Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to help explain the area - just down the road (State Route 29) from Bothe Napa Valley Park, is Bale Grist Mill Historic Park. It has the biggest wooden water wheel west of the Mississippi River. So the family members who don't want to talk shop, wood cutting, and logging stuff can go there for a good outing.

Further down the road toward St Helena is Silverado Brewing Co - a craft beer place. Up the road toward Calistoga is Sterling Vineyards & Winery (among many) with a tram ride to their winery on a hill with good views of the valley and surrounding hills. Nearby, there is Castello di Amorosa - our local mid-evil castle - with tours and tastings.

A lot to do for family members who want to get away from the smell of 2-stroke oil :)

Oh, and to reply to Randy's question about Old Growth (OG) - not likely. There might be one or two that were in country to tough to get out, but the same Dr Bale who owned the Grist Mill, also owned a local saw mill back in the day (1850's). He was one of the original land owners with a Spanish Land Grant from General Vallejo. I'm sure he took all marketable trees from this area of the watershed. Then the area was logged again to supply lumber to rebuild SF after the '06 earthquake and fire. Last time through was likely WW-II to supply some material to Mare Island to build mine sweepers and repair wooden tugs. Nothing truly awe inspiring that I have seen, so far. Still, it's a pretty nice re-growth forest :)

Last edited:
I shall consult with "The Warden", and our social calendar to check my availability. It sounds like fun to me, and it'll give me an opportunity to get Randy to autograph some photos......:msp_unsure:

I shall consult with "The Warden", and our social calendar to check my availability. It sounds like fun to me, and it'll give me an opportunity to get Randy to autograph some photos......:msp_unsure:

Oh you're going Jon.............................even if Charles and I have to kidnap you. Are you allergic to ether?:D

You want to list shopping, wine tasting, and spas for family members.

Yeah, so much for $40 covering food costs..............sheesh! Maybe I can leave the family at my mom's house in Sonoma................yeah, fat chance of that.

Yeah, so much for $40 covering food costs..............sheesh! Maybe I can leave the family at my mom's house in Sonoma................yeah, fat chance of that.

I'll bring ya a hotdog and a bag of Fritos.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll print a few classics.

Been clearing the garage, found some #### that I forgot I had. I dug out a long box, it was heavy, found a Yugo M59/66 SKS still in the cosmo, thought for sure I had sold that years ago. I pulled it apart, it is soaking in it now.

I'll bring ya a hotdog and a bag of Fritos.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll print a few classics.

Been clearing the garage, found some #### that I forgot I had. I dug out a long box, it was heavy, found a Yugo M59/66 SKS still in the cosmo, thought for sure I had sold that years ago. I pulled it apart, it is soaking in it now.

Randy,
I hope you realize that I'm serious. I'd frame some of those, and hang 'em up.........even where people can see 'em.......LOL!!!

Randy,
I hope you realize that I'm serious. I'd frame some of those, and hang 'em up.........even where people can see 'em.......LOL!!!

Same here. The 'standing tall while flipping the bird' pic comes to mind, as does the set of pics showing the pines being cut with a PM850 next to those cabins. Then there's the 'lineup' pic in front of the CDF IHC truck, and.......

I haven't run the 1-86 in a couple of years. I have a 3' and 6' bar for it and a box of chain. I'll have to pull it out and try and get it going.

Cooking a whole hog on site is an over night job. It would be easier to pre cook a case of butts and reheat on site or bring them hot.

Same here. The 'standing tall while flipping the bird' pic comes to mind, as does the set of pics showing the pines being cut with a PM850 next to those cabins. Then there's the 'lineup' pic in front of the CDF IHC truck, and.......

...and don't forget the 'lying underneath the Yellow Flash in the middle of a logging road muttering to himself and removing the muffler and tail-pipe' picture. :msp_wink:

redhat.jpg

I have no idea what you're talking about Bob.....

...and don't forget the 'lying underneath the Yellow Flash in the middle of a logging road muttering to himself and removing the muffler and tail-pipe' picture. :msp_wink:

This is not a picture of Humboldt County roadkill...this is what happens when you try to take a Ranchero places a D-7 wouldn't go. Just 'cause they're the same color don't mean 'nuthin.

P6170018.jpg

Eccentric provided technical support....and a big hammer.

P6170020.jpg

We also provided mechanical advice and helpful comments...like, "you gonna take all day with that"? and "remember, righty tighty, lefty loosy".... RandyMac was not amused.

P6170022.jpg

Sorry Randy. I lack the willpower....:D

Back