Noob needs direction. 372xp OE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prahanien

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So. It has a fresh plug, fresh air filter, fresh fuel filter, muffler is has been replaced with a like for like one knock off (it ran the same before) and a local small engine repair serviced it and “changed/fixed the fuel tank vent”.

It starts great, idles well… for a bit (2-3 minutes). Then it struggles. Runs great at WOT but then will die coming off the throttle. Throttle response isn’t terrific. Only thing I haven’t checked is ignition, I will but was hoping for some direction before I just start throwing darts at the wall.

Sadly it’s just putting me off the brand even though my logical mind knows it shouldn’t.

Have you tried tuning the carb? The L adjustment will help with throttle response and if L is too rich it can load up while idling and stop running.
I have. It doesn’t seem to respond well. Idle adjust responds super slow to adjustment and doesn’t seem to stay at the tune. Idle will go up and then back down a bit. It’s a bit strange. I’ll try again in the morning. The limiter caps are still on. Maybe taking those off will help?

So. It has a fresh plug, fresh air filter, fresh fuel filter, muffler is has been replaced with a like for like one knock off (it ran the same before) and a local small engine repair serviced it and “changed/fixed the fuel tank vent”.

It starts great, idles well… for a bit (2-3 minutes). Then it struggles. Runs great at WOT but then will die coming off the throttle. Throttle response isn’t terrific. Only thing I haven’t checked is ignition, I will but was hoping for some direction before I just start throwing darts at the wall.

Sadly it’s just putting me off the brand even though my logical mind knows it shouldn’t.
Check to see if the fuel line is not collapsing or pinched between the floor of the carb and the top of the tank
And check the impulse hose.

I’m sure it’s been checked, but let’s not jump over anything. If it idles great when it’s cold, dies after a few minutes when it gets warm, but runs at WOT, it could be scoring / transfer of the piston. As the engine warms up, the piston expands and starts to run poorly and the added friction can kill it.

If you can, upload a video. What you think is happening can be easily misinterpreted for something else.

Well, that's out there, but we'll see how this develops :drinkingcoffee::popcorn2:
Thanks y’all. I actually bought it for $250 six months ago. :rock2: I knew it would take some tuning/work. It was meant to accompany my easy peasy ms250. Long story longer. The ms250 I have owned for 12 years and I have only changed the plug and air filter. It starts Every. Single. Time. Idles forever. Throttle blips all day. RELIABLE.

The husky….not so much.

So I might just flip this 372 for 450-500 bucks and use it to fund my Ms400.

I’m rambling now. But same story goes with my guns. I had an Sig Sauer that had a bad magazine with a super strong spring that double fed the first round. So I hate Sig’s now….. yes. I know sigs are great guns….but not to me. I think this 372 has made made me a firm Stihl guy.

Anyhow. Off to bed. I’ll check back tomorrow for the lambasting.

I may say a dumb question but it has a logic in my head.
After it dies coming off throttle, how does it react to restart and running, i mean starting and throttling it right after it dies?
If it dies immediately you have a shot engine, but if the cycle fully repeats, then the issue is on the fuel delivery to the engine

Thanks everyone for your replies. I know husky is a good brand. I just a had bad experience with one. Just sold it. Made a couple hundred. Now I am deciding on what stihl I replace it with. I’m going the two saw 50/70 plan. Thinking ms261 and ms400. Just debating which one to buy first.

Check to see if the fuel line is not collapsing or pinched between the floor of the carb and the top of the tank
And check the impulse hose.
This, or it could have been a cracked fuel line, either where it exits the tank or goes into the carb box - I’ve had a number of Huskies brought to me that showed similar symptoms and the owners did everything except replace the fuel line - in fact, all of them told me the line was in great shape. Each time I found the line cracked at either of those locations. $10 fix…

Regarding the “firm Stihl guy” determination - at least Husky oem parts are affordable and readily available outside of the dealer network…

Back