Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a little off topic, so I'll add couple saw pics too. LOL I took down a recent storm damaged red Oak. Top half of tree was rotten in center, and when it hit the ground, few sections split open. Was full of these GIANT grubs. Biggest I have ever seen. They are at least the size of my little finger.
Near as I can tell, they will be some kind of beetle. Curious if you fellas run across these. I have seen a lot of grubs, but not this size.

Been using my favorite Poulan saw a lot lately. The 4000, along with its lighter little brother, the 3000. They make a great pair. The older I get, I really have taken a shine to the 3000. Light weight, but still plenty of power to handle good size wood. I use a number of saws, depending on the job, but for general all around use, I will pick a 4000 with 20" bar, just love that saw!

View attachment 1010074

View attachment 1010075

View attachment 1010076

View attachment 1010077

Gregg,
Those are called wood worms. They are the larva of wood boring beetles. They can get into structural wood in buildings and even furniture. When they hatch, they eat their way out of the wood.

I came across them a few years ago in some punky firewood rounds.

It wouldn't hurt to burn the rotten wood if you are able to do that.

This is a little off topic, so I'll add couple saw pics too. LOL I took down a recent storm damaged red Oak. Top half of tree was rotten in center, and when it hit the ground, few sections split open. Was full of these GIANT grubs. Biggest I have ever seen. They are at least the size of my little finger.
Near as I can tell, they will be some kind of beetle. Curious if you fellas run across these. I have seen a lot of grubs, but not this size.

Been using my favorite Poulan saw a lot lately. The 4000, along with its lighter little brother, the 3000. They make a great pair. The older I get, I really have taken a shine to the 3000. Light weight, but still plenty of power to handle good size wood. I use a number of saws, depending on the job, but for general all around use, I will pick a 4000 with 20" bar, just love that saw!

View attachment 1010074

View attachment 1010075

View attachment 1010076

View attachment 1010077

Gregg,
Good chook food.

Bob dont see any covers on the 3.3. AF or cyl.

You have hand guard on handle so you dont need the one with holes in it for hand guard on cylinder cover. Least we know that now.

So figure out what all you need. I been pulling from a running parts saw on shelf for parts.

Bob dont see any covers on the 3.3. AF or cyl.

You have hand guard on handle so you dont need the one with holes in it for hand guard on cylinder cover. Least we know that now.

So figure out what all you need. I been pulling from a running parts saw on shelf for parts.
Drug it out of the shed for some better pics post reassembly. I think I just need the air box cover and filter but it's my first one of these so I could certainly be missing something. IMG_20220815_195929099_HDR.jpgIMG_20220815_195919638_HDR.jpgIMG_20220815_195957988_HDR.jpg

Drug it out of the shed for some better pics post reassembly. I think I just need the air box cover and filter but it's my first one of these so I could certainly be missing something. View attachment 1010363View attachment 1010364View attachment 1010365

I dont think I have any used filter. I do have some NOS af left but they are pricey. So you might want to find a usable used just because of cost.
I have the AF cover too.

If your really interested send a PM and I'll get back. I only get on this site every now then anymore so be patient.

pafcx.jpg

pafnos.jpg

Got my craftsman 3.3 in a log today with some parts from a good man on here! Very good torque on this thing. I did notice on closer inspection that there is no shoulder on the bar mount bolts. Now I wonder if someone replaced them with a standard bolt. Always something else to look into I guess. Love the saw tho. Glad you all encouraged me to do this one.

Got my craftsman 3.3 in a log today with some parts from a good man on here! Very good torque on this thing. I did notice on closer inspection that there is no shoulder on the bar mount bolts. Now I wonder if someone replaced them with a standard bolt. Always something else to look into I guess. Love the saw tho. Glad you all encouraged me to do this one.

I've had a lot of them in like that with no shoulders. My guess what they used sometimes.

This ole ate up 3.3 parts saw, you can see them too.

c33corr.jpg

Good morning all. During my eBay time this morning I saw a Poulan 8500 bow saw being offered for $1,700.00 or best offer. Nice looking example to be sure, but really? A friend of mine, a VMI grad and smart fellow, has a saying for situations like this: "I've got nothing." To each his own, and I'm not being critical, but what's happening to our hobby and way of life? Have a great and safe day, Max.

Back