Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got around to buck some bigger stuff I had. Swamp White Oak. Loggers forgot this one . Been laying out in woods for couple years now. Kept putting it off. But, finally got it cut into 4 sections and pulled out. Used my PP455 and was going to use my 5200, but all of sudden had no spark. Odd. So used the Husky 385xp on some of it.

Today I looked into the 5200 and concluded it was coil, after trying one off my older 5200. Saw fired on second pull. So went back out and cut some with it. Runs great. Anyone know if the plug wire can be reconnected inside of coil? It will spin rather easy, like not connected. The one I put in to replace it does not spin. Any way here are few pics and videos. Old Poulans in action, and old farmer too. LOL

View attachment 930693

View attachment 930694

View attachment 930695

View attachment 930696

Gregg,

Nice saws Gregg. I’ve spun new wires onto coils before. I think I just sealed around it with a little silicone after.

Nice saws Gregg. I’ve spun new wires onto coils before. I think I just sealed around it with a little silicone after.
I never had one apart to know how they are put together. Last night I was looking at it, and I could turn the plug wire freely, inside the body. I kept turning it clock wise as tightening, and it eventually got tight as if it was just "un-screwed". Strange. I guess I will put it back in saw eventually and see if it works. Something tells me even if it works, it could come apart again inside. There are no moving parts, but just the temp changes and vibration must affect them. Thanks Joe

Gregg,

I never had one apart to know how they are put together. Last night I was looking at it, and I could turn the plug wire freely, inside the body. I kept turning it clock wise as tightening, and it eventually got tight as if it was just "un-screwed". Strange. I guess I will put it back in saw eventually and see if it works. Something tells me even if it works, it could come apart again inside. There are no moving parts, but just the temp changes and vibration must affect them. Thanks Joe

Gregg,
Gregg I never took a 54 85 coil apart to check. But on others they just unscrew. OEM will have a sealer around top area. I just remove sealer and unscrew to put a longer lead in this oem 361 coil to put in a 88.

g8883611.jpgg888361.jpg

Got around to buck some bigger stuff I had. Swamp White Oak. Loggers forgot this one . Been laying out in woods for couple years now. Kept putting it off. But, finally got it cut into 4 sections and pulled out. Used my PP455 and was going to use my 5200, but all of sudden had no spark. Odd. So used the Husky 385xp on some of it.

Today I looked into the 5200 and concluded it was coil, after trying one off my older 5200. Saw fired on second pull. So went back out and cut some with it. Runs great. Anyone know if the plug wire can be reconnected inside of coil? It will spin rather easy, like not connected. The one I put in to replace it does not spin. Any way here are few pics and videos. Old Poulans in action, and old farmer too. LOL

View attachment 930693

View attachment 930694

View attachment 930695

View attachment 930696

Gregg,

Love to hear a 5200 doing it’s thing! Nice

Lot of guys like these 46cc. Almost like a cult like following in some of the chainsaw groups. I still like the 42cc PP260 better.

I finally gave in and drilled a tank on the plastic saws so I didn’t have to run the small tygon line. Opened to use 3x5 echo now. Shes alive and idle all day.

Was opening muffler baffle and notice a puddle of bar oil after topping tanks off.

I really hate these 46cc plastic saws even more now after cleaning and finding a crack in front of plastic tank. 😂. I’ll seal all or steelstik or jb later.
Then I found a 2nd crack under recoil cover.
::)
:D

Holding and doing I recall why I don’t like. Just don’t like the feel of this series 2750 2900 2.8 295 4620.

I have another case here too to use in another parts saw. I just really feel I already wasted enough time on this saw and I dont like them. So not worth my time.

Might become this years under dirt root cutter or part it out.

