Newbie with Echo CS-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trh6152

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newbie here…

recently came into an Echo CS-590 for cheap! Under $200! I’ve given it a good once over, minus compression test or break down of the cylinder. I’m a east coast guy, so my biggest wood is old oaks, poplars, and maples. This saw has been a life saver this week with the snowstorm we had and all the trees that came down.

The saw runs good, well balanced, powerful, easy to start. I’m looking for some better performance out of it; as I’ve got 3+ acres. So far the I’ve got the muffler mod figured out, but cannot find any reliable sources for the carb adjustment (limiter caps) or intake work. Keep the explanations simple… I’m a Marine! Lol.

Any tips or advice are appreciated! Looking forward to learning the true in’s and out’s of this saw!

Attachments

• CF380FEB-5D82-44C2-8B65-B0FA0FF2F7F6.jpeg
    CF380FEB-5D82-44C2-8B65-B0FA0FF2F7F6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • D0CF44E6-552F-4805-9684-FC7EF48A86DB.jpeg
    D0CF44E6-552F-4805-9684-FC7EF48A86DB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 561D012E-0D45-4013-A068-4C0766639D99.jpeg
    561D012E-0D45-4013-A068-4C0766639D99.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
There's going to be two red limiters around where you adjust the carb settings H and L setting, they have tabs that keep them in place so you have to spin them until the tabs line up with the slots in the carb housing and using a screw threaded into the center of the red limiter caps you pull them out, once out you cut off the tabs and place them back in. Here's the issue though sometimes when you take them out and put them back in they don't want to bight very well on the jets anymore so tuning can be difficult so press in a bit more with the adjusting screwdriver if they don't want to work correctly when you put them back in. Don't do the muffler mod until you can do a carb adjust with the limiters removed.

Also give it time to get broken in. It will wake up with break in and muffler mod and a good carb tune. I have the 590 and love it. I don't recommend running a longer bar than 24 inches. Also make sure the oiler is turned up.

I agree run the oiler wide open. I swear my cs 400s out oil the 590 2-1. I run 24" bar in oak all day long and it pulls great IMO. I haven't ran any husky/stihl/dollars to compare to but feels like it's doing well. I would say the oiler could have trouble oiling a longer bar but the oiler is the same part# as the 620pw. I also did a test in the same log with semi skip vs full comp and no difference. Also i recommend upgrading the felling spikes for the 20$ they cost on ebay for pair 20210628_083634.jpg20210410_120418.jpg20210410_101539_resized.jpg

I agree run the oiler wide open. I swear my cs 400s out oil the 590 2-1. I run 24" bar in oak all day long and it pulls great IMO. I haven't ran any husky/stihl/dollars to compare to but feels like it's doing well. I would say the oiler could have trouble oiling a longer bar but the oiler is the same part# as the 620pw. I also did a test in the same log with semi skip vs full comp and no difference. Also i recommend upgrading the felling spikes for the 20$ they cost on ebay for pair View attachment 963487View attachment 963488View attachment 963486
My 590 feels like it puts out plenty of oil for a 20” bar. Did you turn the oiler up all the way on yours? Mine wasn’t fully open from the factory

One of the tree service companies I support is phasing out Stihl Farm Boss saws in favor of the Echo CS-590. They claim no additional weight, more power, and faster cutting with the 3/8" pitch chain. They wore out the bar on one of them and I got them Brufab's bar for a replacement, an Oregon PowerCut, and then made them two extra chains. OP got his for under $200? That's a bargain and a half.

