No oiler adjustment on my 2017 Husqvarna 450 -20" ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimdlux

Reaction score
Hello, All,

My 2017 Husqvarna 450 Rancher (20" bar) has no chain oiler adjustment--at least not one that I can find. The oiler does work but barely enough to keep the chain wet and the bar from over heating. I have to regularly stop, give it some revs until it throws a line of chain oil. I know i'm burning up chains and bars prematurly.

You can see from the pictures it has the "oiler adjustment icon" --but I see no adjustment screw. I can see down into the oiler pump at the icon. I have disassembled and cleaned and blown out debris and hit everything with some lithium grease--but oiler is slow to function properly.

Is this a factory setting that can't be adjusted? Has some part fallen out? Like I said, the oiler works--but just barely.

Any help? Jim

Attachments

• oiler icon 1.jpg
    oiler icon 1.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 27
  • OLIER pump HOLE.jpg
    OLIER pump HOLE.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 27
The shop manual for the 445 and 450 states...oil pump is not adjustable.

I have a 445 and it is the same as yours...has oil adjustment icon but no adjuster. I bet the bigger saws in this line (455 and such) use the same plastic case but have an adjustment.

To the OP: how much oil is left in the tank when you run out of gas?

My 445 with a 18" bar oils correctly.

IRHUNTER: thanks for the info ... Gas always runs out first.
TRTERMITE --I looked at the Jonsered website. Kinda overwhelming without the actual oiler drive gear specs.

So, "Factory set oiler that is under performing." Hmm.
I suppose a different oiler drive gear with a faster turning thread ... a steeper pitch angle? woulds fix fix the problem.

I contacted a "Husqvarna Expert" (at the Huqvarna website) and got referred to a local dealer. ...maybe an aftermarket gear?
So I called a local dealer and they knew about the problem but had no idea how to fix it. Told them about TRTERMITE's fix with a
Josered part and they tell me Josered is owned by Husqvarna but had no idea about changing out parts for a 450.

So the mystery persists ...

IRHUNTER: thanks for the info ... Gas always runs out first.
TRTERMITE --I looked at the Jonsered website. Kinda overwhelming without the actual oiler drive gear specs.

So, "Factory set oiler that is under performing." Hmm.
I suppose a different oiler drive gear with a faster turning thread ... a steeper pitch angle? woulds fix fix the problem.

I contacted a "Husqvarna Expert" (at the Huqvarna website) and got referred to a local dealer. ...maybe an aftermarket gear?
So I called a local dealer and they knew about the problem but had no idea how to fix it. Told them about TRTERMITE's fix with a
Josered part and they tell me Josered is owned by Husqvarna but had no idea about changing out parts for a 450.

So the mystery persists ...
I had the advantage of having several J'reds on the shelf and one was destined to be a donor for some others. It was partially apart so ... Some how I would think you could cipher which J'red and Husky platforms are alike and then which one has an adjustable oiler to buy for yours then start your search. I vaguely remember trying to mix parts (non adjustable and adjustable) and I would have been up th creek if I didn't have a complete one on the shelf so proceed with caution.
Jonsered 2159 is the sane as a Husqvarna 359 The 2186 as the 395 The 2188 as the 390 The 2152 as the 346XP(?) and you get the idea. There is a lot of info on this site as well as the internet,

Well, the question is, does the OP want a correctly-oiling 450 or an adjustable-oiling 450.

Like I said, my 445 pumps a tank of oil for every tank of gas and oils a 18" bar just fine. It is possible that his pump is just worn out or faulty from the start.

I believe the Husky 34x, 35x & 435, 44x, 45x, 46x (& their J-Red counterparts) oil pumps are all interchangeable. 346xp, 35x & 455 up have the adjustable pump. The pitch on the gear is different between the two, & the pattern that mates to the clutch drum changes between models & series (clutches/drums are also interchangeable, smaller saws are 2 shoe & larger are 3) so a certain amount of "mixing & matching" can be done.
I think at some point there were updates to the moulded lines to address issues with sealing & flow.
My suggestion to the OP... check the bar mount & groove are clean & clear, dump the bar oil, flush the tank thoroughly then run some diesel/kerosene through the system & see if that helps.
Beyond that you need to pull the clutch & the cover plate to remove the pump & check the lines. Best course of action at that point is to just replace them.
The teeth on the drive gear can sometimes get a bit munched too

My 455 Rancher has always only used 1 tank of oil for every 2 tanks of gas. I just figured it was working as designed, but now you all have me worried it's under-oiling.