View attachment 930259View attachment 930260View attachment 930261View attachment 930262
This damn thing followed me home. Guess I have to make it run. Haven’t pulled the muffler, compression from my hand meter seems good42F5D81E-062C-4AD6-88A1-4F4CB4ACA313.jpeg3DC1CB9E-B013-4E48-9DAE-6C5A45E8ECFD.jpeg420174F8-0275-4CB0-AFC9-942B9F4C3FCB.jpegC312B3C9-08D9-4692-BB5D-D6DDADF04FAC.jpeg

I'm having trouble getting poulan saws with strato carb to 4 stoke. Any suggests? other than throw them out.

The design kinda seems like a controlled air leak!
Zama W26, the C1M series carbs?

Set metering lever up, touching the Z gauge or use a straight edge. Then back out the H screw (farthest from engine) three turns CCW from fully seated. The limiters removed, of course.

That should surely make it “4 Stoke”, provided that your two diaphragms are like new, the little sieve screen is clean & your fuel tank cap is venting .

Zama W26, the C1M series carbs?

Set metering lever up, touching the Z gauge or use a straight edge. Then back out the H screw (farthest from engine) three turns CCW from fully seated. The limiters removed, of course.

That should surely make it “4 Stoke”, provided that your two diaphragms are like new, the little sieve screen is clean & your fuel tank cap is venting .
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Out today.

Just wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone and hope you're doing well.
It's been a long hot summer and I've just been hiding out helping my son with his house next door to me. They are moved in and got some grass growing in the back yard, front is still bare dirt.
Took a road trip couple hours north and got a saw. It's a nice 5200 with a 24 bar
Then I stumbled upon a craftsman 5.2 with a 30 bar.20210915_161209.jpg20210927_195331.jpg

Just wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone and hope you're doing well.
It's been a long hot summer and I've just been hiding out helping my son with his house next door to me. They are moved in and got some grass growing in the back yard, front is still bare dirt.
Took a road trip couple hours north and got a saw. It's a nice 5200 with a 24 bar
Then I stumbled upon a craftsman 5.2 with a 30 bar.View attachment 931816View attachment 931817

Was that the craftsman from facebook group? I was gonna grab it but want a green one to go with my red one.

A bored, Friday night 1/2 drunk BUMP!
My beloved P220 with MM & deflector, timing advance (not quite a 1/2 key)
New gaskets, new fuel line & filter.
Could have gone further, but a DEMON in the cut as is!
LOVE this 42cc saw (14" bar, Stihl full chisel 3/8Lp 50)!

Attachments

• 20211001_210521.jpg
    20211001_210521.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211001_210503.jpg
    20211001_210503.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210726_172622.jpg
    IMG_20210726_172622.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210721_155025.jpg
    IMG_20210721_155025.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
A bored, Friday night 1/2 drunk BUMP!
My beloved P220 with MM & deflector, timing advance (not quite a 1/2 key)
New gaskets, new fuel line & filter.
Could have gone further, but a DEMON in the cut as is!
LOVE this 42cc saw (14" bar, Stihl full chisel 3/8Lp 50)!
Picked up a 220 recently for the usual $20. Threw a bar and chain and a Chinese chain brake and it's a runner . I've had a few of these and always found that they can bite your hand if they don't start. So I was thinking that the timing might already be somewhat advanced.

Can anybody here put up a pic of the right hand side of a wt4018 carburetor? The boy tore down the one he bought (non running) before I could look at it and I cannot figure out what to do with the black lever on the top of the aluminum plate.

He wanted a project saw so he got a hell of a project. Needed new p&c, crank seals, fuel line and carb rebuild. All back together and damn if it doesn't pull as hard as my 3700 with base gasket delete. Should be a nice runner for him I think.

Can anybody here put up a pic of the right hand side of a wt4018 carburetor? The boy tore down the one he bought (non running) before I could look at it and I cannot figure out what to do with the black lever on the top of the aluminum plate.

He wanted a project saw so he got a hell of a project. Needed new p&c, crank seals, fuel line and carb rebuild. All back together and damn if it doesn't pull as hard as my 3700 with base gasket delete. Should be a nice runner for him I think.
The plastic lever, sometimes metal, opens the secondary air valve to the engine.

Latest posts

Back