Newbie Trying to fix Up Stihl 009 NEED SPARE PARTS !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlumdogSteve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so im trying to get this old stihl 009 working properly it has good compression and the cylinder and piston look decent im not sure what model it is exactly cos im in aus and there seems to be variation on the clutch covers.... ill post pics soon but can anyone advise me on how to reassemble the throttle mechanisms on the handle as in positioning of springs in relation to operator presence lever and throttle trigger im really confused at how that all goes together and am struggling to find service manual info online , also looking for any and all working spares for a stihl 009 need new starter mechanism and the clutch cover with chain break etc may need oil pumps need to get it started ANY HELP APPRECIATED !!! i know nothing about the 009 other than it looks like its built tough as **** , anyone with spares or whole saw with good parts i want it , cheers gents .

STAY SAFE OUT THERE!

Is it top handle, or does it have a back handle?
It sounds like you are missing too many parts to fix it cost effectively to me.
Im not sure about how common these saws were in Australia, but there are zillions of those saws around in the US.
As you suggested, the best cheapest way would be to get two or three "parts saws" and combine the best parts onto one good saw.
More often than not, the oilers don't work if the saw hasn't been used in a while.
The oilers work off engine crankcase impulse, and over time the diaphragm inside stiffens up and quits pumping oil.
They do make a repair kit, and the entire pump, (which is pricey), but was still available from Stihl a couple years ago.
In my opinion, being that the saw has to be running to see if the oiler even works makes them a discouraging project to start on. Even if I get the saw for free and it runs, if the oiler is bad, you're looking at $60 US for a new pump. The repair kits seem to have about a 50/50 chance of reliable success.
The carbs are nla from Stihl, but carb kits are easy to find.

my $.02

The 009 isn`t worth rebuilding unless you just want it as a learning project. It will cost much more than a more modern good working 192 would and there is a better chance for finding parts for the newer models. I have rebuilt quite a few 009, 010 and 012 saws and the parts are just too pricey for building them compared to what they are worth.

Back