Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time no post here - but I just got given a Poulan Pro PP3640 from someone who doesn't need it anymore and was clearing their shed.

Looks like a nice little saw with minimal use. And timely, since some %#$& stole my MS260 and Husky 266 recently. Although I've got a used 372XP coming as my 266 replacement i.e. 'big saw', it's great to have a smaller saw for smaller jobs (firewood, limbing).

I can't find much or anything about the PP3640 via the usual sources (google or youtube) - any good info or tips out there on this saw in addition to the manual (which I have)?
I found an IPL for your PP3640 on the Poulan Pro USA site.

Attachments

• PP3640 IPL.pdf
    116.3 KB · Views: 6
I found an IPL for your PP3640
Awesome - many thanks. So she's a 40cc saw with 1.4kW / 1.8HP output, which is just over half the 2.6kW output of the MS260.
Was quite surprised that the saw started after just 3 pulls (including 2 with the choke in full position) after what I think is several years between uses!

Finally got my friends 4218 going. However I'm having an issue with idling properly w/o the chain spinning. I've had the carb on and off so many times I thought the rubber intake tube might be leaking. Started saw and sprayed carb cleaner around it and sure enough it died. Rather than reseal with some dirko Ht or something similar, I decided to buy a new intake tube. This area seems to be a weak point on these saws, esp. with repeated carb removals.

The frame of the saw with the presence lever is Canadian. I can't say about the chainbrake, I paid up for it on ebay. I have the green version of the saw with another chainbrake added on.View attachment 941961
That's what I thought. Apparently a significant number of the 3400-3800 countervibe saws in Canada had chainbrakes, while those sold in the U.S. did not. I wanted one with a chainbrake and had to get Fossil to get one for me because they were available in Canada, but not so much in the U.S.

Here is one I a finally getting ready to let go. It was sold as a craftsman 3.0 with 18”.
But is really a craftsman 3.4 poulan 3400 56cc.
Has new fuel and tank vent lines oem echo used. New duckbill. New carb kit. New crank seals. Finally last piece the dang air filter.
I hide a couple from myself for awhile now.
I ended up putting a 16” set in place of the worn out 18”.
Look at the 358# and you can see how Sears listed this on front cover of manual as a 3.0.
Another air filter I was trying to find turned up too. 🤦‍♂️

c3034x.jpgc3034xx.jpgc3034xxxxx.jpgc3034xxx.jpgc3034xxxx.jpgc3034xxxxxx.jpgc3034af.jpg

c303418.png

First Countervibe bought today, 358.354830 red, Craftsman 3.7/18 thin ring.1982.Piston, cylinder look really good.At high revs cuts out about 8k-9k, ordered a carb kit.135lb compression.Idles all day long.Not sure how bad exhaust is gunked up, only took out front two bolts.Looks like the tank vent is missing, just an empty hole next to fuel line hose.Huge crud on this,never worked on.I think i will keep it.

First Countervibe bought today, 358.354830 red, Craftsman 3.7/18 thin ring.1982.Piston, cylinder look really good.At high revs cuts out about 8k-9k, ordered a carb kit.135lb compression.Idles all day long.Not sure how bad exhaust is gunked up, only took out front two bolts.Looks like the tank vent is missing, just an empty hole next to fuel line hose.Huge crud on this,never worked on.I think i will keep it.
Sounds like you found a good one that's an excellent firewood saw as solid and dependable as they come
congratulations!

Latest posts

Back