Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much are we gonna be doing on the first and last days? Will you guys judge me if I show up in my wife’s Subaru instead of my Cummins? Fuel cost is $225 vs. $425…
I don't catch flack about my Prius. I really doubt your Subaru will be an issue. :D

Friends, I just received some ****** news: the campground and cabins recently became fully booked for the weekend we plan on doing our thing. It’s not a deal breaker completely but does put a hitch in our clove. Kevin, unfortunately no cabins will be available. Bob the up top sites (away from the road noise) I can hold as they are unreservable. Most of the big trees we would likely be putting down will be in populated areas. This is something I was gambling on. And I feel bad about it. I couldn’t block entire areas because our park relies on camping fees to stay almost afloat. If we want to I can bring some logs to the stables for fun cutting cookies and milling. The hazard trees that we were planning on will most likely be impossible without closing large areas. I’m sorry for short notice with this news. We do have the spring area for milling and transportation of some timber/lumber down the canyon. If this information is a deal breaker to anyone I understand. We might be able to tackle a few firs in the dayuse area and if so I will get a chipper this year. I am no event coordinator, obviously, but I’ll do my best to make it fun, just wanted to put this new information out as to not disappoint anyone.

Thanks for letting us know right away. With luck no one's travel plans are already irreversible.
On the bright side, it's good for the park to be fully booked.
Is there a supply of trees that could could be processed into firewood? That's essentially cookie cutting with a purpose and the park makes $ selling the firewood.

Tyler,

It is what it is. I'm still going, I'll still have a great time and we'll get some work done. I'm sure you'll find stuff for yscto do. like Charlie's idea about making firewood too.

Maybe I'll bring some of my big old saws and mill.

The forester comes here in two weeks to tag all the hazards. We have 90 days from that point to get everything down. We could look at a second gathering, maybe in December pending weather. I’ll stay in touch, it sounds like folks still want to come so it’s on still.

70 trees were tagged today and yesterday by state forester for removal. That number is double what it’s ever been. I’ll be able to get some before you get here but will leave the larger for you guys. 75% of them are dead/dying Doug fir. I’ll be blocking off the walk-in sites and a couple sites near the hazard trees for the weekend. We have ten medium sized 20”-36”) up on the hill. Sunday might be best for felling because of sound. Campground is otherwise full.
There are three trees up the hill from the main office. One of those is around 38”dbh. While we are up there I think we should do some fuel management, possibly pull down stuff to chipper(Saturday). Poison oak is there but not as bad as some places in the park.
Most of these firs are recently dead, still have good holding wood, but riddled with widow makers.
When we all arrive we will do our regular walk-through and assess. Saturday morning will be breakfast and tail gate. I’ll get some printed info on poison oak and have it available on the table.
This will be fun. I always fear there won’t be enough to do safely with public around. So sorry about my last post about that. Looks like we have some areas available for felling, I didn’t want to get anybody disappointed when they got here. See you soon!

Erm….shoot. Made plans to party at @Woodslasher’s that weekend…
So what? We can prep Friday, GTG Saturday, Boogie to Napa Sunday and head back whenever. Or, you could do the same thing solo for the last two parts, I had another monkey wrench get tossed my way a day or two ago so I'm still sorting out the rest of that weekend in my books.

Thanks Charlie.

This is what I'm looking for:

Stihl 066 cylinder

Husqvarna 550xp muffler with hardware

I have a Husqvarna 257 that I was told needs a tank. I'll find out exactly what it needs.

I have a Stihl 064 in a box that needs covers, handlebar and other parts. Again, if oarts are available I'll go over it and make a list.

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA for work this week and Boston next week. I'll get into the 257 and 064 when I get home.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to this.

Latest posts

Back