Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skil relabled the poulans. Even like the one you show. Andre used to have one. Dont know if he sold it. See them not as often as craftsman ones but see them here.
Just a pics from others saved to thread over the years on my old website.

I still think the neatest are the silver ridgid ones.

skil1624.jpgskilsaw.jpgskilpoulan.jpgskil1641.jpgskil16411.jpg

Is that the beauty is only case deep model. My 7700 was the same way, never cleaned or blown out.
Yep. Least he kept AF and crankcase bar side clean too.

I was being careful with fasteners removing to not bugger up the straight slots.

c37ttt.jpgc37t.jpgc37ttttt.jpg

This is my new saves in the last 6 weeks. Both have been gone thru with new bearings, seals, rings. Speaking of rings I'm glad that i got a few pair especially for the 7700 about 5 years ago. Things are getting much harder to find. Anyway they are both running well. I start them and let them get up to temp and run easy for 5 minutes and shut off. I have looked at the piston and cylinder both are doing well. Fingers crossed.PXL_20230323_020551325.jpg

Going back through everything. I caught a mistake I made yesterday.

61cc thin rings 3.7.

I installed the wrong Walbro fuel filter. The small one for 30cc under stuff. I put right one on today and she starts and idles fine.

I’m wondering also if setting over night with my fresh efree mix might have help dias some too. No clue but great now.

Least now I got a new batch of carb kits on order for these now too.

But has anyone seen just a wrong size fuel filter do something like this before?

Video on CR FB running perfect now.

Auto oiler works great too. 😎

c37oil.jpg

Your post is confusing…now starts & idle just fine, but go lean when cutting?

What did you do?, install a smaller 125-527 instead of a 125-528.
Yesterdays post. Would start but not take throttle or idle.

Switch filter today to the larger one it should have had and is perfect.

I'm also thinking since run dry and set. The mix being inside carb over night soften things back up. Just my WAG

But ya you hit them on head.

small 30cc under 125-527-1

bigger 125-528

I have a very nice 1985 Poulan CV3400 and considering doing a gasket delete when I pickup some rings for it. Does the head require any work, or can you just toss it and go?

Always measure in four spots first using soft solder to be sure, but all the GDs I’ve done on 3400 & 3800s had plenty of squish, most over 0.050”. Base gaskets are about 1/2mm or 0.020” thick.

If it’s too close, or makes the compression too high, you will constantly break off the fragile plastic starter pulley teeth & those are getting very pricey $30 & harder to find.

Muffler mods with a side pipe work well for them, like the Poulan 4200/5200 series.

83DFAB47-EF27-43A8-B801-9F1BCF704504.jpegF1D351AE-5C36-48E7-8927-E91B866A1E57.jpeg

I did open up the exhaust, and dropped on a 24 inch bar and tuned it in the wood. It gets after it pretty good, but I haven't cut up anything over 14 inches either. I hear about 18 to 20 thousands is the limit on most saws, so hopefully it stay over that for this one. Don't need a huge increase, it does a pretty good job for a 56cc. Its definitely not my old XP266, but it's a good cutter.

Its running a 8ten skip, I thought about doing a full skip or double skip, but it does a very good job with the standard. It definitely doesn't dog out in the white Oak and red Oak so far, but most of what I have is about 14 to 18 inches at best. Its usually doing 12 or less since I got it revived from its decade long hibernation.

Back