Newbie and looking to buy a 50-60cc saw (no brand loyalty, just looking for the best banger for the buck).

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So do you guys recommend the 4910 over the 620?
I know its a subjective question but I was more thinking of getting the bigger saw so as to not find myself wanting more (in a situation I may not encounter, but...).
If the 4910 isnt too far behind the 620 and its weight loss is worth it?
IDK , I'm torn haha.
I just have a 620 that’s running (and Milwaukee battery saw for small stuff, have an 011av that frustrates me to no end, till I fix it) and it’s awesome. It came with a 28” bar. Its easier with less reaching, though I ran 20 & 24” on my 272xp that’s not currently running.You can also cut anything smaller with it, and there may be a time for the smaller saw too, it’s just about money. You just need to consider your situation. One new saw might be enough to learn for a bit. Each of us is different so you may want to have a lighter saw for limbing and then move to big saw. I personally like to get done and have fun cutting so I prefer the bigger saw.

Safety gear, I like the yellow oregon chainsaw helmet with mesh visor. Sometimes the visor is good. Sometimes if windy or darker I use safety glasses only or others I have the visor down and glasses on. After years without I bought the Husqvarna full calf wrap chainsaw chaps with 2 pockets on left side. More money, got decent deal on eBay. I bought for: pockets, put tools and wedge in top pocket.
Safety: heard multiple stories and one from a friend of chain coming off and getting them on back side of calf.
3 clips on calf keeps chap snug.

These could be pretty warm in summer vs others. I got long enough to cover my boots. Boots cleaner and less chips in boots. I think old loggers might say shorter pants and chaps so you don’t trip on hems etc? Not sure.

Be careful, when you hurry, don’t take water or snack breaks, that last push for the day, that’s when you can get hurt. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s not. Stop and reevaluate. Probably don’t need to say all that cause you have been cutting for awhile. Not try to preach. I find myself pushing the envelope at times and not drinking enough in the winter.

Some people will say no break in, and argue till the cows come home, and others will tell you a 1-3 tank break in process. And all will say they work…I took the Long way and did this. This shows breakin process that I used

Fyi I am a carpenter and painter. I have split a lot of wood by hand. I have only been running a chainsaw 5-6 years so I don’t know much by any means.
This is just me and I have a lot to learn. I am open to correction and hope something I said helped.

Gabe

Big maple tree service friend dropped off in many loads. Bucked with the 620 and full chisel exl and lpx oregon chain. Rakers at .025. 98% of cutting with the 620. Good amount that isn’t shown in pics. The boys helped me move and stack by hand. This is not for this year. I really wanted to use the 272 on this but needed to make progress before heavy snow rather than fix the saw and get less cutting done.

Attachments

• 52917F68-76FF-4508-8263-565BBD635272.jpeg
    52917F68-76FF-4508-8263-565BBD635272.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 3C4B3260-607B-474A-AC8B-2E87FA91A913.jpeg
    3C4B3260-607B-474A-AC8B-2E87FA91A913.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Its slow as ****.

When I was new to CAD I had 359 loved it ported it that thing was an animal thought it was the size to have.

Later as I started cutting more it was clear I needed more saw. In came a string of 372s 044 440 046 066 064 and a few 084s and a single 026.

Theres 3 saws with me now that 026 shes stayed now for 15 years and a 372 paired with a 385.

Ounce I fugured it out theres never been a reason for a 60cc saw heck theres not much for 50cc.

Wood size 10" to 36"ish ill grab a 70cc with 28". Faster cutting farther reach less work then a short bar on a small slow saw and lightning faster than a bogged down 60cc with long chain.

Just my opinion after cutting wood for 20 years.

If a guy doesnt cut much wood none of this maters thats why I recomend 18" on 50cc.

Its versatile light cut decently quick with a 18" can cut big wood is small in a trunk back seat of the wifes car. This size just gets it done.

If more is needed get more later till then the 18" keeps eating wood.

So, I was talking with my father in law about my interest in getting a chainsaw or two and my plan.
He said he didnt have a need for his Huskie 142e and gave it to me.
I used this saw about 7-8 years ago and it worked alright but the exhaust housing screws kept backing out.
No complaints here its a free saw haha.
Who knows how long its been since it was used and if theres any fuel in it or bar oil, but I'll try and clean it up tomorrow and see if I cant get it started.
Looks like he installed the bar upside down since the chain direction indicator is in the opposite direction of actual chain movement?
Is that a problem at all?
If I get this thing running well and am satisfied with its performance, what would you guys recommend, go on and still get a CS-620pw?

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Looks like you made up your mind, maybe before the post.

Both Echo models you mentioned I'd buy before the lower-end Husqvarna. The "clamshell" designed saws don't make my list of desired saws.

If you need a bigger saw, get one, but 60 cc will fine for a majority of jobs.

Keep bar length near the center or even toward the shorter end of the spectrum for more saw power, longer bar if bucking wood near the ground to save your back.

If anyone could chime in on their recommendations of one over the other or a different saw, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Since it appears you have not dedided. I would suggest looking at three Makita models I believe 50, 56, and 61cc. These will have the chain adjuster in the body of the saw, as opposed to in the clutch cover. The 61cc one has the small bar mount and small rim drive.

Makita is discontinuing their gas saws, I'd stay away from those entirely. Good luck getting parts for a new saw in five years.

With no brand preference, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the dealers in your area, and buy whatever saw is the size you need in the brand that the best dealer carries.

Makita is discontinuing their gas saws, I'd stay away from those entirely. Good luck getting parts for a new saw in five years.

With no brand preference, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the dealers in your area, and buy whatever saw is the size you need in the brand that the best dealer carries.

My thoughts also. I had an old Dolkita (Dolmar PS-420) that I was not that impressed with, plus with Domar gone and Makita giving up, I would not count on parts availability.

Latest posts

Back