Newer vs older model husky’s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanedrew

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, over the past year or so now I’ve acquired a handful of older husqvarna saws, first was a 2003 model 350 from an auction with pretty low hours, it just looked like someone couldn’t get the clutch cover back on properly since the brake had been tripped, so fixed that, and since then have done a base gasket delete, muffler mod, flat top piston, as well as new crank bearings and seals while I was at it, and of course, the metal intake boot clamp, very strong running saw with a 20 inch bar, have had no problems with it, i also did some tree work for an older gentlemen who happened to have 2 very nice condition saws which he claimed he took good care of, which upon inspection I could tell he wasn’t lying, anyways those were an 262xp and an non x-torq 365 special, both saws were super clean and in fantastic shape, and he cut me a deal on them that I couldn’t resist, Ive used the saws a handful of times cleaning up trees and have to say I love the power of them both, just running 20 inch bars on them right now, but I keep them all in cases and clean them after each use in an effort to preserve them the best I can since they are in such good shape, these saws most definitely suit my needs and are great saws, but was wondering how they rack up with the newer pro saws with auto tune and what not, such as the 572xp. Ive thought about selling a couple of the saws I have ( have 2 ms250s as well) and getting a 572 just so I could have a new saw that only I have owned and know what it’s been through, but at the same time I feel it would be silly to get rid of the super nice older saws that I have, particularly the 365 and the 262, but would like opinions on purchasing one of the new saws, as far as if they’re really that much better than the older saws, I’m blessed to be mechanically inclined and have been working on saws for a few years now, and definitely enjoyed tearing down and rebuilding a 51 I once had more than rebuilding the newer 576xpg (non autotune) that I have now, I’m sure saws are getting more complicated as improvements in technology come along, just like everything else, so are the new saws really worth the investment??

Attachments

• C0DDC89E-D3D6-4392-8FF9-0F4978735FFE.jpeg
    C0DDC89E-D3D6-4392-8FF9-0F4978735FFE.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 82F3AAB6-F7DC-4424-9B65-7E83B9925037.jpeg
    82F3AAB6-F7DC-4424-9B65-7E83B9925037.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 820FBA49-3030-4FEB-B6F1-ADB7D39E1674.jpeg
    820FBA49-3030-4FEB-B6F1-ADB7D39E1674.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 61
Is that the guy from "sling blade"? He was handy with small engines. As far as your dilemma is concerned, only you can decide. Seems like you want new.
If it was me and the 262 and 365 run as you say, I would keep them. They are pro saws and will last a long time with the care you give. Why buy new and the first time you use it it is used, just like the 262 and 365?

Is that the guy from "sling blade"? He was handy with small engines. As far as your dilemma is concerned, only you can decide. Seems like you want new.
If it was me and the 262 and 365 run as you say, I would keep them. They are pro saws and will last a long time with the care you give. Why buy new and the first time you use it it is used, just like the 262 and 365?
Why yes that is Karl Childers himself, who “thinks of the simplest things first” such as making sure it has gas in it, and I’m not so much 100% leaning towards the new, I tend to enjoy the older things and enjoy working on them, such as Ford tractors from the 50s and 60s ( have a 1950 8n and a 56 860), I have heard nothing but good about the 365s and 262s, and have no problem with them being older saws, especially as good if shape as they’re in, ( I’m a little particular as far as maintenance and taking care of equipment), and I absolutely love running them, I guess I more so wanted opinions on how the new autotune saws run compared to the older saws, and if any parts quality or anything like that has gone down hill on the manufacturer’s side of things I’ve enjoyed tinkering on small engines and what not for a while now and the idea of chainsaws that tune themselves as well as Stihls fuel injected ms500i really spark my interest, which is one reason why I would even look into purchasing one

Those are better saws than any new saws. The 262 and 365 are sought-after models.

your 262xp is perhaps the most desireable year and it is pristine. Don't sell it to a goof. should you make the mistake of selling it, that is.
Thank you very much for your reply, I honestly have thought that it would be very unwise for me to sell either saw ever since I bought them, especially considering what the gentlemen gave them to me for, ( $250 each) and so I feel very lucky to have gotten them for that good of a deal, being owned by one gentlemen and obviously taken care of, they were both kept in cases and I have them both in cases currently and would hate to sell them to someone who would possibly not take care of them

My first Quality saw was a Husky 266XP, it has Earned it’s nickname “Ol Reliable “
I bought it new in about 1991, still have, and will Never part with it

I have had many comment here, about the 266’s being Amazing saws, I have also heard many comments about the 262XP as well, very sought after saws, I would hold on to a pristine one like that.

