball 72LPX64CQ chain and bar that can be a bit of a bear to find.
Reminds me that I need to get to it as not much meat left on my current bar with all of the hours I have on it.

For fuel I initially ran mixed because Echo had a deal where they extended the warranty by a few years if you bought Echo oil at the time of saw purchase. Now because the saw often sits for a few months in the winters (as do some of my other 2 stroke equipment) I'm almost exclusively using Trufuel. No seasonal storage maintenance required and ready to rip whenever I need.

Thanks for the heads up guys, yall are the MVPs in my book.
Gonna buy the CS-620PW with a 24" Echo bar, looks like the bar is a two piece?
Interesting.

Any issue with purchasing from Home Depot vice a shop?
I get a 10% discount at HD that Im not sure I'll get elsewhere.

Is there anything else other than PPE (hat, goggles, gloves, boots) that you guys would recommend?
Im sure a stand alone repair/tool kit would be a must have. Maybe a spare chain or two?

I know theres plenty of mods to the exhaust port and what not that I've heard mentioned around here.

Im going to scour youtube and these forums for break-in on these 2 strokes.
I've got basic/little experience with 2 strokes and I'm sure I'll overanalyze this thing to death.
If you have any pointers and know what the tell tale signs of poor tuning (lean/rich gas air ratio), compression, timing, etc., I'm all ears and appreciate your time!

Thanks again guys!

-Pete
My Ace Hardware is an Echo and Stihl dealer. Full service for both brands. No one at HD knows which end of the saw cuts, much less knows how to fix one. I'd try my local Ace first. Where in VA are you, I'm in Frederick MD.

My Ace Hardware is an Echo and Stihl dealer. Full service for both brands. No one at HD knows which end of the saw cuts, much less knows how to fix one. I'd try my local Ace first. Where in VA are you, I'm in Frederick MD.
Virginia Beach.
Talked to local saw dealers/services and they said I'm best just going with buying from HD and just bring it to them should anything go wrong.

Like the saw alot, wish I would had went with the 24" bar/chain though!
and if the PW version fit in their case I would have bought that one too.

I could be happy with a little saw and long bar if the wood its worked in stays about half its cutting length.

Heck a 32" on 60cc might be a badass little limbing stand up and buck small wood kinda saw.

Only complaint is the oddball 72LPX64CQ chain and bar that can be a bit of a bear to find.
Reminds me that I need to get to it as not much meat left on my current bar with all of the hours I have on it.

For fuel I initially ran mixed because Echo had a deal where they extended the warranty by a few years if you bought Echo oil at the time of saw purchase. Now because the saw often sits for a few months in the winters (as do some of my other 2 stroke equipment) I'm almost exclusively using Trufuel. No seasonal storage maintenance required and ready to rip whenever I need.
So Tsumura makes bars where you can run the regular count of links per size like husky and stihl. If you don’t yet have a bunch of chains for the echo, and or have other saws it might be something to look at. Their lightweight bars are harder to get. I stumbled upon it by accident. It helps because this company has bars organized by saw manufacturer. https://arbsession.com/tsumura-fv4-3-8-pitch-050-gauge-guide-bar-echo.html

As far as gas goes I've had no problem with ethanol gas. I treat mine with Star Tron . That was recomended to me years ago from my Jonsered dealer when I bought a new saw and back pack blower from them. Never had a problem. But I also pretty much buy the amount Of gas I'm going to use and when it's a month old I dump it in the Toyota. I have a variety of saws and have never had a gas problem. I generally run my saws dry with in a month. Also another tool I keep in my saw bucket it one of those cheap parts cleaner brushes. I clean my saw with it prior to removing gas or oil cap. When I pull the top cover I give it a good brushing if I'm in the woods. The compressor and blow gun is a necessity also.

My thoughts also. I had an old Dolkita (Dolmar PS-420) that I was not that impressed with, plus with Domar gone and Makita giving up, I would not count on parts availability.
I have to disagree with you on the this. I have a Makita 4200 and that saw is what I grab most times as my mid saw. I leave my 346 and 2152 at home in favor of that saw. I know once it's done its done but I'll run till then. My 6100 is another story. I was never happy with the stingy oiler on that saw and bought a 590 as soon as they were out to replace it.

Stihl also extends the warranty by an additional year when purchased new with their premix or ultra oil. I too use Trufuel when putting
up my equipment for a extended period of time. I also use Trufuel 4 cycle ( gray can ) for my lawn tractor at end of season. Never a problem and always starts with zero issues!

Latest posts

Back