no spark, still.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm working on a friends Homelite UT10518, Pro4618 chainsaw. I can't get any spark. The spark plug is new. I adjusted the module to flywheel air gap and nothing. I bypassed the on-off switch. I finally replaced the ignition module. There's still no spark. There isn't anything else to change. What am I missing? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Paul

I'm working on a friends Homelite UT10518, Pro4618 chainsaw. I can't get any spark. The spark plug is new. I adjusted the module to flywheel air gap and nothing. I bypassed the on-off switch. I finally replaced the ignition module. There's still no spark. There isn't anything else to change. What am I missing? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Paul
Are you sure the flywheel is turning when you pull the rope, is the plug tightly pushed into the
place its supposed to be, did there come a new plug lead on the new coil or are you using the
older one, is there any way any of the wires on the coil is getting crushed onto a metal part of
the saw when you put the cover on.

Check the flywheel magnets with a piece of metal and make sure the magnets are actually magnetic.

I actually have the pull starter off and am using a cordless drill. I have a bad shoulder and can't keep yanking on the rope. The new module has the plug wire already attached to it. There are only two wires. Both of which go to the on/off switch. One attaches to the coil with a spade connector and the other grounds to the module mounting screw.

To eliminate the kill switch & external primary wiring disconnect it at the coil. The coil only needs ground & the HT lead to work, wiring to the kill switch only serves to stop it.
I'm not familiar with that particular chainsaw but check that you have continuity between the cylinder/spark plug & the earth point of the coil. Some saws don't have the coil mounted to the crankcase & need a bonding strap to complete the earth return

The coil on this saw is mounted directly to the crankcase. Is there any way to check the coil, to see if it's functional, despite the fact that it's brand new?

Back