Stihl has done the same thing. One

I had the advantage of having several J'reds on the shelf and one was destined to be a donor for some others. It was partially apart so ... Some how I would think you could cipher which J'red and Husky platforms are alike and then which one has an adjustable oiler to buy for yours then start your search. I vaguely remember trying to mix parts (non adjustable and adjustable) and I would have been up th creek if I didn't have a complete one on the shelf so proceed with caution.
Jonsered 2159 is the sane as a Husqvarna 359 The 2186 as the 395 The 2188 as the 390 The 2152 as the 346XP(?) and you get the idea. There is a lot of info on this site as well as the internet,
Thanks TR, JD and MS. Bar and chain are new. I'll ck the oil vent and run some diesel through it. Drive wheel-gear shows very little wear. I did find out the J'red 2255 has a cross referenced adjustable oiler for a 455 here -
https://store.chainsawr.com/products/husqvarna-455-rancher-chainsaw-oil-pump-kit - for $25.
What are the chances 2255/455 adjustable oiler will go into the 450 Rancher?

Attachments

• OLIER pum.jpg
    OLIER pum.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
The shop manual for the 445 and 450 states...oil pump is not adjustable.

I have a 445 and it is the same as yours...has oil adjustment icon but no adjuster. I bet the bigger saws in this line (455 and such) use the same plastic case but have an adjustment.

To the OP: how much oil is left in the tank when you run out of gas?

My 445 with a 18" bar oils correctly.

Quite honestly a 20 BC is asking a lot from a 45CC saw. How about getting a 16 inch bar? Your saw will like you more better.
Several good points here. The 450 is apparently not adjustable, but I know the 460 Rancher is because I have one and there is a little screw down that oiler hole by the icon that adjusts the flow. So maybe you can swap the oiler off the 455 or 460 onto your 450 and get an adjustable oiler. The question about how much oil is remaining when the gas tank runs dry is also important. If the oil tank is nearly empty when the gas runs out. I would assume the oiler is working correctly. If there is lots of oil left, I'd say something is wrong with the oiler, like a plugged vent or oil line or partially stripped gears.
And lastly I agree a 20 inch bar is a lot on a 45 cc saw. 16 or 18 inches would be more fitting.

Also remember if you get it to adjust high enough for a 20 inch bar you may run into having the oil tank run out before the gas - not an ideal situation for the chain or the saw.

My 455 Rancher has always only used 1 tank of oil for every 2 tanks of gas. I just figured it was working as designed, but now you all have me worried it's under-oiling.
I'm nearly positive the 455 Rancher can be adjusted right at the place the OP shows on his saw.
Thanks TR, JD and MS. Bar and chain are new. I'll ck the oil vent and run some diesel through it. Drive wheel-gear shows very little wear. I did find out the J'red 2255 has a cross referenced adjustable oiler for a 455 here -
https://store.chainsawr.com/products/husqvarna-455-rancher-chainsaw-oil-pump-kit - for $25.
What are the chances 2255/455 adjustable oiler will go into the 450 Rancher?
Try cross referencing part numbers.

Hello, All,

My 2017 Husqvarna 450 Rancher (20" bar) has no chain oiler adjustment--at least not one that I can find. The oiler does work but barely enough to keep the chain wet and the bar from over heating. I have to regularly stop, give it some revs until it throws a line of chain oil. I know i'm burning up chains and bars prematurly.

You can see from the pictures it has the "oiler adjustment icon" --but I see no adjustment screw. I can see down into the oiler pump at the icon. I have disassembled and cleaned and blown out debris and hit everything with some lithium grease--but oiler is slow to function properly.

Is this a factory setting that can't be adjusted? Has some part fallen out? Like I said, the oiler works--but just barely.

Any help? Jim
The plastic chassis is used on other models as well; you ASSUME that cast in logo means the oiler is adjustable? Ray Charles can see there is no adj. screw, therefore, it has the static oil pump, NOT the adju....as per every 450. Read the manual.....and be happy......the adjustable oilers on the 455 and up were also reason for the dreaded oil puddle....

IF you feel you aren't getting full oil delivery, clean out the tbe...and check the oil tank duck bill breather. ALL of this on the assumption that you aren't using used engine oil.....

I don't believe any cross referencing of PNs will end up with anyone knowing, for sure, the 455 pump will fit the 450. I think we need to find someone with two torn apart parts saws...who will be able to quickly try the swap.

I feel real sure, if working correctly, the 450 pump will correctly oil a 20" bar. My 445 correctly oils a 18" bar. When you run out of gas you should be close to running out of oil. If you have a half tank of oil left when you are out of gas...something is not-as-designed.

For the record...the Husky 450 is a 50 cc farmer/rancher saw (not 45cc as some on this thread think). Husky thinks the 450 will oil a 20" bar...they sell them with 16, 18, and 20" bars.

I agree, that 20" is a tad long for a 50 cc mid-grade saw. But, I have run my 455 and several company Husky 50s...and, I tend to agree with Husky...20" is fine if you are not in the habit of dogging in, with a dull chain, with the bar buried in hardwood, while leaning on the rear handle with your thigh.

After all the OP has done with the saw to fix the issue, I would just buy it a new 450 pump.

I own, and run, a number of pro saws...but, I have always liked running my Husky 445 and Husky 50s.

Back