Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need anything just let me know. How is the air filter
Thanks. Haven't had a chance to look it over any further. Got home late and have a long list of projects waiting today. Yes, it's killing me!!! Lol.
Reminds of Christmas as a kid. Open a bunch of really cool gifts then leave to go to grandmas!!

Thanks. Haven't had a chance to look it over any further. Got home late and have a long list of projects waiting today. Yes, it's killing me!!! Lol.
Reminds of Christmas as a kid. Open a bunch of really cool gifts then leave to go to grandmas!!
Not badIMG_20230520_140448463.jpg

Well the 5400 is a few pounds lighter after a good cleaning/ inspection.
I was very pleased with the piston and cylinder. I'm glad I took the time. I think every stink bug in Mt. Carmel Illinois was up inside that saw. At least 20 around the cylinder. Could have been a fire for sure. Didn't see any other issues besides a bolt being snapped of on the top cover ( got it out) , the bar being packed so bad I guarantee it wasn't getting oil and the muffler had taken somewhat of a hit at some point making a little body work necessary.
I feel confident enough now to go stick it in a log when I get the chance. IMG_20230520_233924801.jpgIMG_20230520_233858032.jpgIMG_20230520_233846642.jpg

Well the 5400 is a few pounds lighter after a good cleaning/ inspection.
I was very pleased with the piston and cylinder. I'm glad I took the time. I think every stink bug in Mt. Carmel Illinois was up inside that saw. At least 20 around the cylinder. Could have been a fire for sure. Didn't see any other issues besides a bolt being snapped of on the top cover ( got it out) , the bar being packed so bad I guarantee it wasn't getting oil and the muffler had taken somewhat of a hit at some point making a little body work necessary.
I feel confident enough now to go stick it in a log when I get the chance. View attachment 1084222View attachment 1084223View attachment 1084224
Well done mate that old girl is quite tidy

Whats up with the different muffler cover on front? Never had one here with that front.

@Todd Loosli any of the ones you got have that front cover?

View attachment 1083851
Whats up with the different muffler cover on front? Never had one here with that front.

@Todd Loosli any of the ones you got have that front cover?

View attachment 1083851
I have a few of those. I believe they are just a heavy duty cover protector.

I finally made some time this week to get back to this 5400, thanks again to Todd for the seals. Runs and cuts like a champ.

I had the D176 32" bar mounted but with that narrow tail the chain kept jumping off. I found a 30" bar with a wider tail that fit with the "S" style adapter. .404 chain and a 7 tooth sprocket works well.

20230526_104632.jpg

20230526_104700.jpg

It is had to judge in a 2D photo but there is quite a pile of chips there. The old oak log is still pretty hard.

20230526_104732.jpg

Mark

I believe the 5400 has a mismatched bar and chain or the bar desperately need to visit the pinch roller. Way too much slop. I can cut straight but it takes some concentration not to end up with boat wood.
Screenshot_20230530-050551_Samsung Internet.jpg
Pick yourself up one of these , about the size of a credit card.

Sorry, this isn't Poulan specific, just an update to a question somebody asked," what did ya get for Christmas" some months ago. I got one of them China clone 372xp kits from Farmertech. I put it together in Jan. sometime, but was much later when we had a warm day before I tried to fire it up for first time. Fueled it, but got no spark. Checked everything, wires, connections, plug etc. NO JOY. Bought an aftermarket coil from Wolf Creek saw shop, supposedly better than the one that comes in kit, but less money than OEM. Same results with it. So I got another el cheapo from Farmertech, this one finally made spark.
About 3-4 pulls and it farted, couple more and away she went. Been running very well so far, but not been into any serious wood yet. Now I kinda succumbed to what I said I wasn't going to do, and try to keep it as cheap as possible. Before I started on the kit I did buy a big bore 76cc P/C from Farmertech. Both it and the 71cc cyl. that came with it looked good to me. Another expense was I ordered one of them kits to install case halves, bearings etc. Worked very well by the way.
Another thing I bought right from the get go was a different carb. Everyone said the one it kit usually has problems. Everyone said buy a OEM Walbro and be done with it. Trouble is that is in the $100 range or more. Did some searching and found a Zama carb for the 372. Its also a Chinese made carb I believe, but looks right and was only $34 as I recall. My Poulan Pro 375 has a Zama on it, no problems with it. I set the screws approx 1 full turn out, maybe a hair more. I have had it running 5 or 6 times so far, and did a small amount of cutting with it, Starts well, runs good and I have not touched the screws yet, at all. Probably will when I get it in some big wood.
This is not gonna be ported or raced so I actually used the base gasket on this, just makes me feel better I guess. I did mod the stock muffler by drilling out the tiny opening and welded in a 1" pipe. LOL probably a little overkill but seems to run good. wee bit on the loud side. I ended up spending a little more than originally planed. Bought a full wrap handle and large dogs also. I'll see how I like it. Could put original handle on it.
I used original crank and bearings also. Some questioned the quality, but this is for my own use and not be raced or anything. I ended up spending more than planed for this, by adding things or changing my mind on things. Hardest part of this project was sorting through all the screws trying to figure what was used where. I ended up buying some OEM screws for the recoil cover. I didn't keep a tally, but I figure I have way less than $500 in this, closer to $400 to be honest. So far I am happy with it and been good experience making a saw from scratch, so to speak.

IMG_20230529_105145887.jpg

IMG_20230529_105203215.jpg

IMG_20230529_105227442.jpg

Gregg,

Back