NM Pondarosa Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Bowler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I move from CA. 8 years ago. Weird thing is happening to the "tips of a few. I have about 200 Mature here.
What is happening is that something is "chewing/cutting" of @ 12 inches. This happens all year.
What is doing this. Someone told me it may be a Porcupine. I have never seen one here.

I move from CA. 8 years ago. Weird thing is happening to the "tips of a few. I have about 200 Mature here.
What is happening is that something is "chewing/cutting" of @ 12 inches. This happens all year.
What is doing this. Someone told me it may be a Porcupine. I have never seen one here.
Pictures? You, can tell by teeth marks.

Porcupines can do a lot of tree damage.

If there are any teeth marks they would be to small to photo. Could it be Squirrles?
Post some good pictures. 12" off ground or 12" large area?

Squirrels ain't going to girdle trees unless starving. Lots of animals girdle/scrape bark.

This summer, a big one.....

P.S. notice top of tail has no quills, or area on back where tail can cover. When confronted, tail goes over back, then lashes out to deliver quills from bottom of tail. I've had dogs that learned that the hard way.....

They are good eating/survival food. One good wack with a branch between the eyes.......

I don't bother them unless they bother my trees/dogs.

P.P.S. In Vermont, I've found large porcupines eaten out from the inside; fishers at work. They beat them up without getting quills, then flip them over to soft underbelly. Only a hollow carcass left

1 porky 8 19.jpg

I live in a Ponderosa Pine forest and I frequently see what you're describing. It's squirrel work.

Not sure what they try to accomplish, but yes, they chew through the twig and you find the branch end on the ground. My trees are healthy, so I don't see any great harm to it.

I live in a Ponderosa Pine forest and I frequently see what you're describing. It's squirrel work.

Not sure what they try to accomplish, but yes, they chew through the twig and you find the branch end on the ground. My trees are healthy, so I don't see any great harm to it.
That makes since. My girlfriend (20+years) feeds about 4-8 squirrels every day. The trees do not seem harmed at all. BTW, this has been going on at least 8 years.
I'm not going to "interfere" at this point.
Thank you.

Post some good pictures. 12" off ground or 12" large area?

Squirrels ain't going to girdle trees unless starving. Lots of animals girdle/scrape bark.

This summer, a big one.....

P.S. notice top of tail has no quills, or area on back where tail can cover. When confronted, tail goes over back, then lashes out to deliver quills from bottom of tail. I've had dogs that learned that the hard way.....

They are good eating/survival food. One good wack with a branch between the eyes.......

I don't bother them unless they bother my trees/dogs.

P.P.S. In Vermont, I've found large porcupines eaten out from the inside; fishers at work. They beat them up without getting quills, then flip them over to soft underbelly. Only a hollow carcass left

View attachment 1044499

Thank you all who read this Post. There is no issue I have regarding girdling of my trees.
I contacted the State of New Mexico Wildlife Dept. two weeks ago. No response.
Porcupines or Squirrell? Beetles too.
I am not going to "relocate" anything. (Maybe Beetles) Climate Change, Drought in the SW, and the "New Growth" of my 2-300 trees the new growth being "chewed off" is a concern.
Maybe someone will be able to help me. If not thank you for taking the time to read this reply.

Latest posts

Back