One of the tree service companies I support is phasing out Stihl Farm Boss saws in favor of the Echo CS-590. They claim no additional weight, more power, and faster cutting with the 3/8" pitch chain. They wore out the bar on one of them and I got them Brufab's bar for a replacement, an Oregon PowerCut, and then made them two extra chains. OP got his for under $200? That's a bargain and a half.
The 590s are the best new saw you can get for $400 IMO. I see no reason as to why somebody would buy a Stihl 271 or a Husky 450 when the 590 is the same price and blows those saws out of the water

My dealer price matched 2 of them for 239.99 each from a chain store that had them on clearance since they were switching to husky homeowner saws. Got my saw tuned and assembled plus bar oil and fuel tanks topped off that was first week of March 2020 I think. I got the b&c combo from frawleys for around 80$ shipped

My dealer price matched 2 of them for 239.99 each from a chain store that had them on clearance since they were switching to husky homeowner saws. Got my saw tuned and assembled plus bar oil and fuel tanks topped off that was first week of March 2020 I think. I got the b&c combo from frawleys for around 80$ shipped
Great information, Brufab. Echo seems to know exactly how to take advantage of Stihl, a company resting on their Farm Boss laurels. That's now history.

My dealer treated me so good that I bought 2 of the orange echo carry boxes for the 590 and the big pb9010t backpack blower. I doubt they made any $ @239.99 for the 590s. They also fed us steaks when we got the backpack blower during echo days. They had a steak and greet they called it. Had a big food spread and echo reps there for the day. That was early March 2020 luckily we didn't catch covid and the state of Michigan shut down due to covid about 10-14 days afterwards.

Newbie here…

recently came into an Echo CS-590 for cheap! Under $200! I’ve given it a good once over, minus compression test or break down of the cylinder. I’m a east coast guy, so my biggest wood is old oaks, poplars, and maples. This saw has been a life saver this week with the snowstorm we had and all the trees that came down.

The saw runs good, well balanced, powerful, easy to start. I’m looking for some better performance out of it; as I’ve got 3+ acres. So far the I’ve got the muffler mod figured out, but cannot find any reliable sources for the carb adjustment (limiter caps) or intake work. Keep the explanations simple… I’m a Marine! Lol.

Any tips or advice are appreciated! Looking forward to learning the true in’s and out’s of this saw!
Take out the limiters, make sure to re tune the carb if you move the limiters during the removal,
either way, if you do a muffler mod you will have to add more fuel to the engine, turn the screws out
anti clockwise to add more fuel, in does the opposite and is dangerous, less fuel means the engine is running lean, lean means more heat, and an eventual melt down, avoid this at all cost.

CARB TUNING, NOT ON AN ECHO, BUT SAME GOES FOR THE ECHO.
Listen to what he says, as he explains what turning the screws actually does.

Newbie here…

Great saws! I don’t have one but have run one and am around them quite often. They are not only a great value, but a great saw regardless of the $.
I’ll try to repeat what has already been posted (all great advice) in other words just to try and be helpful. When removing the limiters on those, turn them fully counter clockwise before attempting to pull them out. I actually used one of my daughters bobby pins to do this. I straightened it out and bent a small hook on the end, put it into the plastic limiter and pulled. It came out easy. I trimmed the tabs off and slid them back on. I then use a tachometer to tune to the specified rpm. But like said before, let the engine break in a bit. Echos are tight and “doggy” when new. It’ll get way stronger.

Got my saw tuned and assembled plus bar oil and fuel tanks topped off that was first week of March 2020 I think.
I think I got ripped off. My dealer just has one in stock at a time, hanging on the wall. Both limiters turned all the way out, he didn't tune anything. Did have a bar and a full chisel Rotary Copperhead Chain on it. It cut like a beast, and pulled its way right through the wood. I did turn up the oiler to max. Think I will get that extra dog.

I felt horrible for my salesman that I got 2 of them for 239.99 each. If I waited another week the big box store had them at 219.99. They still treated me like I paid full retail. That's why I bought cases and a 550$ backpack blower from him a couple months later. I will always use that echo dealer for any future purchases and I left a holy grail review for my salesman and the dealer, I left out the 239.99 in the review just to be safe

I think it was family farm and home stores here in michigan I could of drove 2.5 hours to get 2 @ 239.99 but instead my dealer price matched the clearance price to my surprise. Warranties were registered too all I had to do was hand over 239.99 + tax x 2 and take my saws home and start cutting. Weingartz is my dealer here in michigan

Latest posts

Back