No start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I borrowed a Stihl 44 magnum, been using it for the last three or so weeks. I used it four or five days ago, shut it off when I was finished for the day.
I tried to start it today but it would not start. I pulled the plug and it was wet with gas. I checked for spark with a spark tester between the plug wire and the plug and I see spark. I put a known good plug in from my MS 250, still no start. The plug from the 44 will run the 250 but after trying to start the 44, no start, pulled that plug and found it wet. So it isn’t a plug problem and is getting gas but it seems like it is getting too much.
What could be happening with this saw after it ran perfectly just days ago?

Remove plug.

Put piston at bottom.

Flip saw upside down and shake. Did any gas come out? If so leave it with piston near bottom and plug removed for an hour or so. This will let excess fuel evaporate out of crankcase. The carb may be flooding the crankcase while it’s sitting.

I’ll try this in the next few days and report back. If gas comes out what does that mean? What would need to be done?

I’ll try this in the next few days and report back. If gas comes out what does that mean? What would need to be done?
I do it when I insist on pulling the tar out of a saw with the kill switch killed. Carb dutifully delivers fuel just like it’s supposed to do, and it pools up in the case. Then fuel charge through transfer ports is way rich, so even when I flip the switch it still won’t start. So I pull some more and add even more raw gas.

How have you stored it? Sitting level, or with bar pointed down?

Choking it to start is normal and necessary. If you pulled it a LOT it may have become flooded that way. And flooding may still not be the reason it won't start. But you first have to dry it out if it is flooded. Then get back to figuring out why it wont start.

But really, I'm like the new dishwasher in a 5-star restaurant in the talemt rankings of this forum. I'm here a lot because I go full-tilt on stuff for a while then go on to the next thing. Right now I'm having fun messing with saws. In a month it may be working on my Ramcharger. Or reloading ammo. Or wrenching on my bike...

So don't put too much faith in any of my ideas. A real saw man will be along if this goes past rookie level.

Flooded. The carb is flooding the engine way too quickly and likely pumping fuel through the decomp valve and out the muffler. It may only need a few choke pumps until it pops. Take it off choke to fast idle, and pull once or twice more. It should fire and start. Your patience will be taxed, but if it fails after this, then I advise installing a new carb.

Note that when choked, the decomp will pop up and need a reset or your right arm or shoulder might fall off after the next pull. These Stihl 044 Mag saws usually have lots of compression.

How have you stored it? Sitting level, or with bar pointed down?

Choking it to start is normal and necessary. If you pulled it a LOT it may have become flooded that way. And flooding may still not be the reason it won't start. But you first have to dry it out if it is flooded. Then get back to figuring out why it wont start.
It had been stored level, but if I remember correctly when I drove to the worksite the saw did tilt a little to one side. I even let it sit for a couple of hours before trying to restart but it flooded again.
Like I said it will probably be a couple of days before I can work with it again.

Flooded. The carb is flooding the engine way too quickly and likely pumping fuel through the decomp valve and out the muffler. It may only need a few choke pumps until it pops. Take it off choke to fast idle, and pull once or twice more. It should fire and start. Your patience will be taxed, but if it fails after this, then I advise installing a new carb.

Note that when choked, the decomp will pop up and need a reset or your right arm or shoulder might fall off after the next pull. These Stihl 044 Mag saws usually have lots of compression.
As I recall it never popped this morning when I first tried starting it and I know it hasn’t during the other times I tried restarting.
I’m aware about forgetting to push the decomp. button. I’ve attempted to pull the rope a few times forgetting to push the button since this is a borrowed saw, but I have used it quite a few times before.

I borrowed a Stihl 44 magnum, been using it for the last three or so weeks. I used it four or five days ago, shut it off when I was finished for the day.
I tried to start it today but it would not start. I pulled the plug and it was wet with gas. I checked for spark with a spark tester between the plug wire and the plug and I see spark. I put a known good plug in from my MS 250, still no start. The plug from the 44 will run the 250 but after trying to start the 44, no start, pulled that plug and found it wet. So it isn’t a plug problem and is getting gas but it seems like it is getting too much.
What could be happening with this saw after it ran perfectly just days ago?
You trusted your fuel can, which may have introduced water, and dirt. Now the carb needs be cleaned. Get a kit, and simply rebuild it. That 044 will roar to life. Looking for off-the-grid reasons won't get you anywhere. Do the work, and start the saw back up!

It is the same fuel I used earlier in the week and has been stored inside my shed so there shouldn’t be a problem with water in the fuel.

This might sound silly, but have you cleaned out the air filter?

I have a rebuilt 036. Cranked the hell out of it the other day,15-20 pulls on choke. No pop. Pulled the s plug and it was dry. Put some vacuum tube from old vehicle on it. Flooded it badly with no pop. So, give it 3 pulls on choke and pull the plug and see what it looks like. I’m not getting a pop on choke. As mentioned above, try 3 pulls on choke and switch to fast idle. After it runs a minute mine will restart with firm/quick pull, no decompression. HTH

The metering lever inside the carburetor is high. See this a lot on older 044 and 046. Dump the gas out of the saw into a glass jar and check for water. Doesn't matter if you got it today, please check. While empty, try to start the saw.
It will be water or inlet lever. As long as you have spark and compression.

Thanks for the help guys. I will try each of these when I get back on it and will post the results.
The air filter has been cleaned, in fact the outer filter is fairly new.

A friend of mine has an 044 magnum he gives me fiewood from time to . the last two times he had his saw running ,cut it off while on track hoe , picked up saw wouldn't start friday I caught problem he was choking it. Not saying you are doing this you obviously know how to use your saw , also as said before the inlet needle may be staying open from a stiff pump. I had similiar problem with my 5105 dolmar and to correct it had to clip corner off the duckbill tank vent, so might be worth checking your tank vent .PS i'm trying to get my friends 044.

Back