next years wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have run out of time to get wood for next year so I bought a triaxle load, seemed like a decent deal and best of all I can work on processing it at my leisure.
l71UDIB.jpg

IzEr82vl.jpg

zirrQrel.jpg

R8mH2rul.jpg

I probably have half of it cut and split, the grapple sure makes the job much easier!
NJUN1SCl.jpg

I have run out of time to get wood for next year so I bought a triaxle load, seemed like a decent deal and best of all I can work on processing it at my leisure.
l71UDIB.jpg

IzEr82vl.jpg

zirrQrel.jpg

R8mH2rul.jpg

I probably have half of it cut and split, the grapple sure makes the job much easier!
NJUN1SCl.jpg
I wish I had that tractor.....

Curious, how much $$$ and what were species of wood?

I heat with wood, but heating oil is $6/gal , so might be time to cut up all the deadwood on the property......

l71UDIB.jpg

IzEr82vl.jpg

zirrQrel.jpg

R8mH2rul.jpg

NJUN1SCl.jpg
That’s one ugly looking log in the one pIc..oh wait, that’s you…lol

I wish I had that tractor.....

Curious, how much $$$ and what were species of wood?

I heat with wood, but heating oil is $6/gal , so might be time to cut up all the deadwood on the property......
Mostly red maple, ash and a bit of cherry in those pics, which would be a common mix to get in a firewood truckload in the Northeast/northern Midwest. The prices will tend to vary a fair somewhat from region to region.

$600 per load that ends up around 7 cord or so. I get a mix of red oak maple and some black birch. The wood is not pole wood, they save that for their processor.

Any predictions on where cordwood prices will go next winter with heating oil (LGBFJB!!!) at $6/gal now?

I'm in northeast, and remember delivering cords at $40 when the AROBs drove up fuel in the 1970s. Splitting up a cord with a maul was fun back then........

I don't have equipment for scaling up but just selling a few cord will help with the feeling of being raped everytime I fill up the pickup.

Any predictions on where cordwood prices will go next winter with heating oil (LGBFJB!!!) at $6/gal now?

I'm in northeast, and remember delivering cords at $40 when the AROBs drove up fuel in the 1970s. Splitting up a cord with a maul was fun back then........

I don't have equipment for scaling up but just selling a few cord will help with the feeling of being raped everytime I fill up the pickup.
If it’s a cold winter, all bets are off the table….I’m taking orders but not pricing it yet….

Now a "face" is any width 8 X 4' pile. Are you using 16" width, e.g. 1/3 of a "cord"/128 cu ft?
Most anyone around here will cut 16 to 24 inch depending on what the customer wants. For that price I would hope so. I paid 80 for 24" last year as I was out and so were most sellers. After that I cut the rest. Cj

I saw this energy crisis coming for a long time. I remember about 10 yrs ago that propane went to 6 bucks and every one with a fireplace wanted to burn wood. I could hardly find enough wood and even took boxelder, soft maple and pine. The last few yrs. you couldn't give wood away. Last fall I decided to get a jump and got this and next winters worth of nice ash. I just had to pick it up 36 mi. away and I was working close by . I got at least 2 yrs. wod wood sitting. When I started I figured I had $2,000 worth of heat sitting there. When I got done , the same pile was worth $4,000 of heat. Now it is worth $5,000 and I did not add any wood to it. It's a terrible thing to see and the old poor people are going to really suffer.

Back