Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The competing issues of budgeting and command/control are always going to keep things weird. I can absolutely see how they'd refuse a tool outside of standard procedure, and of course I also know better than to let resources go because you can't call them back later. Glad I wasn't the one making that decision.

The competing issues of budgeting and command/control are always going to keep things weird. I can absolutely see how they'd refuse a tool outside of standard procedure, and of course I also know better than to let resources go because you can't call them back later. Glad I wasn't the one making that decision.
It must have been a tough one, I see both sides too but selfishly wanted the scooper planes here, they had promised to stay in the county. Again, selfish, but the LNU and Glass fires would have been handled differently had Calfire air support not be spread so thin across the state.

Love to hear your thoughts on the 747 global super tanker. USFS , rumor has it, has grounded it for the year. What is going on?

ONE OF OUR OWN IS INJURED AND SUFFERING!

Bob Elliot suffered an injury that most don't recover from. He was walking above a hot spring when the ground collapsed underneath him and dropped him into 180 degree water. He survived but suffered second and third degree burns! His recovery will be slow, many skin grafts needed, but his attitude is GREAT. His wife Jill and Bob are posting to his facebook page. Please take a look at it if you can.

As all of us in the FPG know Bob is a great guy. This horrible injury pulls at my heart strings.

The article is good. As most news paper articles, it’s not super accurate. The flume did not collapse. A water wheel arm shattered. But it’s ok. Also I was misquoted. That’s ok too. Any publicity is good. Thanks for sharing Charlie!

Tyler as a former state certified Public Information Officer, PIO, I can understand your frustration regarding being misquoted. I remember speaking with a local newspaper reporter regarding a structure fire we had. We talked at length about our LADDER TRUCK and what it is and what it does. He even asked how much our LADDER TRUCK cost. The next day I was quoted as saying the fire department sent its CRANE to help reach the upper floors and how it could hoist heavy objects. Ugh.

BTW Tyler I have been involved in helping to determine why our redwoods are turning brown. There are many educated guesses but nobody knows the exact cause. My eighth grade education says several factors are coming together to effect our trees.

More to follow.

Tyler as a former state certified Public Information Officer, PIO, I can understand your frustration regarding being misquoted. I remember speaking with a local newspaper reporter regarding a structure fire we had. We talked at length about our LADDER TRUCK and what it is and what it does. He even asked how much our LADDER TRUCK cost. The next day I was quoted as saying the fire department sent its CRANE to help reach the upper floors and how it could hoist heavy objects. Ugh.
Haha!

BTW Tyler I have been involved in helping to determine why our redwoods are turning brown. There are many educated guesses but nobody knows the exact cause. My eighth grade education says several factors are coming together to effect our trees.

More to follow.
Following.

BTW Tyler I have been involved in helping to determine why our redwoods are turning brown.
If it's anything like the Western Redcedar decline we've been seeing up here (Redwoods are in the same plant family, Cupressaceae), it's almost certainly a result of prolonged drought stress. Does it start from the top down via progressively thinning crown?

It does start from the top down but the state pathologist does not believe it is strictly drought stress but a combination of drought, sun scald, wildfire smoke, general air pollution and maybe even aircraft dumping fuel prior to approach. I will try to keep you informed.

Back