The Husky 2XX series saws overall have an Excellent reputation for Power and Reliability (the late model 240’s, are not to be confused with the earlier 2XX series saws)

Doug

Hello all, over the past year or so now I’ve acquired a handful of older husqvarna saws, first was a 2003 model 350 from an auction with pretty low hours, it just looked like someone couldn’t get the clutch cover back on properly since the brake had been tripped, so fixed that, and since then have done a base gasket delete, muffler mod, flat top piston, as well as new crank bearings and seals while I was at it, and of course, the metal intake boot clamp, very strong running saw with a 20 inch bar, have had no problems with it, i also did some tree work for an older gentlemen who happened to have 2 very nice condition saws which he claimed he took good care of, which upon inspection I could tell he wasn’t lying, anyways those were an 262xp and an non x-torq 365 special, both saws were super clean and in fantastic shape, and he cut me a deal on them that I couldn’t resist, Ive used the saws a handful of times cleaning up trees and have to say I love the power of them both, just running 20 inch bars on them right now, but I keep them all in cases and clean them after each use in an effort to preserve them the best I can since they are in such good shape, these saws most definitely suit my needs and are great saws, but was wondering how they rack up with the newer pro saws with auto tune and what not, such as the 572xp. Ive thought about selling a couple of the saws I have ( have 2 ms250s as well) and getting a 572 just so I could have a new saw that only I have owned and know what it’s been through, but at the same time I feel it would be silly to get rid of the super nice older saws that I have, particularly the 365 and the 262, but would like opinions on purchasing one of the new saws, as far as if they’re really that much better than the older saws, I’m blessed to be mechanically inclined and have been working on saws for a few years now, and definitely enjoyed tearing down and rebuilding a 51 I once had more than rebuilding the newer 576xpg (non autotune) that I have now, I’m sure saws are getting more complicated as improvements in technology come along, just like everything else, so are the new saws really worth the investment??
If you want a bigger saw put a 372 top end on the 365, new oem p/c kits are ~$125, if your existing p/c are good put them on the shelf as a spare or sell them and get a bit of your money back.

If you want a bigger saw put a 372 top end on the 365, new oem p/c kits are ~$125, if your existing p/c are good put them on the shelf as a spare or sell them and get a bit of your money back.
It’s not so much that I need a bigger saw, I have a 576xp that I recently rebuilt that I have a 28 inch bar on, plenty of saw for me for me maybe even an overkill at times

You gonna have more than a few guys jealous with those series saws in that condition. Wow!
Hang on to em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Much appreciated!! I am very glad I was able to get them in the shape they’re in, I’m pretty meticulous when it comes to taking care of things, so it was nice to be able to get nice older saws like that that didn’t need anything at all done to them

When you said "older", I expected to hear you talk about saws with no chainbrakes and no anti-vibe, like the Homey XP1000 I once had. IMHO the Huskys you described are all good saws, better than those MS250's...so yes I'd sell those and then continue to run what ya brung.

Those are better saws than any new saws. The 262 and 365 are sought-after models.

your 262xp is perhaps the most desireable year and it is pristine. Don't sell it to a goof. should you make the mistake of selling it, that is.
I agree, those are good models of saws to have, I would avoid selling them, they are reliable and easy enough to work on, and parts
are still around.
I sold my 372 and Jonsered 2153, both with low hours, bought for a job and then foolishly sold on, nothing came out to replace
the 2153 except that diabolical 550 that tortured everyone who bought them around me, other than Makita and Echo, which no one
sold close to me at the time, so I ordered online, Makita were my favorite, simple saws, Echo are the same, but neither
of them had a 50cc saw that could better the 2153.

I Have a 272 that I rebuilt. Did a base gasket delete, new piston and ring, running original cylinder. I keep a 24in bar on the saw. It is all the saw I need. I also have a 372xp, before the xtorq. I honestly believe the 272 will out cut it. I am a sucker for the old 51's and 55's. probably built a hundred of them and still my favorite firewood saw. Other saws include a 266, a 288, a dolmar 7900, or is it a 7901, I cant remember, its sits in the corner and I havent picked it up in a couple of years. 3 or 4 55's. a 346xp another 372 in a box I might rebuild when I get around to it. I dont burn firewood anymore so I should probably get rid of all my saws, but what would I do if we have a storm and I have to cut my way out.

My son is using the 570. 365, 371 right now. The 575/385xp cut the bigger stuff we had. The older saws still can do the job.

Add more two stroke 32-1. Keep the chain razor sharp.

Latest posts

Back