Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does start from the top down but the state pathologist does not believe it is strictly drought stress but a combination of drought, sun scald, wildfire smoke, general air pollution and maybe even aircraft dumping fuel prior to approach. I will try to keep you informed.
All those factors point right at climate change. Except maybe the aircraft fuel, unless you are talking about firefighting aircraft specifically. Which would also be in the climate change category. Are we going to see redwoods “migrate” north to cooler wetter conditions?

Jet fuel? Interesting. I know about branch flagging in pines due to air pollution from exhaust near roads (very visible in CA above 3000 ft elevation) but have not heard of jet fuel as an agent of tree decline. Will do a lit search and see what I find.

We are 90 days out so it is time to start packing. Recently I was given several Stihl bike handle weed whackers in various conditions. I salvaged a couple and still have more to go. Is anyone interested in these at no charge?

I also have a perfect FS180 with a clearing blade and stop and two perfect FS250s. Any interest in buying these?

We are 90 days out so it is time to start packing. Recently I was given several Stihl bike handle weed whackers in various conditions. I salvaged a couple and still have more to go. Is anyone interested in these at no charge?

I also have a perfect FS180 with a clearing blade and stop and two perfect FS250s. Any interest in buying these?
Bill, the non-runners are right up my alley. Fixing them up will keep me out of trouble. I'll take whatever comes my way - thanks!

I have an unstartable fs250 as well. Yours if you want Charlie, or I’ll pay you to fix.
I'd be happy to have a go at it. My policy is you pay for any parts needed. Anything more than that is a tip and a bottle of inexpensive red wine is preferred over $.
How quickly do you need it? Can it wait until the GTG? Or do you want to bring it down here and get a tour of the Preserve? Your call.

So it’s getting near fall. FPG GTG is around the corner. November 6-7 weekend of are the tentative dates. Please let me know if you can make it. I’ll be meeting with papa Broc Luno soon to hash out details on work load. It’s not a hazard tree removal year so it might be more fun cutting, milling, possibly an ax throw competition, maybe some climbing. Any ideas for fun stations are welcome. Saw shop is available to any who need to work on stuff. We will be in the horse stables again (regular spot). Pending the new Covid regulations food may or may not be provided but I think I can safely work around that. Be prepared to feed yourself just in case. Also pending weather, campfires will most likely be prohibited. Pray for rain. If it’s storming and wet lets build a nice scandahoovion candle. Can you tell I’ve been to farleyville yet? I’ll reach out to our Oregon friends , they would be a nice addition to the crew. Can’t wait to see you friends.

I'd be happy to have a go at it. My policy is you pay for any parts needed. Anything more than that is a tip and a bottle of inexpensive red wine is preferred over $.
How quickly do you need it? Can it wait until the GTG? Or do you want to bring it down here and get a tour of the Preserve? Your call.
Tour of the preserve?!? Yes! No rush on the repair of the fs250, it’s been in the corner of the shop for a long time. We have a few others. I do like that old whip. I’d love to come down to Taylor soon…

I have an unstartable fs250 as well. Yours if you want Charlie, or I’ll pay you to fix.
Unfortunately Stihl no longer supports the FS 250. If the p&c are good it is likely a coil or carb issue. The coil is about $60.00, I may have one. Carb kits are cheap. I would recommend not buying Chinese on these two parts as they generally junk. As always dump the old fuel, change the filter and add some canned mix or regular mix with some Mechanic in a Bottle (helps to soften the rubber carb internals), change the plug and check for spark. If you use M in a B then let it sit overnight in the carb and flush. (I will bring a box of parts).

In my opinion the FS 250 is a great machine. I have two running plus a box of parts that was my first one (bought new). I recently purchased a Stihl 40-4 line head. It uses heavy short lines that are inserted from the outside and just pulled through when they are worn down. Love it.

Unfortunately Stihl no longer supports the FS 250. If the p&c are good it is likely a coil or carb issue. The coil is about $60.00, I may have one. Carb kits are cheap. I would recommend not buying Chinese on these two parts as they generally junk. As always dump the old fuel, change the filter and add some canned mix or regular mix with some Mechanic in a Bottle (helps to soften the rubber carb internals), change the plug and check for spark. If you use M in a B then let it sit overnight in the carb and flush. (I will bring a box of parts).

In my opinion the FS 250 is a great machine. I have two running plus a box of parts that was my first one (bought new). I recently purchased a Stihl 40-4 line head. It uses heavy short lines that are inserted from the outside and just pulled through when they are worn down. Love it.
Agree on the 250. Except for a couple conveniences (recessed choke knob, ready to start kill switch), I much prefer it to the 240 that replaced it. I want to try one of the fixed string heads. My overwhelming favorite regular string head is the Shindaiwa (Echo?) SpeedFeed 450.

I have the Echo head on a couple trimmers that work in lighter grass, they are great, love the refill method. The Stihl 40-4 is a big heavy head designed for heavier vegetation.

The camp ranger was weed whacking some light grass when he crossed over a yellow jacket nest. He was stung 14 times and was is moderate pain. The next morning after waking up he was happy and hungry. Two hours later I called 911 to have him transported to the hospital. They gave him steroids that really helped him recover.

I have the Echo head on a couple trimmers that work in lighter grass, they are great, love the refill method. The Stihl 40-4 is a big heavy head designed for heavier vegetation.

The camp ranger was weed whacking some light grass when he crossed over a yellow jacket nest. He was stung 14 times and was is moderate pain. The next morning after waking up he was happy and hungry. Two hours later I called 911 to have him transported to the hospital. They gave him steroids that really helped him recover.
We run .130 line which does fine until we get to hardened berry vines and some of the tougher shrubby stuff. If approached slowly, one can "eat" through them but it's all too easy to wrap the line and sometimes pop the head open.

My sympathies to the ranger. Luckily, I've never been stung that many times at once. I'll tempt fate by saying we've been spectacularly fortunate this year - no yellow jacket encounters yet. Fingers crossed I didn't just jinx myself.

I have the weekend of November 6th on the calendar. I plan on being there Thursday afternoon or a Friday morning. Please post a list of tasks so we can pack tools for the jobs. For instance one year we cut low shrubs near the water tank with chainsaws. I have a gas hedge trimmer that would have been perfect for that job and didn't have it with me.

I have a mill that a neighbor gave me last winter that I'll bring. It's brand new and I think the park is a perfect place to break it in.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in November. Thanks for organizing this great event!

Have you guys seen this:
https://www.staypoweredcalifornia.org/Bill under consideration: https://www.staypoweredcalifornia.org/assets/pdf/Assembly_Bill_1346_Berman.pdf

Key quotes:
DIGEST: Requires the Air Resources Board (ARB) to adopt regulations to prohibit emissions from new “small off-road engines” (SORE)—such as those in lawn care equipment or portable generators—to apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as ARB determines is feasible, whichever is later.

Stating that SORE uses include, but are not limited to, applications such as lawn mowers, weed trimmers, chain saws, golf carts, specialty vehicles, generators, and pumps;

What this bill does is mandate no new exhaust emissions credits for 2024 and then it prohibit sales of new small engines after 1/1/28.

Back